My adopted German Giant, ohh yeah and Rascals! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Cffilc
Talking My adopted German Giant, ohh yeah and Rascals!

The other day was looking for jobs, wanted signs and such. Saw, "Pet Depot", never been or heard of it so I figured I'd stop in to see what this place was about.

Skip to *** IF YOU DONT WANT ANY STORY

So I walk into the pet shop it's very nice. It's a medium/large sized shop with the general supplies for dogs,cats,ect. Some tanks here and there to buy, rabbits, they were watching someones leopard geckos as they were on vacation. Very nice place I guess? I don't like big pet stores because well I think we all know why...

Anyway, I start talking to the one person who was working at the time. This nice kid, lets call him Tom, just for his sake, no need to use his real name. So Tom and I start talking about what animals we both own. I tell him 3 Dragons, 1 Leopard, 1 Pacman and 6000+ Roaches. Tom has 2 Bearded dragons of his own, but hasn't been able to care for them like he wants too. I walk away to go look at the other animals in the store, as my brother continues to talk to him. My brother comes over a little after they're done, saying he's looking to give up his dragons and enclosure. I don't know if we have the room, or time for them I tell him. If they were something special I'd make the thought but as of now I'm kinda unsure.

So I look around the store, and see this hamster, so cute, fuzzy, fluffy, active, not boring like every other one I saw. He has character, I know he's just a hamster but this guy is packed full of greatness and is a wonderful pet!

I left with -$71, after buying my girlfriend a hamster and accessories (food/bedding really, enough for months). He had a scar of his head, from the terrible metal wheel they use for all the hamsters. I had to get him to save him from any other injury, he's now named rascals, cutest furriest little thing who just runs around in his tank all day. We all love him and he'll have a great home with us . I've never been happier from a pet or anything I've bought, this little fur ball of joy! He's not even skittish, he just doesn't like to be picked up yet. But slowly were working on allowing him to feel comfortable with us and I know in a few weeks he'll be a very calm and playful little dude.

And below starts my story of my new bearded dragons.

***German Giant adoption starts here***

Kid who works there tells me that he has two dragons, AND is looking to get rid of them for FREE. This caught my attention, if hes willing to give up dragons, and enclosure with lights, and everything he is or can't take care of them anymore and he's in a rush to get rid of them. This hurts me inside because I know they're most likely suffering. He's a good kid, but obviously has been unable to take care of them for XX amount of time.

He tells me I can have them BOTH, for free, he'll drop them off to his work, which I live 5 minutes away from. HE tells me ONE is a German GIANT! I thought to my self holyyyyyyy ####. A real German giant? Does this dragon have the future of my core starting breeder in 1-2 years?!

The smaller dragon who will be taken care of just as well, or given up for adoption in a few months to a GOOD home. (I will need full proof of ability to take care of him). I feel he might even be a Rankin's dragon, I don't know why? But I saw one once and he reminds me of him, with his color and eyes and tongue.

This smaller dragon seems healthier, hes got some fat on him but needs to be fed more.

But as for the GG, *he* was/is very skinny/lanky. It really upset me when I saw him, but I didn't let this show because I know I will give them the home and care they deserve and need.

After 35+ Male dubias, *he* was done eating, in a few hours I'm going to feed them again and see if either of them want anything to eat. After this post I'm going to go make them a nice salad with lots of vegetables.

I'm going to go buy some wax worms for them, possibly supers, I've never fed pinky mice.. but this has been a consideration due to his lack of weight. You can really see his bones and it's very upsetting.

I'm going to keep this updated for my own sake, and others if they are interested.

I wish I had a scale to weight him but pictures will have to do justice. I'm going to keep tract of what they both eat just to see how they are doing. If the Giant keeps up this eating habit I don't know what the heck I'll do ! 35 ROACHES in on sitting! I Mean CMON!!!

I'm so happy he ate that much because he needed it! I'm so glad I bought 600 male dubias from my good buddy Camel413 Aka Quentin Aka Q, TLDR - my shipment was DoA, Q sent me a package next week without any question, one of the best. Great service, prices, ect. Will do business with him until my colony is where I want it to be. Even then I'll still be buying some from him to keep fresher gene's/feeders if need.

I can't express enough how happy I am I got these dragons because they needed someone to care for them, and I'm really excited to have them.

Time to make them a salad and give them a nice soak later. I have not clue what I'll bath the GG in, don't want to use the Tub because I'll have to clean it prior .

One last thing. I'm not looking to have a discussion on if this is a German giant or not. In my eye's he is, but I feel some breeder might consider true GG's at 24"? I thought I read this somewhere. But he's about 22"+, I'll have to get a good measurement on him in a few days when he gets some weight on him.

Any questions or comments please ask or say.

Thanks for reading.

- Cliff

Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
angie.h
That's nice that these dragons got a good home, and they will be well fed for now. It would be interesting to see some pictures. I just wanted to caution about power feeding a very thin animal....sometimes they gorge and then vomit, so it might be best to give 6-7 feeders at a time 2-3 times a day to be sure that doesn't happen [ plus it may be hard on his organs to have all that protein at once] and offer all the greens like mustard, turnip, collard, dandelion that he will eat. Hopefully he'll catch up to where he should be. As for being a G.G., many people label a larger dragon as a G.G, but it really can't be proven / disproven, and you will find many opinions on this. If the dragon were 24 + , you could probably assume somewhere that the genes are there, but no telling really.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Cffilc
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
That's nice that these dragons got a good home, and they will be well fed for now. It would be interesting to see some pictures. I just wanted to caution about power feeding a very thin animal....sometimes they gorge and then vomit, so it might be best to give 6-7 feeders at a time 2-3 times a day to be sure that doesn't happen [ plus it may be hard on his organs to have all that protein at once] and offer all the greens like mustard, turnip, collard, dandelion that he will eat. Hopefully he'll catch up to where he should be. As for being a G.G., many people label a larger dragon as a G.G, but it really can't be proven / disproven, and you will find many opinions on this. If the dragon were 24 + , you could probably assume somewhere that the genes are there, but no telling really.

Thanks for the comments Angie. I just knew he was hungry, and I'll hold off feeding him anymore today and will feed him 5 roaches, a few times a day tomorrow.

I guess Ill fess up and say what he told me which was what allowed me to decided to SAVE there dragons. They were fed every TWO months 40-60 Large crickets each. I wanted to cry in the store, and punch the kid in the face for his lack of knowledge and care for these dragons!!!

I knew how starved this dragon was, especially for his/her size, they've been living off what ever fat they had, which was NONE! I clearly can see all his bones and such, I'm honestly a little scared! I hope he recovers because I feel he has been on the DEATH bed for a while ! I just feel so bad, and figured he would eat till he has been satisfied!

As you can see he's clearly starved, his head is indented! his tail is thin, you can see his spine. I wear a 11? or 12,, lol don't even know . He's 22" or just a nudge more.

I understand the whole "German Giant" thing. No matter what, he will be a very large and plump dragon in a few weeks.

Would feeding him a fed pinkies do him harm? I know people use pinkies to fatten up female before/after? breeding them.

Thank you so much Angie for the feed back!
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Cffilc
Something I want to add, I understand now that power feeding can be bad. I guess at the time the only thing on my mind was feeding this poor dragon. I feel he didn't fully gorge himself. He took great time in between each roach. He would chew it for a while (CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH!! I love it), then swallow, then I'd hold another one, he would grab it within 15 seconds, then take 15seconds to a minute for another. So I fed him for a good 30 minutes just due to his slowness. I've fed one dragon too many crickets before she ate them way to fast, and threw them up shortly after. But it's been over a hour since he ate and I feel he's doing ok. Soaking under the lamp at the moment, he/she is such a sweat heart! I love them, I can't wait till they are fully recovered!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
angie.h
He doesn't look too bad for the care he was given....at least he has some muscle tone to his legs and tail, and he's holding himself upright. Not too bad at all so he'll probably do just fine as lomg as he's not loaded with parasites. No visible sign of MBD, so that's a plus....some neglected dragons have that along with their semi starved look. But I think he should plump right up for you [ hopefully ] Oh, and the hamster story is cute, too. We had hamsters growing up, they remind me of tiny bears....so funny to watch them stuff their cheeks and get a power workout on the exercise wheel.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Cffilc
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
He doesn't look too bad for the care he was given....at least he has some muscle tone to his legs and tail, and he's holding himself upright. Not too bad at all so he'll probably do just fine as lomg as he's not loaded with parasites. No visible sign of MBD, so that's a plus....some neglected dragons have that along with their semi starved look. But I think he should plump right up for you [ hopefully ] Oh, and the hamster story is cute, too. We had hamsters growing up, they remind me of tiny bears....so funny to watch them stuff their cheeks and get a power workout on the exercise wheel.
So that's why the little dude has all the energy in the world... I really haven't watched him eat! I noticed he has eaten "a lot" or what I think would be? He's such a cutie!, this little fluff ball with huge... Haha I love him .

Well I'm glad you feel he will make full recovery, but the kid did say he they were "healthy" just skinny... At times I doubt my ability to take care of my dragons just out of wanting them to always be happy, and well this has just showed me I'm doing something correct .

I'm going to feed him less tomorrow, 3-4 times. He's the largest dragon I've seen. His head is so huge, I can't wait till it fills out a little because you can see the loss of fat/muscle? what ever it would be? That's really what upset me, it's like I look at my dragons full heads, and I look at his, indented almost looks like a heart. If it's a female maybe I'll name her Heart or Love, kinda cheesy... But if it's a she, she's such a sweet heart.

Once again thanks for the comments Angie .

Old 08-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #7
Cffilc
Dragons doing good, I'm pretty sure it's a she. I'll get pictures of her underbelly so someone can help me sex her. Also picture of her back to see if anyone can see a problem.

I'm somewhat worried, about her spine... I feel it's messed up? Not in a way that she's unable to live or do anything. But I feel it's not just starvation. It's almost bent, like not perfectly straight, curved a little?

I thought it was just lack of weight but when giving her a soak, I noticed that she would have her head lowered in the water, obviously I lifted it up and held it. It's weird how her head was tilted... I feel her spine has some problem too it.. lack of calcium? I don't know really, I just feel its not normal.. more than just weight issue .

Old 08-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
Snake-Queen
Clifford,
It might be that s/he is a little weak. I would not worry too much. Can s/he walk properly?

How is the other one doing? Do you know if it is a male of female?

I have fed a small pinkie to my breeding females before. One was overly thin when I got her and already gravid, so I was trying to keep some weight on her.

You will hear mixed opinions on feeding pinkies to BDs. Instead of pinks, try some superworms and if you can get them, butterworms.

As for sexing your BDs, check out this article: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

Please let me know about the other dragon.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:30 AM   #9
Cffilc
The kid told me that the GG is female. I don't know how long he had them? But by there actions I believe they are females.. I haven't tried sexing, but I will.

Male has two bulges? and female has one in the middle? That's what it looks like too me..

I'll get pictures for the smaller one, just to show him/her off also. Was very dark first two days, but has lighten up a little. I think it is a rankins dragon. It looks different, for some reason.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
Snake-Queen
I maybe able to tell, if you take some close-ups of head and body.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!