Government is going for the throat - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 03-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Southern Wolf
Government is going for the throat

http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/06/in-...1_lnk2%7C48797

They think they should have total control of the internet and should be able to shut it down completely should they desire to.

add that to the article I read yesterday about Google using a kill switch on android phones to delete apps off your phone without your knowledge... and we are looking the gov and big companies trying to staunch the flow of information.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
KelliH
-----------------------------------------------------------
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
KelliH
Ah man you edited the title! ;-p

Old 03-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
Ah man you edited the title! ;-p
Man I was staring at that pic for a good 2 minutes trying to figure out how it related and/or what it meant. I was looking at it from different angles and upside down looking for some secret meaning......

Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
Lucille
The original title was something like 'The gov't is going for the juggler'

Old 03-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #6
WebSlave
Hmm, while reading the article, I got this image from the film "Blazing Saddles" where the new black sheriff was holding a gun to his own head threatening to shoot if everyone didn't back away......

So tell me, if a cyber attack is trying to shut down the internet infrastructure in this country, is the answer REALLY to do that job for them by shutting it DOWN ourselves as a "defensive" measure?

Heck, if the government wants to shut down internet access to all FEDERAL GOVERNMENT websites, by all means, have at it. Probably most people wouldn't even notice that they were gone.....

But leave the rest of the internet alone, please. If there is an attack from outside of the country, then neutralize the threat OUTSIDE of the country, instead of accomplishing their goal for them internally.

The answer is to make the internet resistant to shutdowns and other cyber attacks, not assist the attackers by emulating what they are trying to do.

Really, where do they find the people who come up with these kinds of ideas?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
Southern Wolf
It's typical government thinking. Take something simple and complicate it!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
WebSlave
But you know, their could be a more ulterior motive for the BS being published. Perhaps Washington, D.C. is scared silly that the anti government sentiment in the mideast will spread worldwide, even to the USA. So they want to take steps to shut down the conduit of information and coordination that could come from the internet. You just know they are itching for an excuse to lock down the internet to be under their complete control. I'm expecting some sort of permitting system to be implemented sooner or later. With such a system, a permit can be revoked or denied, thereby effectively putting everyone in the permit system under their control. Simply make the requirement for all ISPs and data centers and make them completely responsible for the content that goes through their servers. Make any content, both incoming and outgoing, that violates the big gray area of "national security" illegal and justification for pulling the permit and that would effectively do it.

With stiff fines and being put out of business because of "anti-government" talk going through their facilities, those businesses would be the ones doing the policing as well as taking most of the heat from irate customers.

Or as an alternative, some national "emergency" will take place and the government will merely nationalize the entire internet infrastructure. For the sake of "national security", of course.....

Old 03-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
garweft
Don't we tend to villainize other countries that limit internet access and have control of all media outlets?

Something about them not allowing their citizens access to the 'truth', and instead spreading propeganda thru the government controlled media..... Guess it was just that they need some national security.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
Don't we tend to villainize other countries that limit internet access and have control of all media outlets?

Something about them not allowing their citizens access to the 'truth', and instead spreading propeganda thru the government controlled media..... Guess it was just that they need some national security.
I guess you do have to wonder what sort of actions Obama would take and orders he would issue if he were in Muammar Gaddafi's shoes.....

I'm thinking he is setting plans in motion now to try to keep that from happening.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!