Concerned Breeder/Reptile Lover - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:03 AM   #1
hwallis13
Concerned Breeder/Reptile Lover

In the case of dogs or cats we have PETA or the ASPCA, but who de we have for the defense of reptiles? I've heard of USARK but from everything in gathering, they are more for the protection of the breeder in terms of rights, state laws, and keeping us informed on policies like the Lacey Act.

Basically, is there any non-profit organization that specifically deals with the treatment and well being of reptiles? I haven't found any and would love to look into the legal steps it takes to start one.

Thank You,
Hunter Wallis
WWR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-15-2016, 03:29 AM   #2
lilgreenbee
I think the best bet is to look up your local reptile society. I don't know how much they can legally do in cases of abuse, but they may have resources for rescuing animals (cages, food, people to foster them, etc) and they may be able to work with local law enforcement, as well as being connected to the local community. The other advocates I can think of would be reptile rescues.

IMHO, I don't think that PETA is really the best advocate for any type of animal, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
snowgyre
There is a distinct and important difference between animal rights (PETA, HSUS) and animal welfare. PETA and HSUS ascribe individual, human-equivalent rights to animals, and consider animal ownership abhorrent. Animal welfare is concerned with the proper treatment of animals by humans while understanding that humans use animals for a variety of purposes (e.g. companionship, labor, food, clothing, etc.).

PETA, HSUS, and the ASPCA are all strongly against reptile and amphibian ownership. PETA and HSUS are strongly against any animal ownership. Animal welfare tends to be enforced by the US Department of Agriculture, local law and code enforcement, and local animal control.

As far as a group dedicated to the welfare of captive reptiles and amphibians, only local herpetoculture groups currently fill that role. USARK is a lobbying machine concerned with state and federal legislation prohibiting or controlling the market of pet reptiles and amphibians... they are not directly concerned with the welfare of those animals.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #4
Herps Alive!
Gonna disagree slightly here on the role of USARK. I agree they are not involved in day-to-day animal welfare issues. But here is their mission statement, bolded mt own: The United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) is a science, education and conservation-based advocacy for the responsible private ownership of, and trade in reptiles and amphibians. We endorse caging standards, sound husbandry, escape prevention protocols, and an integrated approach to vital conservation issues. Our goal is to facilitate cooperation between government agencies, the scientific community, and the private sector in order to produce policy proposals that will effectively address important husbandry and conservation issues. The health of these animals, public safety and maintaining ecological integrity are our primary concerns.

Sounds like animal welfare is certainly a part of their agenda, and I can vouch for the fact that in areas where laws have passed, USARK has been active in working toward reasonable caging and care standards.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:35 AM   #5
lilgreenbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
There is a distinct and important difference between animal rights (PETA, HSUS) and animal welfare. PETA and HSUS ascribe individual, human-equivalent rights to animals, and consider animal ownership abhorrent. Animal welfare is concerned with the proper treatment of animals by humans while understanding that humans use animals for a variety of purposes (e.g. companionship, labor, food, clothing, etc.).

PETA, HSUS, and the ASPCA are all strongly against reptile and amphibian ownership. PETA and HSUS are strongly against any animal ownership. Animal welfare tends to be enforced by the US Department of Agriculture, local law and code enforcement, and local animal control.

As far as a group dedicated to the welfare of captive reptiles and amphibians, only local herpetoculture groups currently fill that role. USARK is a lobbying machine concerned with state and federal legislation prohibiting or controlling the market of pet reptiles and amphibians... they are not directly concerned with the welfare of those animals.
I think out of the three, ASPCA angers me the most, because it seems to pass off as the most legit. I knew about PETA and HSUS, but I was rather naive about ASPCA and had thought they were a good organization. I donate to local shelters exclusively now.

Quote:
Gonna disagree slightly here on the role of USARK. I agree they are not involved in day-to-day animal welfare issues. But here is their mission statement, bolded mt own: The United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) is a science, education and conservation-based advocacy for the responsible private ownership of, and trade in reptiles and amphibians. We endorse caging standards, sound husbandry, escape prevention protocols, and an integrated approach to vital conservation issues. Our goal is to facilitate cooperation between government agencies, the scientific community, and the private sector in order to produce policy proposals that will effectively address important husbandry and conservation issues. The health of these animals, public safety and maintaining ecological integrity are our primary concerns.

Sounds like animal welfare is certainly a part of their agenda, and I can vouch for the fact that in areas where laws have passed, USARK has been active in working toward reasonable caging and care standards.
I'm glad USARK is working towards herp welfare.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:11 AM   #6
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwallis13 View Post
Basically, is there any non-profit organization that specifically deals with the treatment and well being of reptiles? I haven't found any and would love to look into the legal steps it takes to start one.
Since you are in California go here: http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/

Select the Corporation Name radio button and search on the word "reptile".

If you do a Google search on the Active entities that also have "rescue" in their names, a few popped up as 501c3 organizations with a decent history. Hopefully there is one near you, as they can always use volunteers.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #7
Herps Alive!
[quote=lilgreenbee;1903665]I think out of the three, ASPCA angers me the most, because it seems to pass off as the most legit. I knew about PETA and HSUS, but I was rather naive about ASPCA and had thought they were a good organization. I donate to local shelters exclusively now.

[/QUOTE

I am the Executive Director of a large 501(c)3 reptile rescue in Ohio. Are you aware that the ASPCA allows us to apply for the same grants that kitty and puppy rescues can? Or that they provide operational support and resources for volunteer training, even to us?
HSUS is a far bigger threat - ASPCA actually conducts at least some activities that svae animals' lives (and I am not exactly a fan).

Old 04-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
snowgyre
ASPCA has alienated me on several accounts. For one, the local shelter actually *stole my dog* and illegally trespassed on my property, and when we got her back, she had worms and stress issues all over again. ASPCA also condones the highly unethical and inhumane trap-neuter-reabandon of feral and outdoor cats, which violates wildlife laws, ignores the welfare of the cats themselves, ignores human health concerns, and spits on the rights of private property owners. The ASPCA is quickly becoming yet another group complicit in the Disneyfied view of animals and the 100% unrealistic and logistically impossible No-Kill movement. But that is another story...

Old 04-18-2016, 03:10 AM   #9
lilgreenbee
[quote=Herps Alive!;1903700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreenbee View Post
I think out of the three, ASPCA angers me the most, because it seems to pass off as the most legit. I knew about PETA and HSUS, but I was rather naive about ASPCA and had thought they were a good organization. I donate to local shelters exclusively now.

[/QUOTE

I am the Executive Director of a large 501(c)3 reptile rescue in Ohio. Are you aware that the ASPCA allows us to apply for the same grants that kitty and puppy rescues can? Or that they provide operational support and resources for volunteer training, even to us?
HSUS is a far bigger threat - ASPCA actually conducts at least some activities that svae animals' lives (and I am not exactly a fan).
I didn't know. I'm glad that they do provide you with resources and training. Thanks for bringing that into light, it's something I did not take into consideration.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #10
Herps Alive!
[quote=lilgreenbee;1904128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herps Alive! View Post

I didn't know. I'm glad that they do provide you with resources and training. Thanks for bringing that into light, it's something I did not take into consideration.
To reiterate, I am still not a fan, but it appears that at least some of their anti-exotic bias may be softenng.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!