Any green thumbers out there? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #31
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_dunlavy View Post
what goes in must come out... and it will be just as hot.
Holy crap, I needed that! I have been accused of having the sense of humor of a teenage boy, oh well. I just laughed my butt off. Sure feels good to laugh too!

Disgusting and hilarious all at the same time! Thanks Jon!

Old 09-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #32
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
Haven't watered any of my berries in a year because of the drought. They look extremely sad. Hopefully some survive.
Most berries will recover, especially blackberries and the sort.
I water some of my plants with the water I thawed rats in so It does not get wasted.
The nice thing about succulents is the water use is minimal, but I do have some (potted) Brugmansia sp and African Queen impatiens that take a lot more. I try to water them as little as possible but a few cost a good bit of money to get and time to grow so They will not go dry if I can help it.
You have some really nice plants going Dennis. I love it when succulents get big, especially jade plants.

I'm a sucker for anything that grows.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #33
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
You are lucky to be in a State where you actually get things like this grow. Half of what you have listed in your posts I have never heard of.
Palram makes some reasonably affordable hobby greenhouses. Worth looking into if cold is a big factor.
I keep my tortoises in one when I can't let them roam the yard.

Check out Ebay if you want to find some unusual cacti/succulents. I got some there and some from cacti/succulent shows.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #34
Dennis Hultman
Yeah, I have rows of chest high jade plants that surrounds my chickens.

Just a couple more off my phone.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #35
Dennis Hultman
Persimmons on the left, tangerines on the right and the big trees at the top are my loquats.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #36
Robert Walker
Okay, super jealous of everything everyone is growing. Nothing too exotic here, but my kids and I did all the landscaping and planting, so we have some pride in it. No drought over here, but trade off with the frozen winters.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #37
Lucille
Robert your garden is gorgeous and I love your hostas!!

Old 09-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #38
WebSlave
Quote:
I also have lots of mint. I like the chocolate mint. Working on some fern starts again but they really dislike me.

Lots of passion fruit, apples, oranges, tangerines, avocado trees, chayotes, persimmons, and pomegranates.

Edit-

Apricots, Myers lemons, one lime tree and peach tree.

Edit again..

Loquats can't forget the Loquats
What kind of tangerines are you growing?

Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #39
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
What kind of tangerines are you growing?
Seedless ones I have pixies, clementines, a Algerian Mandarian (Fremont), and a hybrid Clemetine/Algerian.
Technically mandarins.

Seed-in, I have the Darcy tangerines. Boy, do they produce a lot. I was going to do the Honey tangerine, but I think the Darcy produces more here. I also ate them as a kid.

I think most choose to put in the clementines or satsuma around here.
Except in Oaji which is the land of Pixies.

The seeds don't bother me at all. Heck, half the time I notice none.

I planted to have some come in a different times but it doesn't seem to matter to much here. The Harvest times here are inaccurate. I can eat off one of the trees almost all year.
__________________________________________________ _____

Extremely beautiful, Robert. Oh, that's what green looks like..

Old 09-20-2014, 12:17 AM   #40
WebSlave
Quote:
Seedless ones I have pixies, clementines, a Algerian Mandarian (Fremont), and a hybrid Clemetine/Algerian.
Technically mandarins.

Seed-in, I have the Darcy tangerines. Boy, do they produce a lot. I was going to do the Honey tangerine, but I think the Darcy produces more here. I also ate them as a kid.

I think most choose to put in the clementines or satsuma around here.
Except in Oaji which is the land of Pixies.

The seeds don't bother me at all. Heck, half the time I notice none.

I planted to have some come in a different times but it doesn't seem to matter to much here. The Harvest times here are inaccurate. I can eat off one of the trees almost all year.

Never heard of a "Darcy". We have a "Dancy", though. Actually this is a weird tree. We bought it and a Pumelo grapefruit a long while back and just stuck the pots between two buildings and pretty much forgot about them. They are still there, with the pots ringing the trunks. Never bother watering or feeding them. The pumelo has never produced fruit, but the Dancy produces every year. Strange thing about the Dancy is that the first several years it produced beautiful looking tangerines, but oh man were they BITTER! A couple of years ago we were talking about cutting it down and digging out the stump to put in a better tasting tangerine, and I guess it heard us. The fruits became 100% better the following year and have been that way ever since. We sure didn't do anything to change it.

We have a bunch of Changsha tangerines (which up till a few minutes ago I thought were called "Changshi") that do really well here. We have a bunch of them growing from seed, and this variety grows true from seed. Most of the plants just started from seeds we spit out while walking around the property eating the tangerines. Connie has a whole pile of them in pots now out behind the garage. They seem to take a LONG time to bear fruit when grown from seed, though.

Also some Satsumas, but most are rather small still.

Our absolute favorite tangerine is the Ponkan. Best tasting, by far of any of the varieties we have tried.

Connie likes lemons so she has a couple Meyer's and Ponderosas. She's also propagating quite a few of them from seed now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!