Sick Savannah Monitor - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-28-2008, 02:48 AM   #31
sellershotts84
i was digging around all my stuff and i found http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/En...cgbGlnaHQiO30= could i use this in place of the other brand basking bulb?

Old 08-28-2008, 03:59 AM   #32
MicroZooKits
Sure can! Looks like you have everything you need already

Old 08-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #33
sellershotts84
I increased the heat and humidity a slight notch and he seems to be doing better today, but now the eye problem still is ongoing, he will not open his eyes and all now he even eats with his eyes closed. the only way i can get him to open his eyes is by turning him upside town and then he opens for a slight second.

i was reading online that for infection, Buytil can be giving in 5mg dosages to rid the infection, any vets out there know any thing about that.

as i stated before there are no vets around my area that do exotic pets so i have to self treat this one.

thanks

Old 08-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #34
sellershotts84
also the uva basking i got was 25 watts, it heats the basking spot to 115-125 per infer red tester. 25 watts sounds low but i suppose its what i need since cage is not very deep

Old 08-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #35
MicroZooKits
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellershotts84
also the uva basking i got was 25 watts, it heats the basking spot to 115-125 per infer red tester. 25 watts sounds low but i suppose its what i need since cage is not very deep
Post a picture of your setup please so I can tell you exactly what to do.
or you can email it to me - info@microzookits.com

First things first, 25watts is WAY too low. I don't care what your temp gun says it's not nearly enough for a 24" tall cage. You're gonna need at least 100watts if not more.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #36
sellershotts84
i measured it and its only 13 inches tall, but when i got home from work the lizard somehow popped the top and got out of the enclosure. It took about 2 hours to find him and he was in the closet hanging in my jacket. When i pulled him out he was wide awake pissed and eyes wide open acting normal, i set him on my lap for a bit and eyes still open. Put him in the enclosure and he was back to closing his eyes again, i turned the 10.0 uvb off and he begin to open his eyes so i think its got something to do with this light, but not 100% sure because last night he would not open them and the 10.0 was off. It must be hurting his eyes somehow or something in the cage is affecting his eye sigh. I will dig my cam out and get some pics,

grammar and punctuation is bad but im in lack of time

Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #37
Digby Rigby
Lighting

Lights labeled Full Spectrum are referring to visible light spectrum only not UV or infra red. UVB bulbs also have UVA in sufficient amounts. it is better to use lower wattage bulbs than higher wattage. By that I mean say 3 50 watt bulbs in a row as opposed to a single 160 watt. You can get the bulbs closer to the animals and it creates a baking spot that allows them to get their whole body under it. Also the lower watt bulbs mean the monitor wont burn itself if it comes in contact with them. If I am having heat issues but light is sufficient then I like to use either ceramic heat emitters or radiant heat panels.

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

Old 10-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #38
Ashaman0
Hi Tim, I might have some advice for you. I just took my savanah to the vet about a week ago for a similar problem. He sometimes would walk around with his eyes closed and rarely opens his left eye.

Heres what the vet said. There are usually 1 of three reasons for reptiles not openning their eyes.

1) They have something in them, dirt, food, whatever. Should be obvious
2) They are dehidrated. make sure you have enough water for him to submerg in. Also if you have hard tap water, you may want to use distilled water.
3) Not enough vitamins. Sometimes they cant produce enough eye lubricant

If your feeding him primarly insects, or not using any suplaments its most likely vitamins. The vet gave me a puppy vitamin suplament for like 10 bucks, that I inject into the mice I feed him which has fixed the problem for me. She said any vitamin suplament with a lot of vitamin A should do the trick.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:37 AM   #39
Ashaman0
Also you may want to read this
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=104802

I just found this. My lizards eyes have gotten better with vitamins but they are not completely better, they are still closed most of the time when he is lying down in his cage. I have one of the mentioned bulbs and I am going to leave it off for a few days and see if he gets better.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!