Torn about keeping venomous.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
Skanakis
Torn about keeping venomous....

I am so torn about getting a venomous snake. Strictly for show only i would want one. But i always said to myself i will not move over to venomous no matter if its a Vine snake or whatever. But im looking at some of these Cobras and they would be an AMAZING addition. And some of these other beauties. Rhinoceros Viper is BEAUTIFUL. Even some of these morph rattlesnakes are beautiful. A Gaboon is great. eh....i dont know....so torn about this. Not that i am planning on handling them all the time except to clean the enclosureand feed it and THATS it. I heard of venomoid snakes which is a great option but i dont see they have a huge selection of snakes that have been operated on and i hear they wont allow you to bring in your own snake. I dont know how true it is..eh...anyways....anyone jump in when you want.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
hhmoore
The process for getting a venomous license in FL takes some time....and requires that you have a certain amount of experience. First thing to do is get the application and figure out what it takes to get there.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
Skanakis
Yeah i know about the legalities for FL. Im just....torn about owning one.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
Lucille
It is often said that finding a mentor and getting some experience prior to ownership is a good idea. Plus it might give you more of an idea of the risks and responsibilities involved as you talk to your mentor.
There are many beautiful critters I could own but choose not to. I know that venomous are not for me.
It's good you are thinking it over, ownership is a commitment.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
hhmoore
My point was that the process might help you make your decision - one way or the other. Sometimes having a cobra turn around and climb up the hook is enough to make people reconsider....then again, it could totally sell you on them. Seeing/feeling the power of a baboon strike will fill you with awe (especially when they practically flip over backwards to nail something behind them)....no telling in advance whether it will result in a "gotta have one" or "ummmm, not for me, thanks" response.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
Cat_Eyed_Lady
When in doubt? dont! Also, you know that fangs Can grow back, right?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
hhmoore

Old 12-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
Pmsayi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Eyed_Lady View Post
When in doubt? dont! Also, you know that fangs Can grow back, right?
Venomoid is when the venom producing glands/ducts are surgically altered not the removal of the fangs. It is not always 100% effective much like a vasectomy is not always 100% effective. The fangs are in tact and venomous snakes always have a new set of fangs in development as they break off from time to time. I personally feel the procedure is inhumane (same concept as declawing a cat) and there have been studies done that indicate the procedure may have adverse affects on the snake.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
Pmsayi
Skanakis, A venomous snake is a lot of responsibility and extremely expensive if kept properly. Keeping such an animal may have many unintended consequences both legal and financial. If you have children then I would not recommend it at all. You are a long way away from being ready for such an animal. As others have stated first you need to find a mentor and garner experience working with venomous snakes. I would also recommend hitting the venomous thread and seeing if anybody has a copy of hots 101 by Allen Hunter (no longer in print) and reading that before you proceed. One last word of advice pertaining to venomous: There are no second chances, one mistake, a lapse in judgement, or becoming to comfortable with the snake can lead to envenomation. The effects of an envenomation can cause complications for you for the rest of your life.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
Cat_Eyed_Lady
sorry I said anything.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!