Venomoids? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2002, 03:46 PM   #2
Darin Chappell
I have no interest in having venomoids or venomous animals in my collection, but I am curious about a couple of things.

1.  Is it ethical to surgically alter animals for the sole purpose of being able to handle previously dangerous animals?  (Is this the same ethically as gelding a horse so as to make it more docile?)

2.  Are the alterations completely safe? (for the animals and its handlers)

3.  Is it ethical to sell breeding pairs of venomoids knowing full-well that those babies will come out hot?

Just some thoughts I had about this practice that I would like to throw out for everyone else's consideration.  I have no real opinions formed about any of this, but I am certainly inclined toward not forcing surgery on any animal to eliminate a characteristic that is inherent to the animal in question.  It would be, I think, a bit like removing the eyes of an eagle to keep it from flying away.

I'd appreciate any other thoughts --