Moustache Parakeets? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
Karmic
Moustache Parakeets?

I'm interested in hearing anyone's comments on keeping this type of parrot. I am considering "rescuing" one who needs a new home and would like to get a little more info. I've read a few articles, but one says they are pretty quiet and another says they are pretty loud!

I have not gotten to talk to the actual owners yet to see what behavioral problems this bird may have, but I have seen a number of pictures which show that at least one time this bird was easily handled.

Anyway, any comments would be appreciated!

Old 01-23-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
Karmic
Well, I went ahead and adopted this bird. Unfortunately she's a feather picker. Hopefully, I can get her to stop since it has been a rather recent development. Her she is in her sad state.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
Karmic
The pic didn't load.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2005, 10:16 PM   #4
Lucille
Melissa, congrats on the new fid! (Feathered kid)!
It would be good to do a search on feather picking, you will see that it can have multiple different causes; anything from zinc found in a cage that has zinc in the paint; or neglect, or other causes. If you are in the Houston area, email me and I can provide the name of a good local bird vet; if not, ask around as most vets are not experts in birds.
I hope your keet stops plucking but even if it doesn't it will be a lovable bird and lucky to have you.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:36 PM   #5
Karmic
Thanks Lucille! I'm in Fort Worth. I actually work for a vet, but we don't treat exotics. (At least my vet has the good sense to admit when he doesn't know something! Many don't it seems.) Anyway, the possible causes are huge! I don't agree with how she was being feed or kept, but it hardly matters now that she's with me. At least they had her in a decent sized cage, albeit without many toys. Best of all, she seems to like me and since they found her several months ago, I don't think she was very attached to them.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:03 PM   #6
cynnrognbray
Maybe helpful info....

Try putting a feather duster in the cage with her. (a real one without coloring) all natural only that way it is safe for the bird , hang it off to the side of the cage, in the cage. This is suppose to be one way to help a bird stop plucking because they think that it is a real bird and preene it instead! Hope this helps Cyndi

Old 01-24-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
Karmic
Thanks Cyndi! I'll give that a try.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!