Anyone have success breeding Prehensile Tailed Skinks? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-29-2006, 08:49 AM   #21
Kisha
Merry Christmas to me!!

Just discovered a new baby! It looks like my groups are really on an every other year schedule, this female had a baby this same time two years ago. So much fun! I'm glad to see so many other babies, good job everyone.

Kisha
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #22
Kisha
But wait, there's more...

OMG! Its twins!!! My female was spending a lot of time at the bottom of the cage, which I thought was strange since she usually stays with the new baby. When I looked more closely there was another baby curled up in the corner, I think she had just delivered it. There was what looked like placenta on the substrate and the baby still had a small patch of yolk sac attached. This second one is much smaller than the 1st, but otherwise looks ok, he even crawled around while I was watching. This is my 1st set of twins, the difference in their sizes is surprising, but I think normal from what I have read. It's all I can do to leave them alone, they are so cute. Enjoy the photos!

Kisha
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2006, 04:45 PM   #23
seishin
WHOO-HOOO!!! YIPPEE!!! They are SO *PRECIOUS*!!!

I'm so thrilled for you, Kisha!!! Congratulations!!!

Question: do you do anything special to ensure that your babies are getting enough water?

-- Celeste

Old 12-29-2006, 05:48 PM   #24
Kisha
Thanks! I'm just so happy that my groups are doing so well. I don't do anything special with the babies other than mist, mist, mist. I will put a very shallow water dish back in after they are a few days old and are getting around OK. I'm always worried they might drown in a water dish, so I take it out at first. I'll also be offering mom tons of food to help her recover. They always look so thin after. I'll keep you posted on their progress.

Kisha

Old 12-31-2006, 05:37 PM   #25
K-Ran
Wow, twins - how lucky! Did you have any clue that she was going to have twins? Did she look larger than your average gravid female?

I was also wondering if anyone has ever witnessed a birth? What are the signs that let you know that "tonight is the night". My female is at 30 weeks and I am going crazy waiting. I'm wondering if it is ever going to happen!

Karen

Old 01-01-2007, 12:29 AM   #26
jrbl
Karen,

I have personally never experienced a Corucia birth. My first should be within the next few weeks. I too am going nuts waiting. Sometimes I think she is getting smaller, even though she is probably bigger than ever.

The person from which I got my male Corucia had 9 births of experience. She told me the signs that birth is near are numerous. Soon before birth, the gravid female usually shed. Soon can mean hours to a week. The days leading to the birth, the gravid female will start heat seeking behavior. Basking will take up much of her time. She will also stop eating a day or two before birth. The female will also spend a great deal of time soaking in the water dish.

Hope this helps, Jrbl

Old 01-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #27
K-Ran
Thanks for the info. My female is getting ready to shed, so we will continue to wait, and wait and wait.... Keep us posted as well.

Thanks, Karen

Old 01-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #28
seishin
I never know exactly when the births will take place, and usually I don't see the babies for a couple of days (they are hidden), but if the mother suddenly looks thinner, starts eating like a pig, and lunges at you every time you open the cage, chances are there's a baby hidden in the cage *somewhere*! :-)

-- C

Old 01-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #29
K-Ran
The wait is over... sort of

Well, it finally happened - my female delivered at last night around 6:40 pm. The baby was VERY small ( I am guessing maybe 60g at most) I knew there must be twins. I got my video and camera and waited. Sure enough, 2 hours later another beautiful baby was born! We all got to see it (and if my camera did not run out of video film, we also got it on film! I was so caught up in the moment I forgot to watch the film remaining clock! Anyway, the second baby was larger (but not by much) and looked better overall. Both consumed some of either the yolk sac or the birth sac or both. They are weak this morning and one struggles to take deep breaths. I worry about the temps in the bottom of the enclosure at night. It is always warmer at the top, but drops to 72-74 at the bottom. Could they just be too cold? I have a heat pad in there, but they keep scooting off it. The first baby has a sort of deflated look to his body, the second one is better, but both are weak this morning. It will warm up this morning. Anyone have any suggestions? I feel powerless and sad.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #30
Kisha
It is so hard when you want to be in control and make sure everything turns out well. Try to remember that this is nature, and you have little control at this point. If the babies are strong, they will survive. If not, it has nothing to do with you. I was not around for my first 2 births, just discovered a huge baby in the cage one day. This last one I discovered shortly after she delivered. One big strong baby first, then several hours later a smaller one. The smaller one just didn't seem right and 72 hours later was found dead at the bottom of the cage. I have no idea what the problem was, but in such a short amount of time it must have been something internally wrong. It is possible that my other births had been twins, but since I was not around the female may have taken care of things and I never even knew. The point is that these babies are supposed to be born ready to go, if they aren't there is little we can do to help them. I'm not saying "don't bother trying", by all means do what ever seems to help. Its just that nature is not always nice. Don't be discouraged, and best of luck with your new little ones. My thoughts are with you (and them).

Kisha

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!