Luc Cauthorn and Matt Cauthorn of Mckenzie_river_reptiles are bad buyers - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:06 AM   #11
Dan Scolaro
Wrong OriginReptiles, the fedex worker accidentally mislabled the boxes and shipped them to the wrong addresses. Bottom line is the buyer harassed and threated to get something he was not entitled for and the offer for the skink was retracted.

Dan

Someone" left a phone message? This thread is making you look worse, Dan.

Bottom line is you shipped his Skinks to the wrong address and never made good on the dead Skink.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:35 AM   #12
Dan Scolaro
Here's the evidence of the threats and extortion from the buyer and his father. I realize now he was feeding fatty pink rodents and force feeding those fat pinks into a skink that eats only snails. He has some gall to ask or threaten with a law suite to get a replacement skink after he killed it disregarding my advice not to force feed it and allow it to eat on it own schedule.

Dan

Dear Dan;
My name is Matt Cauthorn and I have been involved with working with various animals since I was a young boy, I am now 47 years old and have done quite well for myself in Realestate development.
To cut to the chase I have read all of the back and forth e-mails between you and my son luc, I have always warned him to check the persons background before making any agreements with anyone, with you Sir he didn't and now he is paying for it and it has been a good lesson for him.
I got out of this buisness for just this reason, I can remember talking to Applegate, ernie wagner, bob clarke, terry vandeventer and others when we started to see so many scam artists and we where all very bummed because it was something we all loved to do, but it just became a real constant anger we would experience at times, Hell Bob had most of his collection stolen, ron tremper likewise has suffered.
This is what you need to know; We are in the process of contacting the other people that have complained against you and I am taking care of the attorney fees which will be part of the judgement so I will recoup those at some point.
Do you understand at all what you have done? or are you amoral and without any sense of right and wrong.
I am going to give you 7 days from today so Dan that would be the 11th this will give you time to take all of your e-mails to your Attorney, after you are told that you would be smart to keep your obligations at that point I want full payment for the animal that came in unsavable and died the next day because YOU sent them to the wrong place and they just sat there.
I would encourage you to seek counsel but that is up to you.
But know this I have already contacted my Attorney and spent 60.00 which I am willing to forgive that if you play nice,than you can move on otherwise you will receive from me whatever it takes to get a Judgment against you and believe this at your own peril; my pockets are much deeper than yours.
Warmest Personnal regards,
Matt Cauthorn
The attorneys Phone # that will be handling the case Donald A Loomis (541)344-8333

Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:

Sorry to tell you this, But the thin one died today....I had been pinkie pumping it, this was the second time. It was collapsing and I knew I needed to get some food energy in him. I was too late. I had pinkie pumped him two days ago but he regurgitated half of it. So he only ate half a pinkie the whole time I had him! Keep me updated and sorry that this didn't work out. Shit happens. I froze him, and will ship him on request. I think that the pet store guy must have left them in the deli cups you shipped them in, or something, because like I said they drank for two-three minutes each when I received them! All the other ones look fine and are eating like crazy! I am feeding them smaller snails and more of them, that seems to work well. Thanks,Luc Cauthorn

Danscolaro@aol.com wrote:
Luc, I will replace the thin one this summer when I get more if it does not make it. Dan

I found out that he lied to me on their age.

In a message dated 4/2/2008 1:51:11 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
Hi Dan,

I was looking at some adds on kingsnake.com and came accross this

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=34&de=564420

I e-mailed the guy and he said that they are 6 months old...I thought why are mine so small. After all they are "06s"

Maybe you meant 06 like 6 months?

Thanks,

Luc Cauthorn

Dan Writes:
well I was told the ones I sent you were yearling born in fall of 2006. I had some others as show in my advertisement that were born fall of 2007 that were tiny 3-4 inchers and that is what you paid for but I sent you the larger ones that were supposed to be a year old. Dan

luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
Actually I paid for 06's, and recieved 07's, that weren't healthy. I should send you pics of what they look like now that they are being fed.

When do you think you will get in another. She was a female.

Thanks,

Luc Cauthorn

Subject: Re: (no subject)
To: luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com
Date: Wednesday, April 2, 2008, 2:10 PM

Luc, I looked at my spreadsheet and its marked with retail sales prices for 07's and you were kindly shipped 06 specimens at a discount that were quite robust, thick tailed, feeding frequently, and all appearing quite very healthy. I do not know what happened to the other's that arrived thin but it left here healthy and fat like the rest of them. I could also ad that the pet shop they were mistakenly directed to did not report anything wrong with them so can only imagine they were unfortunately chilled, but that is a risk you take when your order reptiles in the middle of winter and live in a cold climate. Perhaps next time I would suggest to obtain specimens during warmer climate conditions to avoid any issues. I also do not appreciate any insulation that the animals were not healthy after I held them here for you for 4 months without a boarding charge. I examined each specimen before shipping and they are had thick tails, good digits, clean poops, were quite spunky, and don't know what happened to that sad one with the thin tail. I have already agreed to work an arrangement for another skink but keep in mind that those skinks were your skinks 4 months ago and they could have been shipped any time before then. Dan

In a message dated 4/3/2008 5:41:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
Hi Dan,

"4 months ago and they could have been shipped any time before then."

what does that mean?

Are you taking back your word of sending me another one?

Thanks,

Luc Cauthorn

Date: Thursday, April 3, 2008, 8:01 PM

Means you ordered the skinks 4 months ago and put down the deposit and I held them for 3 months and they could have been shipped any time if paid in full. Dan

In a message dated 4/3/2008 11:25:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
Yeah, they were part mine and also part yours...Do you know when you can ship out the replacement?

Date: Thursday, April 3, 2008, 9:26 PM

I think I informed that I will not get more until this summer perhaps. Dan

In a message dated 4/4/2008 12:00:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
OK. What would her age be?

Date: Thursday, April 3, 2008, 10:32 PM

I am not sure until I get them but they would be 07 or 08 specimens. Dan

In a message dated 4/4/2008 12:48:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
I paid for 06's.

Date: Thursday, April 3, 2008, 11:24 PM

I think you need to listen closely. I sent you 4 healthy skinks at a discount price. When there is any discount applied to any sale, then there are no guarantees. In addition, I held your animals at no cost and did not charge a boarding fee. Unfortunately something happened to one of your skinks during transit and I have agreed to disregard the no guarantee and replace the skink when I get another if you pay the shipping. That is the best I can offer in these circumstances. If you continue to bug me about stuff and pick at me for a bunch of stuff that only aggravates, then I am not sure I will allow any follow up with this situation. Dan

In a message dated 4/4/2008 11:04:38 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
Dan,

You are not being honest. You shipped the skinks to a pet store instead of me, and their stuff went to me. They sat in that pet store for three days probably cold and without water or food. That was clear when I received them. "I sent you 4 healthy skinks at a discount price. When there is any discount applied to any sale, then there are no guarantees." I have never heard of this in my entire life, you should have stated that. "In addition, I held your animals at no cost and did not charge a boarding fee." I am doing/giving someone a payment plan on viper geckos, if I told them that I wanted a boarding fee they would think that I was crazy. I am also doing a payment plan on some R. Leachianus, there is boarding fee.

And Dan I have e-mails from you saying that you would correct this and keep your word and good name....(shipping) (08 specimen)???

Thanks,
Luc Cauthorn

(these bottom e-mails are from him, I did not even have time to reply to him!)

1) "You might keep in mind that I only have live arrival guarantee on lizards and my extended guarantee applies only to snakes, not lizards or anything else, so it went beyond my normal guarantee to offer to replace the one that obviously dehydrated during the trip and actually am not obligated to replace it in the first place. But if you are going to sit there and call me names, then I am not going to be eager to follow up with your issues. Dan"

2) "Luc, I don't appreciate your attitude and name calling. As you know, I did not ship the skinks to the wrong address, it was my agent who made the mistake. I asked you nicely to stop bothering me about it and you seem to wish to continue for some odd reason. I don't like to be harassed and ask you do not contact me further. Dan"

3) "I will contact this summer when I get another batch. Until then, I ask you to not harass me further. Dan"

After this things got worst he blocked my e-mail so I had to use a different account to get get ahold of him!
Why does he want to contact me this summer...Why can;t he just tell me if I am going to end up with three male pink tongue skinks and one female, that are of different ages! I ordered 2.2 06's!

I wrote:
Dan, This is not harassment. This is trying to make sure that you do not just send me a 08 unsexed specimen, and expect for me to pay for shipping. I am in no way name calling. You guaranteed healthy animals and live arrival. I got the live arrival, but you also gave a 48Hrs guarantee that if I found a problem then I needed to report it, which I did. I don't understand why you don't just replace the animal. I am sorry that your helper shipped them to the wrong addresses...You are still responsable.

Thanks,
Luc Cauthorn

P.S. Dan you can't just block my mail. I am going to have to call my lawyer, this is ridiculous

Luc, how old are you? I asked you 10 times not to harass me and you continue to harass. Are you a nut or a 10 year old?

Dan

Luc, Your harassment has caused me to retract my offer on a replacement. It is illegal for you to threaten me with legal action and I am going to block your email now. Please have your attorney send any correspondence to my business address. Also, let him know the skinks departed here healthy and arrived there alive. And grow up and get your mom's approval before using the internet.

Dan

I contacted my attorney, he said that I could probably win but would have to fly down there and bring him to court down in flordia! So this muck gets away with ripping another person off! please don't buy from him, he lies, changes stuff around especially his TOS and fakes harrasment!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:57 AM   #13
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Scolaro
It is illegal for you to threaten me with legal action
WTF?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:17 AM   #14
Dan Scolaro
I was writing too fast and in a hurry but mean't he can be held liable for my legal expenses if I pursue representation via an attorney from any legal threats he takes as his case/claim is obviously bogus.

Dan

Old 04-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #15
David Scarboro
Dan, You have thrown all sorts of accusations around in both of these threads. You have stated that the father threatened to steal your collection. You have stated that it is not your fault that the shipper sent the package to the wrong address and various half baked statements. If you are not going to make good on the skink, you should probably exercise your right to remain silent!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #16
Lucille
Quote:
I was writing too fast and in a hurry but mean't he can be held liable for my legal expenses if I pursue representation via an attorney from any legal threats he takes as his case/claim is obviously bogus.

Dan

Dan

I think you are mistaken about the 'obviously bogus' status. The other thread has over 100 posts; that in itself seems to say that there are several vigorous points of view.
Is this person in fact a minor? Has he or his father said that they are now represented by an attorney? Has the attorney contacted you?
People threaten legal action all the time and sometimes the threat is just a tactic; while they may have sought and paid for advice if they had actually engaged an attorney to represent them the demand letter would come from him.
The buyer's father claims to have 'deep pockets'. How much money are we actually talking about here what with the skink replacement costs?

I have to say, after reading posts in this particular forum for years, that if something goes wrong with the shipment before the buyer receives his purchase, the people who come out best in terms of reputation and customer service will go ahead and make it right.
Someone has to eat the cost of such mishaps; if you can establish that a customer can feel confidence when ordering from you in the long run, not only is the customer happy but you will be too because people will have faith in your business and order more from you.
Some business losses are deductible too, check with your accountant.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #17
E2MacPets
Why is this thread being allowed to continue? The other thread, which was started first, has not gone in Dan's favor so he posts effectively the same accusations here. This is retaliation and a ploy to divert attention away from the fact that Dan has handled this transaction completely wrong. Very shady.

Dan you know what libel is, right? Back up your claim that Luc and Matt have threatened to steal your collection, or you will have a fully legitimate claim against you if they choose to go that route.

Dan Scolaro bad guy

Old 04-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #18
OriginReptiles
Copout...

Quote:
Wrong OriginReptiles, the fedex worker accidentally mislabled the boxes and shipped them to the wrong addresses. Bottom line is the buyer harassed and threated to get something he was not entitled for and the offer for the skink was retracted.

Dan

Someone" left a phone message? This thread is making you look worse, Dan.

Bottom line is you shipped his Skinks to the wrong address and never made good on the dead Skink.

You blame the FedEx worker, you blame the customer, you blame the Father...seems to ALL of us that you are to blame.

How you can come on here and keep saying that its FedEx's fault is AMAZING to me...its YOUR responsibility to label these boxes or ensure they are labeled correctly by another.

Sad to say, you truly are a BAD GUY in this instance.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
Dan Scolaro
Naw, this kid has a track record of claiming dead stuff and this post is an appropriate warning to prospective buyers/sellers to avoid such crap if every buy this kid makes includes something he claims dead or thin.

His father hid references to robbery/suffering in his letter to attack me to avoid an assault charge himself. If you think he was mentioning that stuff in defense of his child, then that is fine with me because what matters is how the threat was conveyed by me.

And I never claimed he or anyone was at fault or that the buyer made threats of robbery. The terms were live arrival and he got live arrival and an offer of another skink. He harassed many times for more than what he bargained for and I asked nicely for him to stop this behavior which eventually he did not and it terminated the extended guarantee. Afterward, I told his father I would reconsider the free skink later when I got them from the breeder, and despite that reconsideration, they started a nasty and lying thread, so its par for the course for their behavior.

Sellers/buyers should not be bullied, plain and simple.

I mean look at one of the several emails below that people I don't even know sent me on this buyer.

Dan

Dan,

I was just reading over the thread on the BOI, I've got no dog in this hunt but you may want to point out to everyone that this kid purchased some geckos from JMG reptile

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=110125

what do ya know ?! Some of those died and were replaced by JMG !!

Behold, this kid puts them right back up for sale here http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=31&de=583159

I've been in this business a long long time........its sounds to me like this kid orders stuff, claims it dies or doesnt know how to take care of the stuff and it dies....then wants replacments.

You may want to ask around or make a posting to see if this kid has done the same thing with other sellers/breeders out there.

Anyways.........dont bring my name up as I have no beef in this, but I wanted to point that out to you.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #20
Mckenzie_river_reptiles
"Half or most of the terms of other reptile companies say they are not responsible for shipper delays and errors but at least I offered to replace any skinks that might be harmed due to shipper error"

DAN THAT IS YOUR FAULT!!!! HOW ARE WE GOING TO GET THAT THROUGH TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!

DAN JEFF IS A "GOOD GUY" WHAT IS UP WITH YOU SAYING THAT I AM BUYING ANIMALS SAYING THEY ARE DEAD AND RESELLING THEM?

I will post some pics of all the eggs and babies I have produced....If that is needed?
its convienent that all your support is by phone???

-Luc Cauthorn

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!