Unique Black Blood Situation - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
cguarino30
Unique Black Blood Situation

In December, I acquired an adult pair of Suamtran Short-tails, aka Black Bloods. Shortly after acquiring them, I threw them in together while cleaning one of their cages, and noticed that the female was wagging her tail, so I left them together for a few days to see if anything would happen, and they locked up. She ate voraciously, though that could mean nothing, but back in March, she laid a single slug.

I did some research and saw that a single slug sometimes preceded the laying of the rest of the clutch, so I considered this a sign that she would lay within the next week or so. I got the incubator ready and started monitoring her closely. Her appetite cut about in half, but other than that, I saw no changes. After a month or so and no eggs, I assumed it was a fluke.

A few weeks ago, she went off feed, which is very uncharacteristic for her, even in shed. I assumed she was just full from 6 months of beefing up, but she shed a little more than a week ago, and today, I came downstairs to find yet another single slug. I don't know if this means she is getting ready to lay for real now, or if it's just another lone slug.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Should I be worried about anything? She seems fine in every other way. She hasn't had any contact with the male since December, though, so it seems odd that she would lay now. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Rickky88_
You should ask this question on curtusforum.org great blood python site

Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
Were the slugs old or fresh? I've heard of a boa before that retained slug from the prior year's breeding and laid it in a similar manner, they knew it was from the prior year because of the condition of the slug which is why I am asking.

Sorry I can't offer more advice beyond taking her to the vet for ultrasound to verify if she is carrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickky88_ View Post
You should ask this question on curtusforum.org great blood python site
wow.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
cguarino30
Thanks everyone. I've been contacted by a couple of people and the consensus seems to be that these are old eggs that were not properly laid due to presumably imperfect husbandry at her previous home. Luckily, a couple weeks after my post, she went back on feed with a vengeance and is no longer showing any signs of problems. I will update the forum if there are any changes. Thanks to those who helped.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
If you ever have any other issues, definitely join the Short Tail Family on facebook too. Hopefully no more issues from here on out!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!