Why Testing For Adenovirus Is SO Important - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
Neverland Dragons
Why Testing For Adenovirus Is SO Important

Well, this is not a post that I had ever wanted to make. But I have been a strong proponent of testing for adenovirus and feel that this adds to the importance of breeders testing, no matter how big or small they are.

I sent in my samples for testing and am saddened to say that pretty much my entire colony has been cross infected from the adenovirus outbreak I had last season. Herbie, my pride and joy, is positive. I tested 5 out of 7 dragons and 4 were positive. I think the other one is as well, she is just not shedding the virus. It is important to note that all of these dragons tested negative using the fecal em last fall. Ongoing testing needs to be done.

It is important to note that people who purchased dragons from my first season should not have any issues. In fact, Denise from Cali Dragons has two females and they tested negative through both fecal em and pcr testing. This is something that came about recently and not a reflection of Herbie and Tiger Lily's line. I say this because I had the unfortunate experience this week of having a breeder tell me that the dragon they purchased from me had died when I emailed to ask how she was doing. There just happens to be another female that is IDENTICAL (I have the pictures to prove it) to the one I sold them that now has a different name and bloodline on their site. I know the truth and they have to live with their lie.

I appreciate all of the support this community has given me. I wanted to be one of the breeders that made a difference and produce healthy genetically sound dragons for owners and breeders alike. I do not have it in me to get rid of my entire colony and start over. Herbie has always held a special place in my heart and will always have a home with me. I am also going to keep two others and place the rest in homes where they will be well loved. So, today I became a pet owner that still cares tremendously for these awesome lizards, but will no longer be breeding.

I have made some great friends that I have no doubt will last through the years. I have also had some people, one breeder in particular, that I thought was a good friend and dropped me like a hot potato and betrayed my confidence when he found out I was going public with the adenovirus issue. At some point you just realize they were never a friend to begin with.

I am sure that more people will come forward and I hope that we as a community support them. I do hope that more definitive answers are available in the future. I still believe that to not test is irresponsible and not in the best interest of the U.S. bearded dragon population. What if I had decided not to test? How far would this have unknowingly spread? And I have a very small colony. At the very least, breeders can test and NOT breed any adeno positive dragons. I think that is the very least that should be done. I think this is much bigger than we realize and if we choose to sit back and do nothing, bearded dragons will pay the price.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Tere Salazar
Wendy-

My heart goes out to you. I know that if anyone could have come back with a clean colony, it would have been you. I know how hard you've tried, not only to ensure that the dragons you produced would be healthy, but also to help everyone in the bearded dragon community be a little better educated about this virus, learning from your experiences.

I, for one, thank you for coming forward when you did. You saved me from breeding another year, with the potential of infecting hundreds of other households with this virus. You have also been there for me anytime I needed, and you are my friend, dragon breeding or not.

I respect you, as well as the decisions you've made, both now and in the past. You are a true credit to this community, and are of incredible integrity.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
Cat_72
Oh Wendy.........I am so sorry. I just don't know what else to say at this point, except express my heartfelt sorrow for you. You've done all that you possibly could, and it is time for others to step up to the plate and do it as well.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
Denisebme
Wendy,
As I said to you earlier, I am so very sorry that this has happened to you.
This whole situation just underscores the need for testing. If not for you coming forward when you did and having the courage and strength of character to speak out, I'm convinced that this situation would be worse for all of us.
As for my Neverland girls, we have one more round of testing to do this year when they lay. I'm pretty confident they are going to continue to test negative.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
Neverland Dragons
Thanks guys. I do hope that this is just the beginning of people trying to understand this virus and the impact it has on bearded dragons. It would be a shame for all of this to be forgotten and the same thing happen to a new group of breeders in a few years. I am going to change my site as a resource for beardie care and for adenovirus. If everyone does their part, we will hopefully have some answers to our questions.

I actually had a bad feeling about this before I sent off for testing and already have plans to become a teacher's assistant for a year or two, while going to school for my teaching certification, then become a teacher. So, I am really o.k. with this. I told myself if I could not breed, how I felt was the right way, then I would not do it at all. The thing I want most is to make a difference in this world, and I think teaching will enable me do that. :-)

Old 03-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
walker75
Wendy

I am so sad and the reason is because you will no longer be a breeder. You have high standards and ethics.

You have made a difference... You have brought this nasty Virus Adenovirus of Bearded Dragons to the community openly and honesty. The effects of this on your colony are now public.

I hope others will stand tall and come forward as you have because this cannot just happen to 2 breeders and thats it.

You have made the right choices when Now it does matter.

If only others would have made the same choices you did... when they had the chance.

I think you would be a great teacher and I hope the Community will learn from your experience. And not Breed Adenovirus Dragons as it has proven to be devastating to the Health of the Dragons.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!