purchase issue need opinions please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
JHMills
purchase issue need opinions please

Okay. I have an issue with a recent purchase. No finger pointing at this time; no names will be mentioned in THIS thread so please do not ask. This is just to see what others think of the situation and see if I'm being unreasonable.

I purchased four animals as a group. I received the four animals. All have mites. One has several issues that were NOT disclosed including chewed off tail (from rat), kink, and some sort of scale issue (I'm thinking either scars from another rat or scale rot).

Mites, although annoying, can be taken care of. I'd still like to keep the other three snakes and return the one that has the kink. I bought these for breeders and even though I've been told that the one is a proven breeder, I won't breed a snake with a kink. The seller is now saying that since I bought all four as a group, he'll only refund them as a whole group.

My opinion:

Yes, I bought them as a group; however, I was under the impression I was getting four healthy, breedable snakes. How is it my fault that I wasn't told about the issues of the one?

Your thoughts?

Old 02-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
KY Reptiles
The seller should definitely be willing to work with you on this matter and should be happy this hasn't been brought to the BOI yet. Personally if it were me and I received snakes in that condition I would want a FULL refund, including shipping costs to and from. But since you want to keep 3 of the snakes, I personally feel the seller should refund an agreed portion of the amount you paid AND pay for a vet visit!!

See this is exactly why I feel all snakes should be required a vet visit before being shipped out. Its that way with dogs, cats and other mammals. Why not snakes and other reptiles?? If that was something that was required I wouldn't complain about it at all. Just makes a happier customer, knowing they are getting a 1000% healthy snake and not taking someones word for it (whether they are reputable or not, things happen and I've seen reputable ppl make mistakes too) and hoping they are being truthful. Like the issues in this thread.

I hope you get this resolved with ease. Keep us updated!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
MrBig
To be honest I wouldn't keep any of them, that's just me though. I do feel it is your right to only return the misrepresented animal, if you choose to. You are nicer then me, I'm a reasonable person but I would have posted on the boi immediately upon receiving those sick misrepresented animals. Good luck solving this, and I urge you to reconsider posting this onto the boi. I for one would love to know who you bought from, enabling me and others to avoid the same situation you are in. Even if you choose to make it an informational thread instead of a bad guy, but people deserve to know.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
pythonpaintjobs
I'm with Big on this one. I would get a full refund and chalk it up as a lesson learned. I wouldn't let them have any of my money. There's too many breeders out there that produce healthy amazing animals. Chris

Old 02-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Bob O'Brien

Old 02-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
morph evolution

send them back!!!thats just ridiculous.im with all of the above...also you have to think of infections from mites and bites from rodents.even if you are thinking of keeping them you are talking poss vet bill and quarantine for a real long time.i am thinking boi and dropping by the better business bureau on this person.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
RobNJ
I'd send them all back as well.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
KY Reptiles
I don't think I made myself too clear after re reading my post. I'd send them all back and that's my advice to you. But I was also trying to give advice on what you should do if you do choose to hold onto the three that you wanna keep. I do feel as well as the others mentioned a boi post is warranted. I can see you not wanting to stir up trouble but this person is the one that started it all. We can only give you advice. What you choose to do is your choice. I say send them all back, get your full refund and ALL shipping costs returned. But if you do decide to keep some. The seller needs to pay for a vet visit, IMO

Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
hhmoore
The seller is not necessarily bound by the wishes of the buyer when it comes to dispute resolution. You expressed your displeasure, and the seller offered you a full refund. You might want to keep 3 of the 4...and I can certainly understand that position...but I think the seller's offer (at least as represented in your post) was quite reasonable.
If you really want to keep them, you MIGHT have better luck trying for a partial refund on the 4th (with you keeping it). That way, the seller isn't stuck with spending more money to get back an animal that may well be unsellable. If he goes for it, you can always give that one away...or put it down, if you feel that is the more appropriate option.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
MrBig
Very well articulated Harald, I worded it wrong when I said he had the RIGHT, I should have said he would have that right if he purchased from someone reasonable. The point of a partial refund is a valid one, given shipping cost and the fact that he won't be able to sell it again without misrepresenting it again. I do reiterate that I feel a BOI is more then appropriate for this situation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!