Jungle Carpet Pythons - Neurological problems? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #1
Jonathan P
Unhappy Jungle Carpet Pythons - Neurological problems?

So at a recent reptile show I picked up a Jaguar Carpet python baby from a reputable dealer that gets great marks in the BOI. A little lethargic but typical of very young and slender snakes. I asked several questions about care, feeding, and adult coloration. Thought I was clear enough that I wasn't experienced with them.

Find out that once it settled in at home it had some quirky, spastic movements and was spending time upside down. Concerned I contacted the breeder and was told. Oh yeah they have some neurological issues that all of the jags have, kind of the same issues like the spider pythons and it doesn't effect them.

After doing more reading I find that the statement that it other then funky spastic movements don't effect it to be generally a generous representation of the situation.

So I asked if I could possibly trade it for another snake of the same price as it scare my kids. Now can't get any response.

I realize that my homework on this particular breed and pattern was lacking and I do assume some responsability for this. However I'm of the mind that the dealer should also have given me some insight as they were aware that I was not familiar with the snake I was purchasing.

I'm frustrated and disappointed in the situation and would love to hear others
thoughts on my dilema.

Jonathn

Old 10-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
tim brophy
Sorry this happened to you. Frankly, I do not understand why carpet breeders continue to produce and sell neurologically damaged animals, but they do. Any and all jaguar carpets have the potential to have neuro problems. They are beautiful snakes, but they are damaged goods. They do not get better with age. I would hope your breeder re-considers and trades you for a non-jag carpet. But you may just have to chalk this up to your lack of research.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
I'm sorry to hear you weren't aware of their known issues. It would be really nice if the breeder would do an exchange for a non-jag for you. However I do think it's up to the consumer to research what they are buying and it isn't the responsibility of the seller to inform about these types of issues. You don't see every post selling a spider combo morph ball python explaining the wobble. It still sucks to have not known about it. Perhaps you can try to explain to your children that the snakes are still normal and just have issues, like a disability?
Good luck.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
elena
All jags have neuro problems to some degree. Most of them live a normal lifespan and breed and eat normally, but a few don't. If your animal feeds normally and is a few months old, chances are it will be fine. I agree with April that it is on the buyer to do their homework on the morphs they are buying, but as a seller, I personally would disclose the issue to inexperienced buyers. I will say that when I was a buyer for a pet store, I never purchased jags due to their issues, and wouldn't personally breed them. Hopefully the breeder will agree to an exchange, especially if you offer to pay for shipping. However, if your animal feeds well than it is likely that it will survive.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
Jonathan P
Appreciate the replies. Agreed, it's on me and still hoping it all smooths out. We'll see. Breeder isn't communicating at all. Sadly.

Won't give up trying with the Jag.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
Steve.Anderson
Woah, okay so this is a little dated and I hope the snake you got is doing good by now... I just thought I’d say that I have two 5 month old jaguar carpets and one of them is a little off it seems like... every once in a while she’ll have a little spastic episode thing... but she is perfectly fine if I just don’t touch her, and the male that I have has not given me any problems, never struck, always ate. I think that they’ll eventually be great, the both of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-22-2018, 10:54 PM   #7
Jonathan P
I'm told the jag is doing great. But he is with a breeder that is very experienced with them now. He said what I described was fairly minor and some times if cross bred the next gen won't have it. Don't know. But he was happy to have it and traded me a very young spotted python.

But the more I researched it is very common, but most seem to think it's over all a minor issue.

Hope you continue to have success with yours. They are incredibly beautiful!

Old 11-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
Steve.Anderson
That’s great! My snake only really acts up when she is stressed by a bunch of people crowded around her. If I’m by myself with her, she shows hardly any signs of anything wrong with her. I’m planning on breeding her a few years down the road.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!