I need some feedback please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
Quiet Tempest
I need some feedback please

I just received this guy this morning but there's something wrong with him. He has a hard knot/bump on his back where the tail meets the body. I've never seen or dealt with anything like this before. Can I get your opinions on what would cause this? Would this adversely affect his ability to breed in the future? According to his feeding card he's been feeding well. I contacted the seller and he says he never noticed it before. Could this have happened during shipping? I was really looking forward to using this guy in future breeding projects and this knot/bump thing has me concerned.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
If it was packaged well, I highly doubt that could have happened during shipping (IMO). What did the box look like when you got it? Was there plenty of padding?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
DAND
That certainly looks like a kink to me. As for it effecting it's ability to breed, well that probably won't be known until breeding time but if it is a genetic deformity breeding wouldn't be advisable. If the breeder did not notice it then the breeder could use glasses and may want to touch the animal before selling them.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
TheFragginDragon
Also, what does the underside of the tail look like, any damage there?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Quiet Tempest
The packaging was fine. He was packed in a deli cup and packaged in an insulated box.

I can get pictures of his underbelly/tail but I didn't notice anything when I was checking him over this morning.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
TheFragginDragon
I'd have to agree with Dave, it does look like a kink.

If a breeder does deal with alot of babies, once in a great while a kinked one can get by them (we're only human); it's what they do to make the situation right that defines them. I had a similar situation with a baby I received, and the seller made it right by sending me completely without charge a replacement baby of equal value. The kinked one is being adopted out. Hopefully if you have to go that route you'll be treated with the same consideration.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Quiet Tempest
He said I could ship this one back for a replacement or take a $20 credit. :-/ I don't want either of his remaining pastels. They're nice in their own right but I picked this guy for his neat pattern.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Tempest View Post
He said I could ship this one back for a replacement or take a $20 credit. :-/ I don't want either of his remaining pastels. They're nice in their own right but I picked this guy for his neat pattern.
He should pay for the shipping back and refund your money if he doesn't have an acceptable replacement.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
Quiet Tempest
I got more pics of this guy and I'm pretty sure it's not an injury. After looking closer at his belly, I think this may have happened during incubation and went unnoticed after he hatched. If that's the case and he's still eating, drinking, and voiding himself do you think he would ok in the longrun or should I send him back?

Old 07-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
Melinda
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
I'd have to agree with Dave, it does look like a kink.

If a breeder does deal with alot of babies, once in a great while a kinked one can get by them (we're only human); it's what they do to make the situation right that defines them. I had a similar situation with a baby I received, and the seller made it right by sending me completely without charge a replacement baby of equal value. The kinked one is being adopted out. Hopefully if you have to go that route you'll be treated with the same consideration.

He is a pretty fella. If he were mine, since he does seem to be an exceptionally good colored/patterned animal AND if by the time he is up to breeding weight he is still exceptional, I would give him one chance and if he produced ANY kinked babies, he'd be put in pet only deformed status.

Quote:
He should pay for the shipping back and refund your money if he doesn't have an acceptable replacement.
07-14-2010 02:07 PM

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!