Help! Babies not eating- - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-18-2003, 03:36 PM   #1
meretseger
Help! Babies not eating-

Well, this is concerning three rather high end Kenyans that were nearly frozen to death getting mailed to me. They all are acting quite healthy now but I've had them for 2 weeks now and they don't seem in the least interested in food. I'm trying live pinks. I really really don't want to lose these babies. Two weigh 8 grams and are 3 months old, one weighs 6 grams and is 2 months old. Should I go by the standard and wait until they lose 20% of their body weight before I try force feeding? Or should I try sooner because they're so small? I've never force fed before but I have given oral medication. Thanks for any advice!

Erin B.

Old 03-01-2003, 06:27 AM   #2
meretseger
It's OK!

One of them has eaten so far. It's been nearly a month for the others. I'm strongly considering assist feeding them. Baby Kenyans don't really have an 'off' season, although I do have an adult male who just broke a 4 month fast! But the smallest baby only weighs 6 grams and... well... they cost me a lot of money! Not that I value the lives of 'normals' any less, but, well, you understand.

Erin B.

Old 03-01-2003, 09:11 AM   #3
KelliH
Erin-

Have you tried putting the snakes in deli cups and leaving a live pink in with them overnight? That has worked for us in the past. Also, before you assist feed you may want to try slap feeding them, basically lightly slapping the pink at the snakes face until it gets ticked off enough to strike. Sometimes doing that once or twice is all it takes to get the stubborn ones feeding. Well, best of luck and let us know how things turn out.

Old 03-02-2003, 08:34 AM   #4
meretseger
I tried the live pink overnight thing and that was what led to the one eating. I can't get them to strike at anything yet, and I'm used to tease feeding KSB's. I'm going to try again today or tomorrow. Does split braining work well for Kenyans? I have a bunch of frozen pinks I could do that with. Thanks for the help!
Oh, and Kelli- we're the ones who bought that het hypo pair off of you a while back- they're doing great!

Erin and Jason B.

Old 03-02-2003, 02:11 PM   #5
Sonya
Great to hear!

And I hope you get the others to eat soon. I would try braining a thawed pink. It might just make them notice. And do let us know what happens.
Sonya

Old 09-17-2003, 12:44 PM   #6
2003redneck
I know it is not healthy but my burmese had the same problem and what I did was every day sprayed it down with mineral spray and I had to force feed it like three times every time puting a pinky in the cage and waightin firs but after i force fed her she has been doing great about eating and now eats med. rats.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:39 PM   #7
Sand&SunReptile
I would be willing to try anything if I were in your shoes.
Did you contact the seller, telling them what had happened?
That is a shame they arent eating, but they should start. If you continue to keep them warm, and kept with proper husbandry, then they should come around.
If it comes to that, I would try to assist feed them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!