My friends BP needs HELP!?! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
jendee
My friends BP needs HELP!?!

Hi Im jendee, I own all boas and am a member here, My friend has some questions about ball pythons and glass tanks. I dont have either so dont know what to really tell her.
Ok so my friends baby ball python is having some issues, she got her back in september. She first noticed a little rub on the top of her head, I gave her some neosporin. She is in a glass tank, Ive told her a tub would be better but she wants to try to keep her in her aquarium. She just recently shed and didnt fully shed. Does anybody have their snakes in glass, if so how do you bump up the humidity? And any extra tips or tricks for helping her heal and get that last bit of skin off? Please me helpful and not mean guys, this is her first snake!! thanks for the help!!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Andrews Arboreals
just spray with water, soaking her for a bit would help too. nothin wrong with a glass tank tho for just a few snakes.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
egw006
Soak in a tupperware / sterlite bin with luke warm water for 20-30 minutes to loosen up the old shed. The water should just come up to about half the side of the snake. Do this a couple of times with a day or two in between couple of days and the shed should loosen up and come off.

To keep the humidity up in the tank, you're going to have to mist the tank often. You can also cover a portion of the top of the tank with a towel / plexi to help keep the heat and humidity in. Tanks are difficult to keep up the humidity. Better to switch to tubs.

Good luck!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
bradleymoore
soak in a rubbermaid/sterilite tub of about 1/2" of warm water for 45 minutes. make sure there's a few small holes in it of course. if it's a stuck shed... that should clear it up and get rid of it within the next few days.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
Melinda
I have a few in Visionariums and a few in tanks. I'd keep up with the Neosporin. A large water bowl to soak in would help with shed issues. As for the stuck shed, I'd put this girl in a damp towel in a warm enclosure for a few hours. This may loosen the shed so you can peel it off. She may get it off herself by nosing around in the towel. Be careful of the injured area though, Perhaps peel up to that area and Neosporin it. I wouldn't want to pull the scab off if it isn't ready to come off.

You can drape a towel over the top of the aquarium to hold in humidity. I also use sheets of plexiglass to hold in humidity in my frog tank.

Don't let it get too humid though, too much humidity allows too much bacteria and I believe causes a higher risk of RI.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
Diego Velarde
I agree with the above comments. Also IMO the best substrate for higher humidity is cypress mulch. That will help a little and it's very easy to tell when it dries up. Another thing is to make a humid hide inside the tank. A small plastic container with only one hole big enough for the snake to go in and out of it. Fill it with moss or damp paper towels that way the snake can go inside whenever it needs higher humidity.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
jendee
ok a few more questions for her

what is considered misting, spraying the side of the tank or actually sparying the bp/substrate?

and should the basking light be on the same side as the flexxwatt underbelly heat?

Old 03-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
jallenfl
organic Vit. E oil

Use a few drops organic vitamin E oil in warm water this will help much more than just the warm water. Remember just a drop or 2. To much can do harm if the ball soaks up to much causing tender skin. This should also only be done where in this case it is needed. Just monitor the soak and insure everything is okay.

Peace, J

Old 03-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
gsrept
another good idea is to create a humidity chamber out of a tupperwhare container and spagnum moss. put hole big enough in one end for snake to come and go as he pleases put wet spagnum inside set over heat pad. my balls love it i only tried it cause i use to use it for my brazilian rainbow boas works great you just have to rewet moss every couple of weeks. good luck

Old 03-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
gsrept
another side note get rid of wood chips and use cypress mulch

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!