Bad Guy Kingsnake.com –Enabling Internet Fraud!!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
Tiger Lilly
Thumbs up The word of the day is BOI--help spread the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike17l View Post
Yeah, but KS.com should still try to protect its buyers, not it's crooks.

Not everyone who finds animals for sale on KS knows about the BOI.
I agree as well with the first part of your statement, but I also agree with Harald's post. It is up to US to protect ourselves. I also look at KS, but don't buy unless it's from someone that a) I've checked out on the BOI, & b) also has ads here on Fauna.
As for the second part of your statement:

HELP SPREAD THE WORD!

(taking over soapbox) Without the BOI, scammers would likely take over a hobby/business that many of us hold dear to our hearts. We would likely NOT have a lot of advances in the morph areas if everyone was selling fake hets in a willy-nilly manner! After just reading some of the posts regarding certain people/businesses (TSE comes to mind)...I decided long ago that 'if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.' Again, TSE comes to mind. I came soooo close to buying from them because they had great deals. I put it off & put it off until such a time as, what do ya know, they were found to be selling fake hets! Now, while the BOI didn't help so much with my decision not to buy from them, it will forever immortalize the names of the people and businesses that have scammed, screwed over and just flat out stole money from people under the guise of selling reptiles! Let me re-phrase that: the BOI will forever immortalize the good guys AND the bad guys AS LONG AS WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT IT!
(relinquishes soapbox...NEXT!)

Old 03-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
Mooing Tricycle
Mr. Scolaro is a real class act.... *rolls eyes*

Im glad you got the FBI involved, the guy needs a boot in the rear. Can you explain how things went down? What did you try to purchase?

Old 03-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
Mr. Scolaro is a real class act.... *rolls eyes*

Im glad you got the FBI involved, the guy needs a boot in the rear. Can you explain how things went down? What did you try to purchase?
Ah. Found the other thread. Pardon.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
Tiger Lilly
Moo, can you post the link to the one he's talking about? I've heard so much bad about him I'm afraid to do a search...

Old 03-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
Moo, can you post the link to the one he's talking about? I've heard so much bad about him I'm afraid to do a search...
I believe this is the one
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=127840

Old 03-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
mike17l
Quote:
Yeah, but KS.com should still try to protect its buyers, not it's crooks.

Not everyone who finds animals for sale on KS knows about the BOI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole View Post
Good luck with that!
Yeah, that was my first thought this morning, but after having read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I believe that this thread is jumping to an inaccurate conclusion. Failing (either by intent or neglect) to prevent fraud is NOT enabling or condoning such actions. And, in fact, anyone who claims to be preventing fraud by disabling persons from advertising on their site who APPEAR to be fraudulent may actually be taking on an enormous legal burden by the implication that all buyers are therefore safe from fraud by purchasing from sellers who ARE allowed to advertise there. That is an extremely risky position for anyone to take. I know I certainly will not do so, and I seriously doubt that Jeff Barringer is willing to take up that burden of risk as well.

Pretty much people need to take the stance of caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware. It is completely up to the buyer to do their homework and take every step possible to determine if they are making a wise decision. To leave this important factor of business completely in someone else's hands is pure folly, at best. To EXPECT someone else to do your homework for you, is unfair to demand of anyone, and pretty darn unrealistic as well.
I will agree, I would not want to take on the responsibility, I had not thought about that at all.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #17
JG1153
Quote:
Yeah, that was my first thought this morning, but after having read...

I will agree, I would not want to take on the responsibility, I had not thought about that at all.
I also agree but to the some extent can certainly see the dilemma but isn't KS then taken on the responsibility of aiding these pople

take this example: if one day you decide to rent a room out of your house and a teenager shows up to try to rent the room and you ultimately decide to go ahead and rent the room to him/her. You later realize that this teenager is actually a runaway. Is it not your duty to notify the authorities and have this person removed because at the very least, and as as of this moment you are aware that you are in fact breaking the law by aiding this person. is it not your responsibility to do what you can to remedy the situation and protect yourself. Or would it be ok for you to wash your hands from the matter by saying this has nothing to do with you and therefore it is not your responsibility to act on this matter and at the same time continue to profit from the situation by continuing to collect rent?

At the same time though you have been a very vocal member of an organization that pledges to fight crime and help those who have been a victim of crime.

How is this different than the current situation this thread is about?

anytime you turn your head the other way on a crime of and especially when you profit from it you are legaly liable to for this crime. You are at a very basic level an accomplice.
if KS does not take the responsibility to prevent fraud on their site they are in a very real sense takning on the responsibility of being an accomplice.

I'm not saying KS needs to actively patrol i'ts site for criminal behavior but when they are very clearly presented with a case where this going on. Is it not their responsibility to deal with it accordingly if at the very least to protect themselves?

Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #18
JG1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Just to add another perspective - call it defending KS, if you will - the decision to cancel advertisers over a complaint does not come easily. It basically means that whoever is in charge of making the decision is willing to serve as judge in matters where the "evidence" is 2 people saying 2 different things. Many have noticed, and commented on, the fact that "known bad guys" can post ads HERE...the home of the BOI. I'm pretty sure that Rich has stated that he is not willing to take responsibility for deciding if the complaints have merit, or how many complaints should lead to suspension of advertising privileges, and how numerous other things will factor in to the equation (ie. if the seller refunds or replaces after his advertising is cut off).

I can certainly understand this line of thought and as long as those engaging in commerce on this site are aware of this than there is nothing wrong with that as these would be the sites terms of use, but KS very clearly states: under their Complaints/Rip offs in the classifieds page:

Everyone who has purchased items online there are good deals and bad deals. There are also some complete rip-offs. Realistically there is little we can do to get your money back or get you satisfaction. We are not attorneys, mediators, or members of a law enforcement agency. We can and we do strictly enforce our Terms of Service and fraud and theft certainly violate those policys so if you feel you have been ripped off or de-frauded make sure to file a complaint here with our abuse coordinator.

and then under their Terms of Service:

• Account Violations & Resolutions

• Vendor Complaints - Please note that UNLESS the complaint involves non-delivery of goods or theft, all vendors have a three-complaint rule. Get three (3) complaints and you have to resolve them ALL before we can allow you to post again.

• Any complaints of non-delivery of goods, non-payment of goods received, or theft are cause for immediate suspension of your account.

“As for scammers and fraud artists - we do prosecute and have already been involved with a number of arrests and prosecutions.”

• Intentional / Repeat Violations of TOS - Anyone intentionally violating this TOS, or continuing to violate this TOS after receiving notice/warning of a TOS violation is subject to having their account privileges restricted or terminated with no warning or notice. If you receive a TOS violation notice, take no corrective action, and violate the same section of the TOS again, your account privileges may be restricted or terminated with no warning or notice.
Legal

Please note that we take all reports of criminal activity very seriously and work closely with law enforcement agencies, local, state, and federal, on a regular basis. If you know of criminal activity occurring on this web site, we encourage you to contact the proper law enforcement agency, file a formal complaint, and ask the agency involved to contact our legal department.
Any violations of the terms listed above that cause your account to be terminated will cause any and all registration or advertising fees paid to be forfeit to OnlineHobbyist.com, Inc.

Be aware that if you violate our Terms Of Service, OnlineHobbyist.com, Inc. may delete or edit your messages, contact your internet service provider, have your account terminated, cancel your advertising, and/or block your access to our web site. PetHobbyist.com and its affiliated communities reserve the right to terminate any account, refuse service, or limit access at our discretion.

Isn’t all of this big talk in effect saying they will take the responsibility to try to best of their ability to fight cyber crime. just because Dan was basically forced to return my money doesn't mean he basically never stole it. not to mention that by his own admission he was trying to steal other peoples money. not only does Dan's case fall within the bounds of these terms not just as theft but he is also a repeat offender

Remember this is Dan we're talking about not some first time offender chances are Dan has had multiple compaints filed on him for similar things. If he doesn't warrant removal from the site who does?

Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
MikeCurtin
One thing I noticed...did you have the authorities you reported Dan to contact Kingsnake, or did you do it yourself. Also, when you contacted them, did you give them ALL the proof of transaction and wrongdoing? I don't doubt what happened with Mr. Scumlaro, but if a good portion of it was done by phone and Kingsnake doesn't have enough written proof, there may be little they can do. Just something to consider.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #20
JG1153
When you file a complaint with KS and IC3, kingsnake only asks you to state your claim. IC3 asks you to state your claim and asks whether you have proof to substantiate your claim. neither asks you to attach such proof or subsequently submit it. at least not until you are contacted about it, not to mention that I did not want to or think it wise to swamp either one with 4 months worth of emails and voicemail messages in addition to police reports and any other evidence I had until they were ready to receive the bulk of information. But at the time of the complaint both were specifically made aware of the amount and type of evidence as well as the previous steps I had taken and that any evidence they required would gladly be provided. The only ones who asked for immediate evidence were the local P.D.s in order to attach these documents to the reports.

in fact for kingsnake to take your claim seriously and process it you are required to file a complaint with IC3 and provide proof before they take any action. Therefore they were well aware, not to mention that in their terms of use it specifically states:

"Please note that we take all reports of criminal activity very seriously and work closely with law enforcement agencies, local, state, and federal, on a regular basis. If you know of criminal activity occurring on this web site, we encourage you to contact the proper law enforcement agency, file a formal complaint, and ask the agency involved to contact our legal department."

All the information was readily available all they needed to do was show an interest.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!