Disappointed... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-03-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
ecmorrell
Unhappy Disappointed...

My first egg was infertile... My girl laid while I was at work and by the time I got home they must have been too dried out to be viable. I hope she breeds again soon!!

Old 06-03-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
ecmorrell
Oh btw... I'm a n00b with Leos, any advice would be welcome!!!

Old 06-03-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
Gecko_Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmorrell
My first egg was infertile... My girl laid while I was at work and by the time I got home they must have been too dried out to be viable. I hope she breeds again soon!!

You don't need to breed her again, once they start laying, they will continue to give you a clutch every 14 days or so. This will last anywhere from 2-15 clutches, depending on size and age of the gecko.

Don't feel bad about the first clutch being bad, a lot of first timers will drop an infertile first clutch.

What kind of set-up do you have for your egg laying box? You should keep the medium moist in the laybox, this will keep the eggs from drying out so fast after they are laid. Often my breeders will lay after I go to work and I don't find the eggs until the evening.

Also, just because they are dented doesn't mean they are trashed. If you place them in the incubator, most times the eggs will puff up again, assuming they were fertile to begin with...

Hope that helps.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
ecmorrell
I just got a laybox the day after I noticed she was pregnant, and by the time I got home she had already layed them! Now of course, I have a box with moist vermiculite.

Good to know that she'll keep laying, I'm so excited!

Thanks for the tips!

Old 06-03-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
Gregg M
Vermiculite is no good for a lay box.....

bed-a-beast or plain old peat will do the job the best.....

Old 06-03-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
dragonflyreptiles
She will lay more for you and I agree with Gregg ditch the vermiculite, I used to use it and the leos would lick at it and poop it out, nasty stuff honestly.

I use eco earth coconut fiber, works better and is natural.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:01 PM   #7
Gecko_Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M
Vermiculite is no good for a lay box.....

bed-a-beast or plain old peat will do the job the best.....
Disagree, I use verm in all my lay boxes....

Old 06-03-2005, 07:17 PM   #8
dragonflyreptiles
Well it works fine I just didn't like it being in the poop

Old 06-03-2005, 08:29 PM   #9
g&mgeckos
She will definitely lay more eggs. As far as the laybox debate I use 3:1 Peat Moss: Vermiculite. Works great for me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!