Can someone please help me? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-13-2005, 03:34 AM   #11
HMFindlay
Some mysteries....

Why does my ig freak out alot? I dont think I scare it. And it seems like running out of my apartment when I let it wander in my lounge.

And... is there huge possibility that my ig will stay 'wild and aggressive' the whole life even after I try to make friend with it?

Thanks for all helps

Old 12-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #12
Junkyard
You have not had your ig long enough for it to trust you. Patience is the key here.

I have one fiesty little girl, about 9 years old, that I cannot hold, she will scratch and bite to get away. I have had her for 3 months now. But (always a but), she now will not eat unless her food is in my hand. If I leave her food in a bowl or on the cage floor she will not eat it. This is a huge difference from when she first arrived, in time she will settle down to be held. I am in no hurry to get her to be calm when held. I am rather pleased with her being so calm during feeding. She acts like a little princess when feeding time comes, which my friends find humorous.

It will settle down after a couple of months, hopefully sooner. When you take it out do not let it run around, when you go to pick it up, the ig probably thinks you are trying to catch it to eat. Constant holding and caressing 3 times a week will make all the difference in the world. Soon enough you will not believe that this little ig was such a scared little thing. I had another that would tail whip me constantly, after one month I had that little guy sitting calmly on it's back in my hand.

Take things slow, but be very consistant. Be very patient and understand it(it is scared). Caressing can do amazing things, massage it's lobes on its neck, those lobes are pressure points. Keep it warm, scratch it's little neck, move slowly when you have it out of its cage, sudden movements will startle it. Kind of sounds like the way women like to be treated

Old 12-19-2005, 08:40 AM   #13
HMFindlay
Argh!!!

My baby freaks a lot lately and he tries to run each time i take it outta the cage and put it on my shoulder and especially when i try to kiss him and talk to him lol he would TAIL WHIP ME! That hurts me lol Can someone explain to me like if its a good idea to kiss my baby cuz he freaks out so bad like a lunatic when i try to kiss him and talk to him closely and of course tail whip me lol

Old 12-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #14
Cat_72
It's not a good idea to be kissing a herp in the first place......but think about how YOU would feel if you saw a mouth that is much, much bigger than YOU coming toward you....you would think you were about to be dinner!!!

Just follow Michael's excellent advice....hold him in your arms and just "cuddle" and and gently, quietly stroke him. He's scared, you need to gain his trust. Eventually if you keep that up, he will learn to trust you.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:06 AM   #15
HMFindlay
Erm....

Today my ig sleeps more than usual.... from 12pm till now nearly 7pm.
Is it normal or is it too tired?
btw, my ig freaks sometimes and worst is it tries to run so...
is it a bad idea to place my cage somewhere and sometimes at the balconi where it sees the outside world and so it feels like it belongs there?
I put the cage at the balcony when theres sunshine or daytime. Someone help me pls

Old 01-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #16
Junkyard
Hey bro, igs do like to sleep, they are like cats somedays and that is all they do. How well is it eating? How warm are the temps in the cage? Putting it's cage outside is a good thing, if the weather is a bit cool, than you need to make sure it still has a warm spot in the cage if it is outside. Are you still holding it every day?

Old 01-04-2006, 03:56 AM   #17
HMFindlay
Well...
No wonder!
Yes i hold him everyday (hmmm i can almost say every minute!)
Since i live in Malaysia... the weather hmmm its ok for my Vitto (I named it Verdito but call it Vitto tho lol) its like 24 at night (The cage is in my house during night) and up to 30 in my house but the outside temperature can be as high as 35! (mind its in C not F )
I take Vitto for a walk once every two days or so and he behaves well outside but turns like a brat when we return home lol Damn hes so cute! I was wondering....
If you could find me a photo of the water bowl for it to drink? I put the water in a small round-shaped container but I think he never drinks it.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #18
Junkyard
Verdito, that is an awesome name. From what I am reading Vitto is calming down pretty well. That is awesome, keep up the good work.

As far as a water bowl, it should be big enough that Vitto can sit in and soak. Many igs like to use their water bowl as a toilet. For my ig I have a large litter box made for cats.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:07 AM   #19
HMFindlay
Is it ok to wake him up?

Old 01-11-2006, 05:16 AM   #20
HMFindlay
And also....

I notice that sometimes when my Vitto sleeps, his eyes look 'swell' (like getting huge) and that freaks me out so i have to wake him up! Is that phenomena normal?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!