My new baby beardie... help me identify the morph - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
waddlecaudle
My new baby beardie... help me identify the morph

So I went into Petco today and looked through the reptile section (which I often do without buying). This time something caught my eye. I had no intentions of buying anything, but I had to get this little beauty:

I am calling it a her for now, and she is an absolute princess. Total sweetheart. She may look dark there, but look at how she looks next to a normal bearded dragon.

Does anyone have any clue what kind of morph this is, if it is one at all? I have been looking all over and I found an old forum that said that it was some fluke freak gene (banana ball with pythons?) morph. Has anyone figured this out? Not like it matters, don't expect her to be going anywhere (so don't think it will hurt my feelings if you say it is some crap genetic default that no one wants haha).

Also she is not cold, she went outside with me today where it was ~90 and basked in the sun for a while and then went back into her new enclosure where here basking spot was 112. She is actually about to shed, and in the few places some has flaked off she is even darker, but the orange looks like it is about to pop out on her back.

I will get some better pics tomorrow just wanted some input.

Thanks guy.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
waddlecaudle
Weird I cant get my images to embed from imageshack.

PIC 1

PIC 2

Old 09-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
cook1337
sad to see them on sand like that. if you're reffering to the dark one, shes is just a normal, but its highly possible for her to turn out red/orange/yellow as an adult, there's really no way to tell until they hit about 6-7 months what they will most likely look like as an adult. just keep her under proper uvb and fed well and you will be fine. you can go to beardeddragondotorg for a lot of great info.

id suggest you post in there in the intro forum with a pic of your set up and they will tell you everything you could possibly want to know any more.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
waddlecaudle
Yea I know, sand is bad enough but for babies it is a shame. Don't worry, he is in good hands now. Goes out daily for natural sun on top of his uvb and heat lamps in his enclosure. He has a zoomed tank mat for his flooring and is doing well on it. I have seen a lot of beardies in my day, a friend of mine used to breed them, and I have never seen one as dark as this one. I have been looking online for a while now and like I say only found the one from bloodbank with freak genetics.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
cook1337
shes just rocking her dark colors, there are plenty of babies that look like that (not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but..)

the last one turned into this

and them being dark doesn't just mean they are cold, considering they mostly sleep with their bright colors/white bellys on when its coldest in their tank(night time), it can mean anything, stress, hungry, not happy about something, or just for no reason. there are some beardies who rock them 24/7, and babies are especially known to keep their heavy stress marks on their belly until they are 4-6+months old. everything is all big and scary to them, they don't want to look like a nice treat.

that other beardy though, right in front of yours, thats a pretty one, looks healthy/happy for being in such crappy conditions.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
cook1337
and to post an image, they have this really really handy icon that looks like a picture, you click that and it gives you the image tags [img][/img] , image shack also offers a link with the tags already in it.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
waddlecaudle
I have those links in my first post, that is what the spaces are for, they just didn't post for some reason. I tried it again in the first reply (the spaces between the links) and it does the same thing. Any idea why? I have a beardie already, they are great pets and no bubble bursted I know they sleep lighter, my big beardie is a chameleon I swear it and sleeps almost completely white. I just wanted to say that he wasn't cold because that can be a contributing factor. I will post pics as they update, I hope it stays dark. You got some beautiful beardies yourself there cook.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
cook1337
thanks but those aren't mine haha

these are my two

and

those pics are 2 weeks old though, my younger one, the leatherback in the 3rd pic, has already changed a lot. she's growing/getting lighter color'd every week.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
waddlecaudle
The first one has crazy nice colors (don't get me wrong the other two look good too) I am going to try to post some more pics of my girl soon. The pictures I have don't really do her justice, shes a beauty (dark or not her colors/patterns are great). And the thing is, she isn't dark brown... she is black and gray. Looks cool, will get some new ones soon. Thanks for posting the pic in the thread don't know why it won't do it for me

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!