Cooling period = longer life? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-24-2004, 11:29 AM   #1
Xelda
Cooling period = longer life?

Is it possible that cooling periods would actually extend the longevity of leos (or maybe reptiles in general)? Does it make sense that slowing their metabolism during the winter months would slow their aging?

Old 08-24-2004, 07:49 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
hmmm...

Olivia, I just LOVE the way you think and the thought provoking questions you ask!!! I only wish I knew the answer to this one.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
LCReptiles
I'm pretty sure that when the mean ole gecko lady loves you trouble is sure to follow!

Old 08-24-2004, 09:27 PM   #4
AaronFromPA
well I suppose no one would have a solid answer to that unless they run a 20+ year long test.

In theory though a cool down period would cause less stress on the geckos vital organs during the cooldown. This would effectivly reduce wear and tear so to speak.

I would think also that it is an instict for the geckos to have a cool down SO it may slightly stress the geckos not to have one...kinda like me going to a day shift recently after working nights for 4 years...I am pretty sure it has taken a good 5 years off my life

Anyway I think there is a chance that this would extend the life of a gecko...of course I am no where close to a doctor vet or herptocologist so what do I know

Old 08-24-2004, 09:43 PM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
lol!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that when the mean ole gecko lady loves you trouble is sure to follow!
Shhhh!!! You don't want us to get in trouble for being too 'exclusively friendly' and posting OT!

Anyway... it makes sense that the closest to a natural environment we keep our geckos, the longer they would live. I have a couple that are over 10 years old, and I have never 'cooled' mine. They just seem to cool themselves!

Old 08-24-2004, 10:35 PM   #6
geckosurfer
Stop! GASP! an OT COMPLIMENT! POLICE! POLICE!

Marcia--how could you do that?!?!

Where is the Uber Thread Patrol when you need them to point out the errors of our ways???

Olivia---I concur with Marcia. What a great question. Aaron seems to have answered it and I tend to agree with his logic. Then you can throw in some variables of clutches laid, not laid, ability to breed, etc. It would be an interesting study.

I agree with Marcia on how cool they are, but Marcia, do you really not cool your geckos (incase the uber thread police were reading) down? We're looking at cooling our males only because so many have recommended it.

Maybe this belongs in its own thread. I get so confused.

--Julie

Old 08-25-2004, 10:42 AM   #7
USAGECKOS
Wow!

What an awesome question Olivia. It would be interesting to know for sure, but I would tend to agree with Aaron and Marcia that it would benefit them if cooled down each year. I cooled my geckos down my second year of breeding, but I didn't notice any difference in breeding that year compared to any other season, so I haven't cooled them since.

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2004, 10:51 AM   #8
riverjop
Olivia!...that is a thought provoking question!!!...........BUT I WILL HAVE TO REPORT THIS TO THE UBER PATROL!! You should have posted this in the "testing" forum as it would have to be tested to see if it works! BE AFRAID.......BE VERY AFRAID!!!

Old 08-25-2004, 11:14 AM   #9
USAGECKOS
OH MY GOD!

Run Olivia, Run and hide!!!!!

Old 08-25-2004, 11:43 PM   #10
AaronFromPA
Speaking of extending life it is time to move this thread up .

I am thinking that a non-cooling enviroment year round would not stress the gecko too much. Any animal can get use to a slight change in enviroment, probably easier than most of us figure. And leos are somewhat renoun for their stability anyway.

I think the major advantage to a cooling period would be in the slowing of matabolism and vitals. Organs are no different from any mechanical part, the more they are used the more wear and tear they suffer and the greater possibility for failure.

So in the long run a few months a year of low usage should in theory extend the strength of the vitals. Anyway all my other thoughts on this are jumbled lol. Anyone else have some?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!