No rules or ruthless enforcement of the rules? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

View Poll Results: No rules, or strictly enforced rules?
To heck with the rules, I just want to be entertained here. 16 5.32%
Strictly enforce the rules! Without them, the BOI is worthless. 285 94.68%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
WebSlave
No rules or ruthless enforcement of the rules?

OK, this is getting old. People seem to just not have the time or ability to read the rules here. The warning system makes things easier, but even that is wearing thin as just about every warning I send to someone generates an email whining about it to me.

So here are the choices:

(1) No rules will be in effect here. Basically you can all do what the heck you want and I don't care either way.

or

(2) I enforce the rules ruthlessly, just by deleting the offending messages or entire threads that are in violation of the rules, and ignore any emails I get whining about it or asking for an explanation.

You all choose what you want this to be.

Old 02-01-2004, 07:02 PM   #2
jim0602
the way the rules and warning system are handled now is a complete failure.i for 1 feel like there needs to be a major over haul in many areas and the way to start fixing the problem is through ruthless enforcement.

jim burns

j&w exotics

Old 02-01-2004, 07:37 PM   #3
dwedeking
I'd just ignore the whining emails you get now. I believe through the conversations I've had with you and your posts concerning this site that it is not a large (if any) money generating venture. Your giving something of value for free, make it as easy on you as possible

There seems to be a pretty good self-policing (people point out violations etc) and from my view point the only real major violations are off topic posts (your going to get this with an online forum no matter what you do). Your warning system is to nudge people back in the right direction. If someone gets overly upset about being nudged for not following a rule, is there anything you could do to make them happy? I doubt it.

If you did away with the rules all together then there is a very good chance that the board would spiral away to uselessness. I used to follow the boards on www.inc.com (a business oriented site). They had very little monitoring and a few people spamming the boards over and over again for MLM schemes and get rich quick schemes made it useless for sharing ideas or gathering information. Of course this is what the whiners would like as then it validates their whining.

Old 02-01-2004, 07:47 PM   #4
herpcondo
I think the BOI is an invaluable TOOL!

My thought are very strong, The BOI is an invaluable tool! It is the ONE thing i always consult before i do business with anyone in the herp world. In the Virtual world, where you send someone hundreds or thousands of you hard earned dollars, never meet them, and sometimes never even speak to them on the phone,,, The BOI sure makes me sleep better at night. There is no worse feeling than finally "knowing" you have been scammed. How many people has the BOI saved from that horrible feeling? I know for me it has saved me more than a few dollars probably thousands. There are others out there that copy this format, but none, that are as extensive as the BOI. I derive a lot of enjoyment from the BOI and the whole site, as i am sure many do,, But the main reason i come back day after day, is to "praise" the best in the business,, and learn who not to do business with.
The only ones who complain about the rules are those that think the rules don't apply to them,,, Every group, troop, congregation, or club has rules to follow why should this be any different,,,
I for one take my hat off to Rich as he is "charting" the waters as he works with this site to make it better as it goes on,,, And i for one would hate to know how many hours Rich has put into this site... ( i am sure it is countless)... I feel like the paying system to get back in once you have been warned, and finally removed is a stroke of genius,, as the "fools" remove themselves,, and if they come back it hits them where it hurts,, in the old pocket,,,! Plus it helps to pay for the site for those of us who play by the rules...
I want to thank Rich for what he has done, As in my eyes he has developed one of the best herp sites in the world,, and i am very proud to be part of it!

Old 02-01-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
Brian Oakley
I feel that it is your site. You are the one that pays for us to have this valuable tool.
Yes, I have had hickups and had two (2) warning points against me. With that said, I really go try to follow the rules as I respect teh rules put forth here for me to utilize this site.
Mylast waring point was a complete failure to remember what I was doing wrong before I did so and it was 100% my fault.
Including myself, if someone does not like the rules, they can leave......plain and simple.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:28 PM   #6
W.Wedeking
I always thought there was a $5 fine for whining?

Seriously, the rules are posted for everyone to see and when you sign up, you agree to abide by those rules. It isn't your fault they either don't read or choose to ignore the rules.

Also, we have been gaining quite a few new members and growing pains do happen. I think most new subscribers just figure it is like every other board they post on.

I really wouldn't let it get to you. After all, the $10 fine thing seems to be working very well.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:48 PM   #7
ReticEd
Inmates should never run the asylum

Old 02-01-2004, 10:07 PM   #8
Copperheadman
Well said Eddie.

Old 02-01-2004, 10:12 PM   #9
WebSlave
Quote:
Inmates should never run the asylum
Should I step down voluntarily, then?

Old 02-01-2004, 10:20 PM   #10
dvf1973
i like it the way it is

even with my 7 points(can we ammend that) lol, i would just ignore the whining, although its rather difficult to completley insult someone without using inflametory, and or derogatory statements.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!