Partial Translucent Dragon? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #11
sunnybeardie
Here is another baby I noticed tonight. Not as translucent as the first, but his lips are what made me notice the most. They are pink and translucent and his hands are pretty translucent as well as some of his belly. The pictures are hard to get, but in person there is no doubt he is partial. I have noticed that they give off a different yellow then the rest of the babies as well. There yellow has more of a glow to it, like a clear plastic yellow would be.

What do you think Josh? Also what are the chances that the others maybe hets since obviously the parents have traces of the gene?

There was also a smoothie in this clutch as well.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2006, 04:08 PM   #12
pdragon
Hi, it's hard to say if it's genetic or not. You may want to try breeding these to trans or 100% het trans to find out. Some of the trans that I produce look pretty normal as babies, and as they grow, they start losing white. Their eyes change over eventually too. Others hatch 100% trans with the blue eyes. They may also look normal as they mature, who knows. When you breed two trans hets together, you get around 25% trans babies, and the rest are possible hets. It's interesting because I get some smoothies here and there from trans het breedings. Thanks, Josh

Old 10-19-2006, 11:27 PM   #13
gfisher2002
Crazy looking dragon. I love the partial trans. Looks really interesting.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #14
Robust_Beardies
From what we have heard, the smoothies will not breed. Even in they are of age and healthy, they will not produce any eggs - infertile or otherwise. Has anyone been able to breed the smoothies successfully?

Old 10-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #15
pdragon
There is some people breeding smoothies. AC reptiles had some for sale a while back. Some can be a bit problematic, but they should breed and produce good eggs. Josh

Old 10-21-2006, 09:54 PM   #16
Robust_Beardies
Do you think that the reason why some dragons are being born with reduced scales is because evolution is taking over and they technically don't need to be protected as much because we do that for them, or is it because of all the inbreeding?

Old 10-22-2006, 12:59 AM   #17
Mokele
Quote:
Do you think that the reason why some dragons are being born with reduced scales is because evolution is taking over and they technically don't need to be protected as much because we do that for them
Traits don't appear because they're needed or relevant. Rather, traits appear randomly (due to mutation), and natural selection either favors or eliminates the trait based on whether it offers benefits or drawbacks in the current environment. In a sufficiently large population over a long enough time, various helpful mutations tend to occur simply by chance (much like if you play enough poker, one day you'll draw a straight flush) though of couse a lot of other useless or neutral mutations will occur in the meantime.

Quote:
or is it because of all the inbreeding?
That seems like a plausible explanation. All animals are het at about 5% of the genes in their genome, and most of these mutations never see the light of day, because the mutant allele is sufficiently rare in the population that the chances of a het-het mating even occuring to produce homozygote are miniscule. However, when inbreeding occurs, the chances of inheriting two copies of a mutant allele carried by an ancestor increases dramatically compared to the chances in wild, non-inbred mating (1 in 8 vs 1 in 10000). That's why inbred animals manifest so many genetic problems; the genes are present in the population, but at such low levels that they rarely occur without the concentrating effect on inbreeding.

There is also another possibility, namely founder effect. A certain beardie had this mutant allele, and that animal became breeding stock rather than a never-bred pet. And then its descendants were also bred a lot, etc. As a result, the mutant allele wound up in many, many animals simply because the original carrier was so prolific compared to its siblings and the rest of the population. Any small population or population with very skewed mating sucess (where most animals never mate while a small number of individuals reproduce a lot) is prone to fluctuations in gene frequency caused by founder effect. It's also possible founder effect and inbreeding interacted to result in abnormally high frequency of this allele.

Henry

Old 10-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #18
sunnybeardie
There was one other smoothie from this clutch who hatched out late. There was also another smoothie that hatched out this past week from the second clutch. All of them are smaller than the others.

One thing I have noticed about each of the partial trans, is that they all hatched out later then the others. I don't know if there is a reason for this, or if it was just coincidental. I do not know if I have any partials from this last clutch yet. So for the majority of them have very translucent bellies and there are a few that look like they could be. I will have to wait and see as most of their bellies will lose their translucence by the end of this week.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:42 PM   #19
CrazyReptileWorld
Wow those dragons are awesome...Way cool!!

Old 09-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #20
dragoncave
Hi
i wanan show of mine partial translucant .
i think she smoothy to .
also she hatch as last from the clutch .
when it came out egg i whas thinking r her face is not good.
and later i saw he chin
i call her hotlips .
here she is .

this is her back is she smoothy??

let me know what you think
this is breeded out a hypo x hypo breeding .

byeeeeee

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!