Two questions for experienced owners/breeders - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-16-2004, 03:15 AM   #1
syrus
Two questions for experienced owners/breeders

Have you ever been bitten by any of your geckos, if so, what was the situation?
Have any of your geckos gotten loose?

Old 08-16-2004, 04:31 AM   #2
Manhattan Herps
I was bitten by one of my tangerine albinpo males as i was aidiong him is shedding, some shed was on one toe, then bam. he locked on and trashed around..left a bloody mess of my finger...still have the scars..usually they dont bite unless provoked, and it really doesnt hurt unless they want it to

i have also have 4 geckos lose so far, one was gone for 2 months others when only gone a few days..trick to finding them is...shutting off all the lights and make sure there are no sounds...after about 20 mins turn them on real fast, that how i usually find mine, there are other ways though

Old 08-16-2004, 12:13 PM   #3
progeckos
I’ve been bit a few times by some of my males. They let go pretty fast so it never drew blood or hurt. One bit me when he was shedding and the others when it was dark. They obviously felt threatened when I put my hand in their cage so they bit it.

Lucky I’ve only had one gecko get loose and I found her a couple days later. She was a small gecko, only about 1 month old. What I did was put a couple dishes of water out and one night I found her drinking from the dishes. Obviously they cense water very well.

Old 08-16-2004, 12:44 PM   #4
Golden Gate Geckos
ouch!

I have been bitten a few times and once where it drew blood. Usually, if they bite it doen't really amount to anything... more like a warning when they are really being bugged. I get bitten all the time by my hatchlings, and it really cracks me up... here's this little tiny thing hissing, screaming, and biting!

I have had many escapees, and only once did one venture out beyond the reptile room. I almost always find them the same day... and like the other posts, it's usually when it's dark and I turn on the light.

Old 08-16-2004, 12:54 PM   #5
ShannanD25
I have been bit a few times, once very very bad. Talk about hurt and a bloody mess. I had just gotten done moving one male around and then stupidly went to pick up another male....
Other then that just a few warning nips.

I have had many get out. So far I have found them all except one girl who has been gone about two weeks now. I tore apart my entire reptile room with no luck and have been checking everywhere else I can think of. I am going to try the water dish trick tonight and see if I can get her.

It seems it is always the same ones escaping. Some are content to lay around in their bins, others don't stop till they are scurrying up the side and gaining their freedom....

Good luck

Old 08-17-2004, 01:25 AM   #6
syrus
For the people that have answered the questions...how did they escape?
little critters always seem to escape even when people swear they had the top on and everything, but how do they do it?

Old 08-17-2004, 12:11 PM   #7
progeckos
I’m not exactly sure how mine escaped but I think it happened while I was feeding. I had the tub open and I turned around to get some roaches. I put the roaches in a closed it up. The next day all the roaches were still there and I then realized the gecko was gone. Lucky I found her the following day.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:56 PM   #8
riverjop
I've been bitten a few time's! Hey!...but what the heck....I figure that I still have four fingers left on that hand!....wait.....1......2....3.. ok three fingers left!!! no problem!
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2004, 06:58 PM   #9
riverjop
Here's a picture of the little she-devil trying to get away!
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2004, 07:01 PM   #10
progeckos

Overton you’re too funny!!! You need to get more leos so you don’t have any free time. LOL.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!