Florida state law issues - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 07-21-2004, 03:54 PM   #121
lostkauze
Wow, I didnt even know Ft. Lauderdale had such a ban. I guess that can explain what shut down that big cat breeding facility in SW Ranches before it became a city... glad I never got into monkeys. (or is it monkies... no its monkeys...?)

Michael

Old 07-23-2004, 01:29 PM   #122
Vince
big cats should not be kept as pets, espacaly in residential areas

Old 07-23-2004, 02:29 PM   #123
VenomJ
Thumbs down

Vince, where the Tiger escaped is out in the country side. That area is very isolated and even his neighbors are far aparty. The tiger posed no threat to anyone but the FWC officer did what he felt was needed. A dart wouldn't immediately stop it from attacking anyways. Plus I know many people keeping big cats and they do great and are kept great. Just because some people dont keep Leopard Geckos and Ball pythons doesnt mean they should have their right taken away if the choose to keep exotic mammals.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:48 PM   #124
Vince
Stop!

so the local police just thought the right thing to do was take out the tiger, did they try using tranks? or let the owner/handler try to get the animal in control?

Who really knows what condition the tiger was in when it made its break for freedom. Or the quality of the care given to it threw out its life with humans. I do not agree with the way the situation was handled, but the tiger should have never been in the position to escape and cause potential harm in the first place. tigers belong in the wild, and most zoos do a great job of keeping and breeding these beautiful animals in captivity, but where they do not belong is in mine or my neighbors back yard.

Old 07-23-2004, 03:43 PM   #125
areptileguy
I agree that big cats shouldn't be in backyards, but the reason why I posted the article is because reptiles may (they often are) be included in the propspective blanket ban.

Old 07-23-2004, 06:05 PM   #126
VenomJ
Maybe some reptiles that are not permitted might be banned, which I seriously doubt. The state of FL makes to much revenue off our permits. The reason why the city of Ft. Lauderdale has a ban on exotic cats is that it is all built up. You need a minimum of 5 acres I believe to house those cats.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:05 PM   #127
Vince
Heres a new news story about this situation.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...26235009990002

Search for
Top News:

Updated: 07:18 AM EDT
Wildlife Officer Defends Shooting of Tiger
'I Am Not an 'Animal Murderer''

AP
Steve Sipek, whose tiger Bobo was shot dead, puts a bloody handprint on a poster of a tiger at his home.

LOXAHATCHEE, Fla. (July 27) - The Florida wildlife officer who shot a 600-pound escaped tiger to death pleaded on Monday for people to stop calling him an "animal murderer."

Jesse Curtis Lee, 24, was identified for the first time as the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officer who shot the big cat twice in the head on July 13 following a 26-hour search.

The commission released its own review of the incident, concluding that Lee used sound judgment and complied with the agency's guidelines when he shot the Bengal-Siberian tiger, called Bobo.

But the report also concluded that the officer's lack of training in dealing with big cats, his proximity to the animal and a tranquilizer team's delay in getting to the scene factored into the cat's death.

The report said officers had four separate encounters with the cat, trying each time to return it safely to its owner, Steve Sipek, an actor who played Tarzan in B-movies decades ago.

On the fourth attempt, Lee and another officer waited for a tranquilizer team to come to the scene, but when the tiger lunged toward the officers, Lee fired five rounds, according to the report. The cat was dead by the time the team arrived.

In a news release, Lee said he was speaking out "to let everyone know that I am not an 'animal murderer' as depicted by members of the community."

Talk About It

· Chat | Post Messages
· Top News Boards

"I have always been and will continue to be a person that admires, respects and protects all wildlife. My dad raised me that way," Lee wrote.

Following the shooting, the agency received so many angry e-mails and phone calls - including at least five death threats - that some employees were urged not to wear their uniforms for a week.

Bobo was one of several big cats owned by Sipek, who has said there was no reason to shoot the tiger - and whose mind wasn't changed by the commission's review.

"The lying continues. It just never stops," Sipek told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "Jesse Lee was trigger happy, had no common sense and had no reason to go near that tiger. He just freaked out and started shooting."

State investigators are looking into whether Bobo's escape was the result of any negligence on Sipek's part.

07/26/04 23:48 EDT

Old 08-01-2004, 01:43 PM   #128
SpecialSugar
Help!!!!!!

How much is a liscense to rescue hedgehogs?????? please someone tell me...... i need to know!!!! well reply to my post or simply email me at bcjcfox@alltel.net or puppyprincess20050@yahoo.com thanx for ur help!!!
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2004, 10:16 AM   #129
Karen Hulvey
I don't think you need a license to rescue hedgehogs. You need a USDA permit to BREED these animals but to just have them, no license.

Now if you live within city limits there may be a limit to the number of animals you can keep at your residence. Or there could be many other ordinances concerning animals.

Hope this helps.

Karen

Old 08-05-2004, 09:37 PM   #130
miamireps
here in fl. there is a minimum 5 acre rule, mandatory, a 8 foot fence surrounding all property, two letters of recomendation from two already licensed individuals, and 1,000 hours of over a year work with big cats to get them. Once you get this, you can only get it per species, like a tiger, or a lion, you dont get it for both just because you worked and got everything done for a tiger, doesnt mean you can get it for a lion. You have to do the whole inspection, and requirements again to get a permit that allows lions, etc, etc
Mike
All states should have a system like Floridas.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!