First Crested Gecko Egg Success!!! New Baby - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
mialma09
First Crested Gecko Egg Success!!! New Baby

Hey me and my wife got our first ever crested gecko egg from one of our two girls who was also her first egg and only layed one as well and we got it to hatch out nice and healthy. This is squeakers with it its mom who is really fired down, usually a bright brick red and yellow back but still a nice photo.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
HerpLuver
Gorgeous little crested! Kind of looks like a darker version of one of my cresteds we call "Hopper".

I don't mean to overstep here, but I'm not sure if you know this or not. It's very dangerous putting a baby and an adult in the same vicinity as each other. It can quickly go from an "Awww" moment to "OMG NO!!". One swift bite from that adult will crush that babies skull. As far as she knows, that baby could just be dinner.

Now, if my knowledge of Cresties is wrong, by all means please correct me.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
mialma09
Thanx for the input yeah we wanted just the pic on the lower back because I didnt want to really put the weeee one on the mom but my wife was like awwwwhhhh it'll be so cute so took two and called it a rap but yah I do realize it is a possibility so I wont be letting my wife do that anymore but thanx for the comment. This little ones dad is a chocolate extreme harley and has a nice jet black color to him so hopefully this one will get more red sides and the extreme harley pattern of the dad.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
mialma09
Here is the mom when she is fired up the bottom girl...
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Kristi23
Congrats! Mom is beautiful!

Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Belfry
Congrats! I'm sure they'll be many more healthy babies to follow

So how long was little squeakers incubating for?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
mialma09
The little one incubated in just vermicualite and water mixture in a deli cup for 85 days even
and hatched out at 1.6g

Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
mialma09
Also I wanted to ask a question to any who have a good amount of experience with newborn cresteds. I understand for a couple of days that new cresteds will prolly not eat because they can still be absorbing nutrients from the egg, and that poop is usually a good indicator that they are eating. But my wife was a little concerned with that it hadnt looked like it eatin yet nor that I have seen any black specs of poop and wondered at about what time would be a little concern for it? It hatched out on 27Jun2013 and its in a small sterilite container with a piece of bamboo a small stick to climb on and a little foliage leaves, it also has two small like water bottle taps with some CGD and distilled water for food and drink so u have an idea on what its in.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
rcarichter
At this age, they rely heavily on misting for their water intake, so make sure he gets sprayed am and pm. At the same time, make sure his container is vented enough to stay humid but not wet. It's difficult in a small container. The amount of CGD he should be eating now will probably not be noticeable. He'll take a few small licks per night. If he's active at night and looking healthy, I wouldn't worry. Kept alone, baby cresteds are pretty tough as long as they stay cool and hydrated. (I agree; the baby should not be near Mom). "Not eating" is easily the biggest concern among new crested parents (grandparents), but is nearly always unwarranted.
Good luck!
Noelle

Old 07-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #10
mialma09
Ok that sounds good thanx a lot for the helpful advice. And we won't be putting the babies near the mother anymore to be on the safe side since it really is a hazard for the little one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!