Leopard gecko with MBD feeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-26-2017, 04:40 AM   #1
Dracul
Leopard gecko with MBD feeding

Anybody have some tips for helping my gecko eat? I received him like this from a friend. He has legs and back problems so it's a little hard for him to catch prey and possible soft jaws as well because the crickets he does manage to catch have gotten away. I've been making do with pinching th crickets in my fingers and letting him take them that way. Is there any diet that could set him on the road to recovery to the point he may one day be able to catch prey on his own or should I just continue hand feeding? I've begun dusting the crickets with rep-cal with vitamin D3 whenever I feed him and leave a small amount of powder in his cage for him to lick

Old 07-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
bcr229
I would switch to dubia roaches. IMO they're a better feeder than crickets as they have more protein and less chitin, so one dubia is equivalent to 2-3 crickets of the same length. They also can't jump, can't climb smooth surfaces, don't stink, don't make noise, and don't move too quickly so your lizard should be able to catch them more easily. They don't chew on gecko toes either, so if one escapes in the enclosure you don't have to worry about catching it.

If I'm planning for feeding in the evening I'll put some fresh fruit rind or cores in with the dubias that morning. Anything with sticky juice, like pear, mango, or apple, is ideal because that makes the dubias sticky so when they're dusted with the calcium/D3 powder they end up with a good coating of it.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
elena
I second that vote for dubia. I hadn't worked with dubia until a few years ago, but when I was attempting to care for a very sick BD, other rehabbers suggested dubia. I felt that the nutrition of dubia helped this animal, though she ended up being too far gone and didn't make it, so I started feeding dubia to other BDs, and was pleased with the results. I never offered dubia to my leos, but I would be willing to.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!