Question about Retic Size/Feeding...Please Advise - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
JohnnyBoy198888
Question about Retic Size/Feeding...Please Advise

Hi everyone, so silly question here...

You know how they say that retics grow at the greatest rate and for the most-part grow within the first 3 years of life give or take?... Well, my question is silly and I think I know the answer myself, but does this mean that if a retic is a very picky eater and only wants to eats twice a month through the first year, and is not the best of growers, you will wind up with a smaller than average adult or will it just take a little longer? Do retics really stop ever growing through life? Is it a myth about the first couple years and that if they are not fed best during that time, you will not have a normal, 12+ ft retic by the end of year 2? I am just a little confused and would like some insight and opinions on this, I heard a story recently about someone who adopted a retic that was I believe 5 years old and only 6-7 ft or something crazy like that, I think past owners were feeding mice and not frequent enough and the person who took it over began feeding the snake properly and within 2 solid years, by age 7, the snake, she was around 15 ft. I don't see how that is possible. I thought the snake would grow a foot per year at best at this age. What is the deal?! Thanks in advance to everyone.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Utta
As with any snake, they never stop growing. If they're a picky eater, they'll just grow slower. While true, picky eaters CAN have stunted growth, it's not common for snakes to be that stunted.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!