The Death Penalty - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Lonely Hearts Club Forum

Notices

Lonely Hearts Club Forum Looking for someone with a common interest? Why not go where they hang out? Have fun, but not TOO much fun in here. ONLY members over 18 are welcome here.

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the death penalty?
Not under any circumstances 7 12.96%
Only when the victim is a child 0 0%
It is for the jury to decide 2 3.70%
Only in outstandingly cruel or horrible crimes 4 7.41%
exes, honey, fire ants 2 3.70%
If they hurt me or my family, they'd never get as far as the courtroom. 4 7.41%
Each case is different 0 0%
exes, elevators, cobras 0 0%
It's God's responsibility to judge 'em, it's our responsibility to arrange the meeting 5 9.26%
Fry 'em 30 55.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2004, 08:13 PM   #31
llechler
You are entitled to your opinion as well. That's what's great about America. You say that:

Quote:
I frankly work hard and do not want to support someone for life.
So even though it costs LESS to keep someone in prison for life you would rather pay MORE to see them fry? Interesting....

Old 09-10-2004, 08:40 PM   #32
Lucille
Depending on various factors like health problems it can cost a lot to keep them for life.
I just hope that you never have to reconsider your opinion because of personal experience; I wish the best for you.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:01 PM   #33
llechler
Yes, but if you look at the previous posts in this thread you have to admit it costs MUCH MUCH more to execute someone than to keep someone in prision for life.

Your response almost makes it sound like you pity me for having his viewpoint or something. No matter what happens to myself or my loved ones I will never change my view on this topic. Every life is precious, no matter who that person is or what that person chooses to do. It is not our say to take their lives away. It is not our place to cause suffering.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:07 PM   #34
Lucille
Well we have to agree to diagree on this one, obviously neither of us is going to change opinions.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:19 PM   #35
bcfos
Quote:
Originally posted by llechler
Actually, I do believe morals have a place in this discussion. I think it is morally wrong to kill someone, no matter who that person is or what they have done. One life is not more important than another. And we should not be condoning and encouraging death. The saying is an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind, meaning to kill someone because they have killed someone is not the way to end killing. It just perpetuates it. And, I most definitely think that a life for a life is sick and wrong.

I have seen people feel this way then something like this happens in their family and they are the first ones screaming "Fry the Fu(ker". I wouldn't wish anyone to go through the loss of a loved on through murder, but sadly it happens every day. The death penalty is pretty much worthless now days because all the appeals process which takes years and years to do. In the old days you were found guilty at 10 am and hung at noon. Simple and effective, but god knows how many innocent people hung from the gallows in the old days. It is a catch 22 no matter how you look at it now days.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:25 PM   #36
llechler
So, if it's a catch 22....You wanna just leave it to chance that you kill an innocent person? And if you condone or kill an innocent person, in reality, you are no better than the murderer that you killed.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:31 PM   #37
Lucille
I was trying to say, in my post, perhaps it would be best to leave this thread fallow. Opinions are strong here, and few are likely to change theirs; Linda, you will not change either myself nor certainly my lil bro Brian who is a walking armory.
Let's agree to disagree.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:35 PM   #38
llechler
Just because I can't convince you doesn't mean I can't convince others. I would like to explore this topic further if it is okay with you, lucille, since you are the facilitator and all....

Old 09-10-2004, 09:43 PM   #39
Lucille
I describe myself as a facilitator because I genuinely like most people and try for communication; as long as this is civilized, if it makes you happy, I am happy; but I am just another poster like you; the ultimate fate of this thread is in the hands of the moderators and in my experience they are good at what they do, so go ahead.
I do hope, all debate aside, that your life is happy and that no murder or violent crime ever crosses your path. I have in the past worked in a jail, and I would just as soon everyone got along and never did anything evil; but I don't think the world is made that way.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:09 PM   #40
Ken Harbart
It's a harsh reality than some lives are indeed worth more than others. This is true both in matters of capital crimes as well as in cases of justifiable homicide (i.e., self-defense).

LWOP is simply just not a suitable punishment for many heinous crimes. A man who kidnaps, rapes, and brutally murders an eight year old girl does not deserve to live out a natural life at taxpayer expense.

A prisoner who is already sentenced to LWOP has nothing to fear. Should he murder a prison guard, so what? What are they going to do... give him another life sentence? That second life sentence was such a joke to him that he attempted to kill a second corrections officer.

How about the recent case here in FL, where a career criminal ordered the savage massacre of an entire household of people simply because they had his x-box? One of the victims was beaten so badly that dental records were of no use in identifying her body. After all six people were beaten to death, their bodies were mutilated after they were dead, and one of the female victims was sexually assaulted with a baseball bat.

Let's branch off with a tangent for just a moment, with a direct question for those who argue the death penalty is morally unacceptable on the grounds that killing is wrong....

If faced with an attacker who was intent on either killing or causing grievous bodily harm to you or an immediate family member, would it be morally wrong to use deadly force in defense of yourself or a loved one?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!