Spring is springing...... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:21 AM   #1
WebSlave
Spring is springing......

Got chilly last week, but it is rebounding nicely. The Carolina jasmine is beginning to bloom as well as the Japanese magnolias. It's really nice around here when the wisteria blooms. We planted the purple and white varieties and they look really nice blooming together. Plus they each have their own fragrance which can sometimes be almost overwhelming. Of course, it may be a drawback if it attracts the Africanized bees which have recently been found here in Florida. They probably sure could ruin a quiet walk down the driveway.......

Haven't seen anywhere near the toad population outside the reptile building as we have in the past, however. We usually have a group of spadefoots patiently waiting for a handout. They seem to be pretty much night owls and don't show themselves until after 10pm or so.

Well wonder what will get my bamboo groves this year? Last year it was hurricane Dennis. Knocked a bunch of my Phyllostachys vivax down. Pissed me off because those culms were reaching 4 inches and more in diameter. Those 40 foot shoots don't have much of a stabilizing root structure, so they are pretty easily toppled, it appears. Too much leverage when the high winds catch the leafy part of the shoots.

Last couple years before that the squirrels pretty much wiped out all of the new culms (shoots) that came up. But last year, before the new culms came up, I put a bounty on all squirrels and had my two employees at the time keep them at bay. So between squirrels and hurricanes, it's been a pretty tough chore keeping the bamboo from getting stomped on.

And I guess the tangerine grove will begin flowering pretty soon as well. Going to be getting pretty smelly around here!

Old 02-20-2006, 04:12 AM   #2
shrap
And we had the coldest night of the Winter last night..... 3 degrees.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:38 AM   #3
Lucille
I have a relatively small piece of land, 1/4 acre, but I have Satsuma and a lemon tree, as well as many roses.
I think that of all the pretty scents in a garden, nothing beats the scent of blooming citrus, although some of the antique roses are a close second.

I read something one time about those African bees and found that they are actually quite a threat because of their aggression. How do you cope with something like that, are there any specific steps you can take to protect yourself?

Old 02-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
WebSlave
If you can find them, get the Poncan tangerines. They are my absolute favorite. Matter of fact, Connie and I just picked the last of them last week, so they are done for the season. Very good eating! You will really look forward each year to their ripening.

If you have some colder nights, you can get the Poncans grafted onto a Trifoliata root stock that will help with their cold hardiness.

Seriously, if you an find the Poncans, GET them!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!