Nile Monitor Assistance - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 03:55 AM   #1
LizardCrazy
Nile Monitor Assistance

Hello everyone, I have a 4ft 3in male Nile Monitor that I adopted from my friend. This is my first lizard this big, I currently have 9 other lizzies. What are proper feeding and caging care? He is currently in a dog kennel, I think the medium size, and is not trapped in there. I take him out everyday, clean his home everyday, and feed him every 2-3 days. So far I have fed him live goldfish, cat food, scrambled eggs with the shells, and some hot dogs. I was told to not feed him vegetables.

If anyone can tell me more information on he species (what he eats, how long he can live, how fast he can grow, etc) that's be great!!

Thanks all, Chantal.
My "Pitter" and I

Old 10-23-2008, 04:31 AM   #2
KelliH
Wow. I don't know a whole lot about Niles but I do know that he needs a much larger enclosure than what you are keeping him in. He also needs areas in the cage to hide and things to climb on. He needs a heat gradient (warm area of the cage and cooler area of the cage) and probably an even warmer basking area would be a good thing. Are you aware that full grown Niles are sometimes 6 feet long and require extremely large enclosures?

Here is some more information about Niles-
http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/l...le-monitor.php

Old 10-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
TheFragginDragon

Also, very important, if you want that Nile to keep his demeanor, it will be important to continue to interact with him regularly. They have a habit of becoming quite defensive and intractable otherwise as they get older (and some do anyways). You've got the second or third biggest species of lizard in the world there, you don't want to be on his bad side Good luck!!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
TheFragginDragon
Oh, and save the hot dogs for company

Old 10-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
LizardCrazy
Wow thanks for the replies all! I play with him everyday... he loves being held and just walking in our front yeard. He loves to climb on me too.. I crack jokes saying instead of me having a new toy, he has one...I'm his personal jungle gym.. I love it though. I forgot to mention he has a heating rock, and soon will get a special UVB bulb.. My freind forgot to bring that over when he dropped Pitter off. My mom will soon have someone build him a cage that can roll... I'm excited to see that final project.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
TheFragginDragon
Another suggestion, get rid of the heat rock as soon as you can. They can and do develop extreme hot spots after time that can end up burning their bellys. Would be best to use a basking lamp or two from overhead, or a heat mat designed for use inside the cage along with a thermostat.

Make sure you post more pics, we love 'em!

Old 10-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
LizardCrazy
Here are some more picture of us together.
we were watching tv here

he was in his "threatning" language

Pitter on my back

its the lochness monster!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
LizardCrazy
Hey we just got him a new cage today... Went to the swap meet, and they had this bird cage... It looked amazing and it was!!! Here are the pictures I took of Pitter in it.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
SPJ
What is the temp of the basking spot and the overall ambient temp?

I have yet to see a tame nile when kept at optimum temps. They are out there but VERY rare.

When kept cool, they are handleable but once they warm up (basking spot of 135 degrees) they revert back to typical niles.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
LizardCrazy
I don't have a basking spot yet.. My friend needs to drop the bulb and lamp off.. How ,uch will it run me though?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!