New Mexico state law issues - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanus21 View Post
Could someone give me a quick synopsis of the New Mexico laws regarding the keeping of reptiles? Specifically Green Trees, monitors, venemous and hognose snakes. Thanks!
A permit is needed to bring ANY animal into the state. A permit is required to keep venomous. Not sure about hogs.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
varanus21
Thanks Tim!

Is the permit to bring in animals a general permit that covers the person or is it a per animal type of thing?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanus21 View Post
Thanks Tim!

Is the permit to bring in animals a general permit that covers the person or is it a per animal type of thing?
I'm not clear on that.

Your best bet is to contact Game & Fish and ask them.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
dustinNMpythons
I've never seen anything on needing a permit to get animals into the state, where does it say this? It used to just say that primates, crocodilians, and a few others weren't allowed but if they changed it that's ok because I had mine here before it said anything about needing a permit. I've heard you need a permit for venomous but I wouldn't think you would need one for green tree pythons.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinNMpythons View Post
I've never seen anything on needing a permit to get animals into the state, where does it say this? It used to just say that primates, crocodilians, and a few others weren't allowed but if they changed it that's ok because I had mine here before it said anything about needing a permit. I've heard you need a permit for venomous but I wouldn't think you would need one for green tree pythons.
When James Bear in Deming died from a snake bite, NM Game & Fish filed charges against his wife stating a permit was needed. All of the animals and computers were seized with charges filed against a grieving widow with 3 children. I know this because I was there and I ended taking care of these animals along with Anthony Fish. They wanted to make an example of Jame's wife to let everyone know about this law that no else had ever heard about including pet stores. The state eventually dropped the charges (6 months later)when the Deming District Attorney would not prosecute the case.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #16
dustinNMpythons
WOW thats crazy. I guess it's one of those things they don't put out there, they just use it to their advantage against those who are disadvantaged. Pretty sorry legal system if you ask me!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
SDiBiasi
This is very interesting. I should call game and fish!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
dustinNMpythons
I wouldn't worry about it that much, if pet stores are importing tons of stuff out of the state without permits I don't think they can prosecute you for doing the same thing. I have never seen any paperwork on this regulation and I've read all of the ones available on game and fish regarding import/export. It could have changed since then too.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
dustinNMpythons
but if you call let us know what they tell you

Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
Outcast
I was informed by a friend in Game and Fish that even if you buy an animal from a pet store in NM, to "keep your receipt as documentation of the purchase. If you get the animal from someone else, ask to see if they have a receipt from when they got it, and if they don't get them to write one for you. Just in case you get inspected."

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!