BAD GUY Ryan Blakley Walter's World of Pets/ Wild Ryno Inc - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
Kingetula
BAD GUY Ryan Blakley Walter's World of Pets/ Wild Ryno Inc

I really didn't want to take this bad situation to the street but after sleeping on it and be encouraged to take it to the BOI I feel what happened should be said and people made aware of Ryan Blakley of WildRyno.net

I like to do business over the phone. Much of what we talked about and agreed on is lost in time and can't be proved as Ryan told me yesterday but he did like that I gave him my credit card, signed a VR waiver and a few emails he can hold against me if I decide to dispute the credit card charge. Of course he said this over the phone and I can't prove it but I also didn't think this guy would be like this. So out of respect to him I will try and avoid he said she said stuff and just tell it like it is.

Here are the emails, after the emails I will go into more detail.

Original Message -----
To: <ryno@waltersworld.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:43 PM
Subject: Message about: Venezuela Guarico Rattlesnakes
> *************
> NOTE: This message was sent to you via the Kingsnake.com Classifieds.
> If you feel this message is fraudulent or abusive please forward it to
> *************
>
> Venezuela Guarico Rattlesnakes
>
> How much for a pair 1.1? I've never hear of these before. Do you have any
> info on them (or links)

His reply...

They are a small species of Durissus from Venezuela. A pair is $1700. Give
me a call and I will answer any questions you have.
Thanks,
Ryan Blakley
Walter's World of Pets/ Wild Ryno Inc.
3020 34th St. Lubbock, TX 79410
806-741-0123
www.waltersworld.net
www.wildryno.net

So I did give him a call.

He showed me pictures of the male but didn't have any of his females. I told him I wanted to see the females and or the one he wants to pair up with the male. I don't like buy blind and when this kind of money is involved I defiantly want to be happy with what I get. I asked him how the females looked and he told me they looked great. I told him everything sounded good and I would get a pair but before he ships I want to see the pictures of the females so I can agree and complete the deal. He told me no problem he would send them in a few days. I said fine I will go ahead and pay you. I signed a VR release and he billed my credit card. I didn't think it would be a problem if I didn't like the snakes for him to refund the money as he knew I was waiting for pictures of the females to complete the deal.

My next email I sent him was on Thursday, I didn't receive and pictures so I sent him this just to make sure he understood before he ships I want to see the females.

Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 6:30 AM
Subject: Re: Message about: Venezuela Guarico Rattlesnakes

> Hey Ryan,
>
> Before you ship I would like to see the male and female in several
> pictures just so I can agree. I don't like buying blind so to speak. I
> think it's best that the buyer (me) agrees to what is being sold and sent
> to him to avoid any problems later on. I think you can understand and
> appreciate this request.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

He replied but with pictures of the wrong snakes and I sent him this email...

Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2007 3:36 PM

> Ryan,
>
> Thanks for the pictures but what I wanted was to see the female pifanorum
> that you wanted to match up. I hate buying blind and want to agree before
> we go through with this this.
>
> I'll call you in a bit.
>
> Thanks Scott

he got back with me with a few more pictures and no comments...

I replied with this email

Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2007 7:10 PM

> Hey Ryan,
>
> Thanks for the pictures. To be honest and I may be a little picky but I'm
> not feeling it. Maybe the color or patterns on them but I sat here for a
> long time and I just can't find one I really like. (One reason I wanted to
> see them before they shipped and we completed the deal) If it was a
> $100.00 snake I wouldn't be so picky but for the price they are going for
> I really want to be happy with what I get. Can I catch you one the next
> litter?
>
> Let me know, thanks
>
> Scott

At this point I called a few times just to make sure he didn't send the snakes and let him know I wasn't happy with the females I saw.

He called back and was pretty rude. He definitely got the message across to me that I was scum for wasting his time and that I am not a man of my word when I make a deal. I told him it sounds like we wont be doing business in the future and he said that is the point I am trying to make. I told him I understood loud and clear. He wants to charge me 25% = $400.00 for restocking fee (For his time wasted taking pictures and coming in on his day off) I told him he knew the deal laid on the pictures he took 3 days to send me. If he had them available the day I first contacted him I would have said no way. I told him several times I don't like buying blind.

I tried to be cool with him but he is very good at trying to make someone feel like they are wrong. However he probably forgets the deal we made was pending on the pictures. I told him $400.00 was crazy and he told me to come up with a figure I should pay him for his time. That he has a restocking fee hanging in his shop. (Of course it's not posted on his site, on his receipt he sent me and didn't tell me this over the phone) Of course I didn't think he would act like this as we agreed the deal depended on the pictures.

I told him I would get back with him because I didn't know what was fair if anything. An hour or so went by and he sent this email to me.

Scott,
I have not heard back from you about the restocking fee. I will either
issue you the full amount in a credit towards another animal, or charge you
the restocking fee. Let me know which you prefer. I think from our talk on
the phone you knew you were not doing the straight up thing. I also know
you didn't feel good about it as I don't. There is nothing that is more
distasteful to me that someone that doesn't live up to their word, and
causes me time and labor.
Thanks,
Ryan Blakley
Walter's World of Pets/ Wild Ryno Inc.
3020 34th St. Lubbock, TX 79410
806-741-0123
www.waltersworld.net
www.wildryno.net

Doing the straight up thing? I didn't feel good about how he acted knowing he and I made a deal. (Of course as he pointed out I have no proof because it was made over the phone and not by email)

I replied with this winded letter..

Ryan,

I appreciate the effort you went through to get pictures of the snakes
for me. I tried to show you that I am a stand up guy and that I was serious
about purchasing them from you by giving you my credit card information and
setting up the purchase. I was under the assumption that you were a stand up
guy as well and wanted me to have exactly what I wanted. I would like you to
show me that you are that person and do the right thing. I would like to be
able to do business with you but you should know that I expect perfection
with the snakes I purchase. That is why it was so important for me to see
what I was getting before the transaction was complete. I have purchased
several other snakes from different vendors and have not been disappointed
yet. I was hoping to get the same professionalism from you . Please do not
disappoint me. If you stand behind your product then I would think this
would not be a problem. I don't just hand over a large sum of money for
something I am unhappy with. Would you? I'm sure that you wouldn't. Please
do the right thing. I really do not want either of us to put in the time and
effort that we will have to if we are unable to settle this man to man. I
can only hope that you are the professional that you made yourself out to
be. I gave you the money trusting you would do the right thing if I was
unhappy in any way when I saw the pictures of the snakes you sent me 3 days
later. I sent you the email Friday because I didn't get those pictures and
wanted to make sure I was happy with what I was buying. I am not.

Credit towards another animal? Ryan I would have done that if things went a
different way with us and they sure could have. You picked the path we took,
you have told me you don't want to send me these snakes now and that you
don't want to do business with me in the future. That is how it will be
Ryan. I told you I got the message loud and clear. I'm sorry it turned out
this way.

I have contacted my credit card company and informed them of what is going
on. I had the gentlemen with the credit card company view your terms on the
website where it doesn't state a restocking fee and note it just in-case it
changes tomorrow nor does it state it on the receipt in fine print. You
state there is a sign in your TEXAS shop about a restocking fee but not
large enough for me to view from Florida. In the event you try to send the
snakes, I will not accept them as I have told you I don't want them and you
have told me you don't want to do business with me. The credit card company
is aware of the situation and notes have been made that there is no wording
in your terms or anywhere on your site of a restocking fee just in-case you
decide to update the site. Had you handled this a little more professionally
I would have had no problem paying you a little for your time and or bought
other things from you. Not because I am wrong but because I try to be fair.
I made the payment for the snake to show you I was serious about getting
them under the understanding I would get pictures of the females and agree
that they are what I wanted. The credit card company has refunded my credit
card and will investigate. I did speak with them and because nothing was
shipped, no notes of restocking fees and I did cancel the order they see no
reason why I will loose. I believe you are just one of those bad guys, yes I
changed my mind but that doesn't make me a bad guy. If I told you I didn't
care what you sent me and when I got the snakes told you I didn't want them,
that is wrong. However I did ask for pictures and you knew I wanted to
approve the snakes before you shipped and we went through with this deal.

If I was in your shoes I wouldn't like what happened but it does happen. I
would tell you (if you were me) sorry it didn't work out and have a nice
day. I would keep my comments to myself and if I felt like you, would just
avoid you in the future. But I wouldn't do that, I'm a better guy and
wouldn't be rude to customers, customers will come back if you treat them
right. My mistake, trusting you and giving you my credit information before
you sent pictures of the snakes and believing that you knew that I may turn
the deal down if I didn't like the snakes when I saw pictures of them and
you knowing that was what I was waiting for to complete the deal.

I've talked to a few people about this situation and all but one told me you
sound like a flake but one did say at most I should give you $50.00 for your
time if it is that big of a deal to you. I don't agree but I will make that
offer to you.

Thank you and I am sorry are path in life didn't meet on better terms.

Scott Crawford

I posted in General herp talk at Fauna to get some advice and sent him this next letter after I received some help.

You know what Ryan, I retract my offer of $50.00 I want a full refund.
People take pictures of $15.00 snakes and people turn them down all the
time. You are unbelievable. The right thing to do was to refund my credit
card and tell me to have a nice day. You took it in the wrong direction.

Scott

Yes, in todays world I made that mistake of trusting someone to do the right thing. We agreed the deal depended on the pictures and that I approved. I gave him payment and signed a VR release form so yes I had every intention to go through with the deal if I found a female I liked. Instead of being a Good Guy he took us down a horrible path. I value my rep and yes have I made mistakes but I also learn from them. I don't expect everyone to like me or agree with me but I do expect people to treat others as you would want to be treated. I understand no one likes to waste their time but from the start I told him the deal was not a sure thing till I saw pictures of the snakes he wanted to send me.

I could go on and on over everything that was said but there is no need for that. The point is he should of refunded the money and if he was that pissed he could have just avoided me in the future. Instead he gave his company a black eye IMO. Of course I'm sure he sees all this in diffrent shoes and that I am the scum bag but either way just refund the money and be done with it.

I know there are good people out there in the herp world but unfortunatly Ryan took us down a path where we now see each other as a Bad Guy.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
Kingetula
I am working with the credit card company but Ryan can make things easier. If and when he tells me he has issued a full refund I will post here that it has been done.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Justin Mitcham
LOL...how can he charge you a restocking fee when the snakes never left his "stock"?
400.00 is just rediculous.
Sounds like he had a feeling you wouldn't like the females..hence the trouble getting pics of them!! I could perhaps understand if he sent you the snakes, they were as promised and you just decided to send them back because you lost interest or something(buyers remorse)..now I can see a restocking fee being applicable in that situation.
But this is definently not that situation if you are stating things truthfully.
From your emails it plainly states you wanted to see the females before you made the purchase, you saw the pics and decided they weren't what you wanted..(this all could of been avoided by having proper pics of all the animals in question beforehand).
He was well aware there was possibility you may pass...or he wouldn't had to go take pics of them...common sense!!
Thig guy is out of his mind unless he can prove you agreed to this crap beforehand!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
Kingetula
Justin Mitcham,

I did agree to buy them and I made every effort to go through with the deal but it laid on my approval of the females he had. I did pay him but I can't prove our conversation or deal we had over the phone but I did make several attempts by email stating this was what I was waiting on and I am glad now I have that proof because this guy really would have made me look like scum. Even if he comes back saying he didn't agree (He did) he should have spoke up several times when I brought it up in my emails that the deal was pending on my approval of the females. Of course he did agree to the deal and knew why I kept asking for pictures and sent me them.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
monkeywrench133
Scott, have you emailed Ryan to inform him of this thread and give him a chance to respond?

I will say though, that considering what you've posted so far, you don't owe him anything, especially not a "restocking fee" for animals he never shipped. That's ludacris.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
Kingetula
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench133
Scott, have you emailed Ryan to inform him of this thread and give him a chance to respond?

I will say though, that considering what you've posted so far, you don't owe him anything, especially not a "restocking fee" for animals he never shipped. That's ludacris.
Nope, but I will.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
royalkreationz
Just my opinion

I worked for Ryan for 7 years. Ryan is a stand up guy and has always done a great business here in town. Understand this. Ryan runs a retail pet shop that is very busy, not to mention the care of his own animals. Ryan is not the type of person you call and talk snakes with for an hour on the phone. He expects people that are buying his animals to be experienced because they are buying hots. Ryan doesn't like to BS a lot. He wants to get on the phone and get off, even with me after knowing him 12 years.

I can tell you where Ryan is coming from on this issue. If you have a snake up on the classifieds, and someone buys it, then you remove that animal from the ads. Anyone else who calls on it is told they are sold. If he received four calls about the animals before you backed out on the purchase, then $400 is the restock fee for missed sales I guess. He does have a restock fee posted in his store. I have never read it as I have never returned anything to him. Be careful with that CC#, and don't give it out unless you are serious about a purchase.

I am not going to say I would do the same thing, because I wouldn't. I can say that I see where Ryan is coming from. If you say you want perfection, his snakes are wonderful. I saw the ones in person you are talking about the other day. I didn't think there was anything wrong with them, but I understand if you don't like an animal. I can say they were both very healthy.

I will notify Ryan of this post for you.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
kmurphy
Quote:
Ryan is not the type of person you call and talk snakes with for an hour on the phone.
If this is true the Ryan should stick to selling out of his pet shop and drop on-line sales. Evidently he doesn't have the time.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
Justin Mitcham
Quote:
$400 is the restock fee for missed sales I guess.
It plainly states in his emails that he wanted to see pics of the females before he made the purchase so he has no place or reason to charge a fee..and Scott has every right to back out if the animals are not up to par with what he wanted. Charging a hidden fee and calling it a "restocking fee" even know he never shipped anything is rediculous and pretty much theft if he did it!! Just because he feels that he is owed something for his time doesn't mean he has the right to take it from someone without there consent, agreement something?
I really don't "see" how you can ''see" where he is comming from?
Ryan is upset because he had to take a few pics, writes some emails and take a few calls for basically nothing..but Ryan should know by now how things work and that sometimes people back out..cost of doing buisiness.
In the future maybe he should take the names and numbers of those interested just in case this same scenerio happens.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
royalkreationz
Maybe you are right.

Maybe you are wrong. You need to discuss his selling of animals with him and not me. I don't work for Ryan now, and have no say so in how he does business. I was saying that I understand where he comes from, even if it would not be my method of doing busines.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!