Some ID help please. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 06-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Some ID help please.

Not really field collecting, but I was asked to remove this guy today. I swear it's a whipsnake, II've cauht a few hundred of those out here) but I never seen this ssp before, and I need a newer ID type book, because this guy aint in it. LOL

Anyway, Here are some pics. Any help would be great.............

The tails under side best i could get.......

Sorry for all the pics, but wanted to make sure I included enough to help.
Scales are smooth, anal plate appears divided.
For now I am keeping it till i can get a positive ID, so he'll get a couple free meals than off he goes.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 06-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
Rivets55
Possibly Desert Striped

The Audubon guide (pg. 631) notes that the Striped Whipsnakes (M. taeniatus ssp.) can be reddish brown (check), with 2 light lines on each side (check) and large head scales edged in white (check). Desert Striped (M. t. taeniatus) is dark brown and has white side stripe divided by a black line (check).

(BTW: check = photo shows characterisitc)

Hope this helps.

John D

Old 06-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
reptilebreeder
Striped Whipsnake. What do the whipsnakes you usually catch look like?

Old 06-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
Pretty much they look just like that, but without the banding (lack of better word). Solid olive color or dark dusky brown color with the prominant stripes like shown in this one. Sorta like the example given in the Audubon field guide.

I do not find any ssp that mentions the red, grey/whitish and black banding in the pattern which stops 2 scale rows short of the ventrals. I have never seen one with this banding out of all I have caught either. It made Me very curious because it sure don't look (color wise) like the ones around here.

Rick

Old 06-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
Rivets55
Wink Ohhh - now I see -

Hmmm...
I see what you mean now about the reddish-brown color almost being wide bands. The Audubon guide does talk about the stripes sometimes being intermittent - maybe that is whats going on here...Could it also be a color mutation?

In any case that is a handsome serpent - could make a cool breeding project. If you decide you don't want him, I'd be happy to give it a go!

JPD

Old 06-13-2006, 04:05 AM   #6
joshdhensley
Very nice snake!!

Old 06-13-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivets55
In any case that is a handsome serpent - could make a cool breeding project. If you decide you don't want him, I'd be happy to give it a go!
JPD
LOL Looks like I'll have to keep HER a little longer than anticipated............

Woke up to this surprise this morning. I guess i got some researching to do real quick like. Go figure, LOL

Rick

Old 06-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
Rivets55
Wink You Lucky Dog!

That is so cool!

Looks like Santa came early for you

LOL - not only did he turn out to be a she, but a mama to boot!
How many eggs did you get?

Babies would be fantastic! Keep us posted!

Best of luck!

John D

Old 06-14-2006, 01:42 AM   #9
joshdhensley
That is one nice snake. Great find!

Old 06-14-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
Well, 5 eggs in all. They all look healthy, and I am removing them from moms care since I found out colubrids do not care for their eggs. They lay them and abandon them. So Mom goes free soon.

As for the eggs............Lets hope in a couple months I have some strange looking worms in the viv. LOL

Thanks everyone,
Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!