Importing monkey tails - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-05-2003, 10:22 PM   #1
sschind
Importing monkey tails

Have they made it legal to once again import monkeytail skinks.

I am seeing a lot of them on wholesale sheets.

Steve Schindler

Old 09-22-2003, 12:16 PM   #2
herpetological
Yes but only under quotas....

They are said to have been held for 2 years awaiting approval. I personally don't believe them???? Being done however!

Old 10-06-2003, 08:59 PM   #3
smoke
I just bought one...

at a reptile sale. I got a green adult from Xtremereptiles at a show. It looks to be a healthy speciman (male-female?) and has eaten applesauce and a few veggies so I hope all will go OK. I would recomend a CB baby which there are some around, but the price is higher, maybe double. From what I understand the export from the Solomon Islands is shutting down and those that are in the country are all there will be for a while, except for the CB ones. Personally I wouldn't buy one without hand picking or at least a pic from a reputable dealer. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2003, 12:39 AM   #4
Seamus Haley
The skinks were never actully a threatened population...

The Solomon Islands just decided not to "waste" the required funds to do a survey of wild populations for the CITES authorities. Since no population figures were obtained, the species pretty much instantly changed it's status.

My very casual understanding of the recent events, gained from a conversation with a friend are as follows... There was a count done. The species is fine. Export numbers are now back to the controlled levels that they were a few years ago before the ban, but at this point the demand is still pretty high so the price hasn't fallen to it's old levels yet.

Old 10-07-2003, 01:07 PM   #5
herpetological
An emergency meeting was held by CITES and ALL exports have been stopped. What many people do not understand is that this is an Insular species and very vulnerable to outside pressures. Yes, populations are currently still stable???... but, they need protection from over collecting etc..... They have 1-2 babies every 2nd-3rd year. Very difficult for them to replace or recover within those populations. Also, i've seen hundreds of them die after being exported and many come in weak, dehydrated and starved.
This is a problem on the exporters end that needs to be addressed. There's more to it but, i'll go into it when I have more time. Thanks Ray G.HBR

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!