So....Who is going to screw up first? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #21
Shadera
What do king snakes have to do with the lacey act?

And yes, most overnight shipments (all of mine, some several dozen plus, no matter where I've lived - including one going to MD from WV that went to Memphis first) are going to go through Indianapolis or Memphis before being routed to destinations. I'm not gonna say ALL, because then someone will step in with the one time at band camp that it didn't go that way.

The point is, you know it can happen, so why take that risk?

Old 08-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #22
Mooing Tricycle
I have had stuff shipped from NY that goes through Memphis... Seriously, you cant even play dumb with this, do you think Fed Ex will guard you if you ship a snake knowingly over state lines, even if its destination is your same state? Dont think so!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #23
burm_daddy
kings have nothing to do with the lacey act YET and yea i agree with u now that i have read this and have heard about most things going out of state i wouldnt risk it its not worth me going to jail i dont even have anything to ship that is on the lacy act but even if i did i would either meet them or have them come to my house and thanks for posting this i honestly didnt know that things went out of state like that but not that i do ill never ship anything on the act its not worth going to jail

Old 08-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #24
Mooing Tricycle
( A Burm, Retic or Anaconda, I mean) regular stuff is still OK...

Old 08-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
burm_daddy
and just so u know Lorrain i wasnt trying to fight with u i just wasnt aware of them takeing most everything out of state like that but thanks for posting that and im glad u did will save me from getting in trouble

Old 08-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #26
Reptile Kings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
( A Burm, Retic or Anaconda, I mean) regular stuff is still OK...
Retics weren't included to the list. It was 'proposed' but the final ruling didn't include them. Green Anacondas weren't included either.

4 species of snakes were included: Yellow Anaconda, Burmese Python, Northern and South African Rock Pythons

http://www.fws.gov/invasives/news.html

Play it safe and simply arrange local pickup/delivery within your state.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #27
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Kings View Post
Retics weren't included to the list. It was 'proposed' but the final ruling didn't include them. Green Anacondas weren't included either.

4 species of snakes were included: Yellow Anaconda, Burmese Python, Northern and South African Rock Pythons

http://www.fws.gov/invasives/news.html

Play it safe and simply arrange local pickup/delivery within your state.
That is certainly interesting to find out. I knew initially they were included, did not know they were removed ( though i Knew boa were taken off) I dont work with them, so i just assumed that HSUS and the government would not budge on them. Why did they not include them??

Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #28
Reptile Kings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
Why did they not include them??
Good question to ask, which is why I put time into reading the very detailed analytical report on it a couple weeks ago.

They did a detailed economic analysis with respect to how many businesses would be affected by each group of snakes proposed to being put on the list. This not only included breeders (direct effect) that would be hit hard if the species they bred were being put on the act, but feeder companies (indirect effect) that would lose out on sales, suppliers being affected (indirect effect) as well as shipping companies (indirect effect) transporting those species and many more such examples.
They also noted induced effects of: changes in spending on food, shelter, clothing, and other consumer goods and services now that those impacted by this have had on their payroll etc.

They then determined that the group of snakes that would have the least amount of damaging impact to the economy would be the 4 species I listed above.

"The total annual decrease in economic output if all of the nine large constrictors were listed as injurious under the
Lacey Act is estimated to range from $42.0 to $86.2 million.
For four species, the decrease in economic output is estimated to be $10.7 to 21.8 million." (Source: fws.gov)

Also these 4 species were all judged to have a “high” overall risk potential in a scientific evaluation undertaken by the U.S. Geological Survey.

USARK deserves all the kudos. They fought hard and were able to remove 5 out of the 9 species of snakes proposed. They are currently working on removing the ones that made the list.
www.usark.org

Old 08-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Kings View Post
Good question to ask, which is why I put time into reading the very detailed analytical report on it a couple weeks ago.

They did a detailed economic analysis with respect to how many businesses would be affected by each group of snakes proposed to being put on the list. This not only included breeders (direct effect) that would be hit hard if the species they bred were being put on the act, but feeder companies (indirect effect) that would lose out on sales, suppliers being affected (indirect effect) as well as shipping companies (indirect effect) transporting those species and many more such examples.
They also noted induced effects of: changes in spending on food, shelter, clothing, and other consumer goods and services now that those impacted by this have had on their payroll etc.

They then determined that the group of snakes that would have the least amount of damaging impact to the economy would be the 4 species I listed above.

"The total annual decrease in economic output if all of the nine large constrictors were listed as injurious under the
Lacey Act is estimated to range from $42.0 to $86.2 million.
For four species, the decrease in economic output is estimated to be $10.7 to 21.8 million." (Source: fws.gov)

Also these 4 species were all judged to have a “high” overall risk potential in a scientific evaluation undertaken by the U.S. Geological Survey.

USARK deserves all the kudos. They fought hard and were able to remove 5 out of the 9 species of snakes proposed. They are currently working on removing the ones that made the list.
www.usark.org

Heck yeah USARK! Thats a great response and thank you for telling me!! I have to go read more about this and the new ways they are going in to get those other animals removed. Ive seen a few articles but have not been keeping up as much as I probably should be.

Again, thanks for the info/correction!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #30
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
Everything goes to/through either Memphis, or Indianapolis no matter where you're shipping it.
Quote:
BSeriously, if your packages aren't going through the 2 cities I mentioned above, you're not shipping FedEx overnight.
I have to disagree with you on that, Shadera. I've shipped FedEx overnight to a number of places that didn't go through either of those cities - MA, NJ, CT, ME, PA, etc. Granted, they were in the northeast, like me, but they didn't take the trip to Memphis like many do. Of course, I've also shipped to neighboring states, as well as other parts of NY, and seen the packages take hops to other states.

Quote:
What do king snakes have to do with the lacey act?
Quote:
Originally Posted by burm_daddy View Post
kings have nothing to do with the lacey act YET
Any living thing we ship is governed by the Lacey Act (as well as some nonliving things), not just the 4 species that were classified as Injurious Wildlife. Lacey involves a lot more than burms, rocks, and yellow anacondas...I know you know that Shadera, but anybody that doesn't should probably figure out what the Lacey Act is before posting a bunch of poorly informed comments.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!