Eating Habits of RETICS! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
JohnnyBoy198888
Eating Habits of RETICS!

Anybody else with a large Retic collection notice that not one of their retics eats the same way as another, not even close? For every group of 3 I take, I can tell a different story by the way each one eats. Take these 3 for example... I have a female purple, a female tiger and a normal male here. All of these 3 are around 9 months old... Each has been with me since birth. The male, he turns down food when offered more than once per week. He likes his meals thawed out and tong fed, once every 7 to 10 days, he won't even look at any more than that. My purple girl, she will devour any rodent put in front of her regardless of the spacing between feedings, size of prey and number offered. She'll take 2 large rats every 5 days if I wanted to power feed her. I do not. However, they must be served on tongs, and must be Warm or she won't accept. And then there's the tiger girl. A big eater when born, she will only eat food every 2 weeks at most for me now. Not warm and not from tongs, just thawed completely and dropped near one of her hides. At first I thought there was a problem but months later I realize she is doing just fine healthy as can be. Each has their own eating habit and personality just as we humans do! Anyone else see anything like this amongst their own retic collections?

Old 01-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Docglock
I have a reverse trio...a male 50% SD that is a very timid eater. A male 50% Jamp platinum that tears up anything and a 50% Jamp female that is the same way. The Jamps would eat every day if I allowed it. The SD boy is pretty good for every 10-14 days, but any more frequent, he'll constrict but not eat it. The prey items are F/T warmed rats off tongs...

Go figure.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
JohnnyBoy198888
Thumbs up Retics rule man!

See, thats the sort of thing I mean. Other snakes if they ate the way some of these retics did, we'd think there was a problem of some nature. I've dealt with all kinds of snakes before finding my niche with tics and I'll tell you, if any of the balls or even burms I used to own were ever this picky and bratty when it came to feeding, I'd have to check for a problem and more times than not, there was one.. in one case there were the dreaded mites in the others there were problems with a heating source or the snakes were in shed cycle. However with these guys, it all changes... they are so neat and so similar to us humans. It's rare in snakes but with these retics, theres the anorexic ones, the healthy ones and the obese ones! For no other reason other than each retic is individual in their own unique way. Gotta love em! Thanks for sharing your post dude!

Old 02-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
JohnnyBoy198888
My 7 month old tiger retic girl hasn't accepted food in over a month, just wondering what if anything could be wrong? Nothing has changed in terms of set-up, temps, hides, handling etc... When I bought her 4 months ago, she was a monster eater, a big baby, but very nasty, always striking never wanting to be handled, just looking at her would make her pee and poop everywhere. Everything went well for next couple months but now everything is the opposite. She now allows handling with ease, doesn't rush to strike, still quite active, but has now turned into the worst eater of all the retics here. In fact, she now is on a food strike for just over one month. She doesn't want anything to do with food. Doesn't even strike or constrict it, she will just sit still. Anybody have advice for me, she is driving me crazy!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!