Another sign of getting old - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
JColt
Another sign of getting old

My wife and I just celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary on the 5th. We are not too much on parties or gift giving. Usually she buys what she likes and I buy what I like.

I got the mail the other day and had advertisement for adjustable beds. I thought, Hmmm. We have a queen size (that we share with 2 boxers and occasional cats) plus we had to put support at top because she has esophagus problems and it took me awhile to get used to that.

The company in the ad I was looking at wanted like 9 grand for king size, dual sided bed. Nope....

Got on Amazon and found a system that has a high rating and free shipping. So next Thursday we have a King size, dual side, 2 remote, 2 Cool Foam pillows coming for $2.399.00

Funny how excited we both are. It used to be big screen tv or car or computer. Now, a bed set does it. Probably not long before I get excited over newest dentures coming out

Old 05-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
Lucille
Congrats on the 31 years! Hope you have another 31 coming.
You made a good choice, I think. Too many people cheap out and either don't buy a bed with good support or keep the bed they have for too long when the support wears out, and they start getting crabby because their sleep quality deteriorates or start having backaches.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
chrisis697
Congrats!! Hope theres many more. Those beds are pretty sweet.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
JColt
Well yesterday they delivered. I moved queen sized bed down to basement from upstairs. The 2 platforms for new bed weigh 220# each. I had to move those by myself from front yard up a 3 turn staircase. Needless to say I am having a hard time moving today. I see why they charge $300.00 to deliver and set up. Towards the end I could barely rip the shrink wrap off batteries for remotes.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Well yesterday they delivered. I moved queen sized bed down to basement from upstairs. The 2 platforms for new bed weigh 220# each. I had to move those by myself from front yard up a 3 turn staircase. Needless to say I am having a hard time moving today. I see why they charge $300.00 to deliver and set up. Towards the end I could barely rip the shrink wrap off batteries for remotes.
Hah! If that were me trying to do that, they would still be in the front yard. And quite likely liable to remain there. Would be easier to just build a canopy over them and sleep outside.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Insomniac101
Quote:
My wife and I just celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary on the 5th.

Funny how excited we both are. It used to be big screen tv or car or computer. Now, a bed set does it. Probably not long before I get excited over newest dentures coming out
Congrats on 31 years!

My hubby and I just bought a Tempur-Pedic hybrid king-size, with the adjustable bases a few weeks ago, and absolutely love it!

We used to get excited about cars, computers, and other "young-people" stuff too, but now the bed does it for us as well! We did get a 42-inch flat screen TV with the bed purchase, so that got my hubby excited! (I couldn't care less - rarely watch TV.)

That's a great price, but we were afraid of buying that way if we were to have issues with the product down the road. We bought from a family-owned furniture chain that's been around forever, so I know any warranty concerns will be hassle-free. In hindsight, we probably could have save a lot by shopping around more, but with such a huge investment, we wanted to keep it local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
You made a good choice, I think. Too many people cheap out and either don't buy a bed with good support or keep the bed they have for too long when the support wears out, and they start getting crabby because their sleep quality deteriorates or start having backaches.
Yeah, ours was 15 years old, and way past its prime. Hubby's a lot heavier than I am, so I was starting to do the roll thing into the low spot! This bed has solved a multitude of problems - he snores much less with the head raised, and raising the foot has done wonders for my herniated disk pain, and his restless leg syndrome. Really worth the money in our situation, but definitely not cheap at $7k.

Quote:
I see why they charge $300.00 to deliver and set up. Towards the end I could barely rip the shrink wrap off batteries for remotes.
I know, right?! Definitely felt sorry for the guys getting this thing up the stairs, and around some snake cages! They earned their tip for that delivery! They also took away the old mattress and boxspring, which we didn't have a need for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Would be easier to just build a canopy over them and sleep outside.
Lol, you got that right! No way would we have attempted to do this ourselves!

Kathy

Old 05-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac101 View Post
my herniated disk pain, and his restless leg syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac101 View Post
definitely not cheap at $7k.

Part of the cost of items bought to alleviate illness and physical disability may be deductible, see your tax advisor

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

Old 05-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #8
JColt
Same here Kathleen, I may watch a movie upstairs every 2 months. I did a lot of research before buying off Amazon. Bed got good reviews and company did also. Everything looks quality under neath.It sleeps real nice. I need another day or 2 for neck to get used to new pillow. I like it though because it is heavy and does not move around at all.

Funny you should mention that Lucille. My wife has esophagus problems (2 operations so far) and we are waiting for her doctor to fax over his recommendation for purchase of this type of bed to alleviate her problem.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Part of the cost of items bought to alleviate illness and physical disability may be deductible, see your tax advisor

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf
Thanks, Lucille. We were talking about that after we bought the bed. I have physician-documented back problems, but don't know if the IRS will take my word for it that our new bed is "necessary". I think they classify beds as "durable medical equipment", but the "medically-necessary" part may be hard to prove. I'll have to see if my doctor will write something.

It may be a moot point anyway, as they've raised the threshold from 7.5% of AGI to 10%. Even though it's a problem many would love to have, I think we will make too much money this year.

Quote:
I need another day or 2 for neck to get used to new pillow. I like it though because it is heavy and does not move around at all.

Funny you should mention that Lucille. My wife has esophagus problems (2 operations so far) and we are waiting for her doctor to fax over his recommendation for purchase of this type of bed to alleviate her problem.
The pillows did take some getting used to. They're like a sack of playground sand! Once you get used to them, they are pretty comfy though.

My doctor recommend raising the head of the bed to help with acid reflux, and hubby's snoring, but didn't go so far as to put it in writing for tax purposes. You two should be able to claim the cost as well; esophagus problems are not fun.

I don't see why people shouldn't be able to write off stuff like this - whatever helps you get some sleep. Who wants to be out on the road with zombied-out drivers? It's also rough trying to sleep with a partner who's uncomfortable, and constantly flopping around.

Anyway, we love ours, and the free TV, and 5-year interest-free financing helped clench the deal for us.

Kathy

Old 05-14-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
Mistyck
Oh my gosh! Congrats on your anniversary!

And SO and I got a new bed about 6 years ago...best thing we ever did. It's a king size memory foam, and with 2 kids, & 2 cats, it's so great! (But we still only have about a foot of room because of the kids and cats. lol)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!