What is the difference in Central American, Columbian, South American, etc. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-02-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
jeffatus
What is the difference in Central American, Columbian, South American, etc.

What is the difference in color/size in some of the common boa strain's/locality's? I read that Columbian Red Tails get much larger than their Central American cousins. What about south american boas? Is there a big difference in size? Are there any that keep their gray color as they age?

Thanks for the info. I hope there are not too many questions......

Old 03-02-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
Tripple H Herps
BCC (south american boas) tend to be slightly bigger then the rest. You can expect a BCC to become 10' as an adult. A columbian boa (BCI), tends to only grow to a length of about 8'. A central american boa tends to top out at 6'. I persoanlly like the BCC boas the best. They all tend to keep there silver color and there tails only get brighter as they age. I have seen this in particular with Peruvian red tails and suriname red tails.
Jim

Old 03-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
robin d.
as far as what's the difference betweencentral american and colombian and south american boas... well first off central american and colombian boas are both bci. i am not sure what you mean by south american boas because colombia is in south america... and bci are distrubuted through out many countries in south america. Other than the obvious locale differenes, color and size and patterning are other differences... central americans tend to be smaller than their south american bci cousins. now while central american boas do vary they tend to not excede 7-8 feet in length where as their souther american bci cousins can attain lengths up to 10+ (10+ not being very common but not rare either) feet. ALLOT of time central american tend to have a darker body color and circle back patterning is also more common.. the south american bci tend to be lighter than their central american cousins and tend to have the basic saddles little to no circling and no peaks.BCC or true redtails are the big boys... they range in color from greys to yellows, purples, pinks, browns and blacks. most BCC with the exception of peruvians generally have peaked saddles....and side with nice "medalioon shaped side patterns and usually some color shift... usually pinks or purples.... these guys can reach lengths of 12+. other south american boas include b.c. amaralli, b.c. occidentalis, b.c. longicauda and i cant think right now but i am sure i am missing some.

*note: when speaking of central american boas i am speaking of mainland boas and not any of the insular forms... those generally are quite different than their mainland counter parts

Old 03-02-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
sschind
so what about the "columbian red tails" to my knowledge, "Columbian boas" are BCI but I read somewhere that there was a dividing line (a mt range perhaps) that separated the columbian boa BCI from the "Columbian Red Tail Boa" BCC. I understand all of the other BCI/BCC stuff but there seems to be a bit of confusion with the columbians. Espescially among those who would rather save the term "red tail" to refer to BCC only.

Steve Schindler

Old 03-02-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
robin d.
that is a question i can not answer but i know someone who can... so if you can be a bit patient i will try and get gus to answer

Old 03-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
robin d.
i do not know about the geographical area... i mean of course scalation saddle count and tail blothes... head shape ect. those are going to be what differs between any bci or bcc... but as far as physical geographic markers such as mt. ranges and what not i am not sure... but i sent Gus an email

Old 03-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #7
robin d.
http://www.riobravoreptiles.com/boas_colombian.htm

here is an explanation on his site. he wrote me back and i am awaiting any more info

Old 03-03-2005, 11:38 AM   #8
jeffatus
Well, It sounds like I can not have my cake and eat it too...not that there aren't some beautiful central american boas out there, I just really liked the grey color as opposed to the beige. I had what must have been a imperator when I was in high school that was sold to me as a red tail. As it got older, it lost the brilliance in the red tail and turned more beige. It was a great snake and was very docile, but once it reached around 6 ft, my mom made me get rid of it for a smaller snake.

I am looking for another one now and adult size is important if I want to keep it long term (I now have a wife instead of a mom that I have to appease). If you have any reconmendations, I appreciate it.

One more thing, it can not be a rare snake, I am on a budget.

thanks again

jeff

Old 03-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #9
robin d.
check out http://www.riobravoreptiles.com and look at some of the northn mexico boas and insular boas.... these guy tend to be smaller... some to look for are hog island boas, corn island boas,rotan boas sonoran boas and tarahumara boas

Old 03-03-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
robin d.
here is the email i recieved from Gus:

Quote:
There's a fair explanation of this at my website.. in general everybody is
right..

1) BCC are usually the bigger snakes (though I've seen plenty of 8-9 foot
BCI, including from places like Costa Rica and N. Central America).. and
common Colombians grow fast and get large.

2) Both subspecies are found in Colombia with the BCC restricted to areas
in the EAST and somewhat to the south of the country.

3) Because there often isn't a lot of difference in the way these things
look in the areas where they intergrade naturally we have to rely on things
like scale-counts to tell the difference on many of the Colombian BCC... in
fact many people have Colombian boas which would come out as BCC if you used
only scale-counts, and they don't know it. But in some few areas real
BCC-looking redtails are found in Colombia, I've seen them and they have
many of the looks that we expect from redtails from further east. We see
very few of those here.

Hope this helps..

Gus
A. Rentfro
RioBravoReptiles@rgv.rr.com
http://www.riobravoreptiles.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!