Classified add account with KS - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-07-2003, 04:49 PM   #1
SPJ
Question Classified add account with KS

How long does it usually take before I can actually use what I paid for?

Old 06-07-2003, 05:48 PM   #2
SPJ
It Figures

I finally got access after I posted this question.

Old 06-07-2003, 06:22 PM   #3
WebSlave
I guess this is a good place to introduce these questions:

Are you not getting any hits on your ads placed here? Have you tried the auction board? Are neither one proving to be effective for you?

I'm curious to know.

If neither of those avenues are doing the job for you folks, then let me know.

But let me ask you: Are you making any effort to let people know about this site? Or do you just post your ads and then forget about them?

I would like to have a serious discussion here about this.

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2003, 06:57 PM   #4
dwedeking
I don't think you should limit your advertisements to any single arena, both online or offline. Advertising is all about numbers, the more eyes the better. If your only advertising in one spot you only hit one demographic.

I do have to say I was impressed with the activity (not only eyes but actually bidding) I got on my "sample" auction at faunaauction.com

Old 06-07-2003, 07:01 PM   #5
NEWReptiles
Good point R.Z.

I have told and continue telling everybody I know that deals with animals about this site.

The only reason I knew it was here is because a good friend of mine told me about it. It seems word of mouth is the best way to get the word out.

Old 06-07-2003, 08:02 PM   #6
Clay Davenport
Rich,
I emailed you a day or two ago about an idea for a small Fauna Auction graphic. Since the topic has been raised here, I thought I'd go ahead and post it so others might offer their opinion.
I'll just copy the email here to make it easier

Quote:
I was just updating my website today and I included a text link on my main page that goes directly to my list of auctions, using the "sellers other auctions" link from one of my listings. While doing this it occurred to me that it would be nice to have a small graphic that could be used for this purpose. One that had a fauna logo, and "click here to see my auctions" or something, maybe even a picture of an animal to spice it up.
I thought about throwing something together, but then thought it might be a good idea to have a nice looking standard graphic that could be used for this purpose by anyone to put on their websites. A standard graphic would result in common recognition by people who regularly surf websites, and they would know immediately what that graphic was for.
I think this would add a more universal aspect to the auction site, and would go a long way in promoting it. The website owner would be getting benefit from the graphic in creating exposure for his auctions, while every one of them would lead back to your site. It would basically be free advertising for Fauna Aucition that everyone would want to use.
Even using a couple of graphics of different sizes would still serve the purpose of common recognition
Those of us who have websites could put this graphic on our main page, and our available page and folks could link directly to our auctions on Fauna.
The same could be done with a small graphic to link back to Fauna Classifieds. After all, everyone likes another cool graphic for their site.

I have only had one auction end but that snake did sell. From what I have seen so far, the auctions seem to be doing pretty good. The classifieds however have only generated one sale for me since they were started. I'm not sure why this is, I usually post the exact same ad here as I do on the the other site, at least until my account runs out at the end of this month. Every response to the ads though come from there.
I do think the traffic here will improve with time, which is why I continue to use the classifieds here and promote it where I can. I'm just not sure how to bring that about exactly.

For those of you that may not understand how to link directly to your auctions, I'll explain it.
Pull up one of your auctions and click on "sellers other auctions" ou tfrom your name. Copy and paste the URL in that window and use it to link to from your site. When it is clicked they are taken directly to your list of auctions, and from there they can also access the rest of the site.

Old 06-07-2003, 08:55 PM   #7
SPJ
Actually, this is my first choice in posting adds. However, due to only getting 3 responses from the adds here over the past 2 months, I opened a KS account for one month to get more exposure to what I was selling. I also have the same things listed on Bob Clarks forum and ReptileHaven that are listed here.
I was just trying to increase my odds for selling some things since I would like to move them as soon as possible.
I didn't mean to offend anyone. And I apologize for doing that.

Old 06-07-2003, 09:34 PM   #8
WebSlave
Clay,

I forwarded your idea on to my designer when I read your email. I thought it was an excellent idea.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2003, 09:51 PM   #9
sschind
I can't really comment based on personal experiences with the classifieds here because I am sure the lack of response I got is due in no small part to the fact that I don't want to ship, and I state that in the few ads I do place. Still, until Rich starts charging for classifieds, or opens his wallet even further, I think he is doing all he can to promote this site. I am sure if this site were generating income for him he would be advertising in Reptiles and the like as well. It is up to us to get the word out. I like the idea of the link (I don't have a web site though) but I wonder if people would look at it as linking to potential competitors and be a bit leery of actually doing it.

I have said it before and I will say it again. I seriously doubt that this site will ever overtake KS as the top reptile related site on the net. KS had a big head start not to mention the money to back it. I am sure that this does not bother Rich (and it shouldn't) nor should it bother the rest of it. If we do all we can to make it a strong #2 in terms of volume, we all know where it stands as far as quality. One of the main reasons I think this site doesn't get as much attention from some of the more commercial sites is the very reason it was started to begin with. Rich was not afraid to stick his neck out. Being controversial may get you some attention but it won't get you a whole lot of support in the long run. I really think that is why some of the "big names" in the reptile industry do not make themselves known here. I am sure that they all know of this site, and I am sure that many of them follow it. They are just afraid that if they stick their name on something controversial might make them look like they are taking sides. they prefer to remain neutral (heck its worked for Switzerland) Don't get me wrong, there are planty of "big names" that do make it a practice to contribute here, but I'd bet most of us could name at least 5 probably 10 or more breeders that most of us would know about, who don't contribute.

After all that, I think I can safely say that, barring some unforseen hapenstance, this site is here to stay. We should all be grateful for that and I am sure we all are. We do need to do our part and help promote it as well. It doesn't have to be with money, just pass the word along and it will get bigger.

Steve Schindler

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!