Dunn's Pythons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
RCampbell
Dunn's Pythons

Hello gang.....
I am looking for persons with Dunn's Pythons. This species is in flux taxonomically and is by some still considered a subspecific allocation of (Liasis macklotti), the Macklott's Python.
Information on this insular species (Wetar Island, Indonesia) is tough to come by and I am looking for people who may have some of these little understood, poorly represented snakes. I am awareof some reserach ongoing out there and would appreciate any and all information any of you can provide.
Thank you for time!!!!

Riley Campbell

Old 08-22-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
hhmoore
I can't be much help, as I have not kept them...but have you contacted the Barkers? (Dave & Tracy Barker/VPI)

Old 08-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
RCampbell
I have, actually, already been in e-mail contact with Dave.
He is working on info for this species also and also wishes there was more information available. I have some good information from Terry Lilley, who I also obtained a specimen from. I have also found a Dr. Carmichael, who is avidly working with the Liasis and sister groups currently and I am attempting to contact Al baldego, as he has actually spent time on Wetar from my understanding, aswell as being a source of several of Dr. Carmichaels animals.
This has been a fun albeit frustrating search, and I will post some findings here for everyone when I have some good stuff to post.
I was hoping that there are some closet herpers out there with Dunn's Pythons. So this is a plea, to any and all keepers of this snake, any and all who have solid information on this snake, or those who had kept and have had them pass away out of a collection (especially if you still have it/them in a freezer!).I know there are many keepers out there who only keep for themselves, do not care who knows what they have and actually prefer the anonimity and lack of ego battling that occurs in today's world of herpetoculture. It is to you I am asking for help, if you have any of these beautiful pythons.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
RCampbell
This process is maddeningly slow, but what great endevour is ever had that does not take extraordinary amounts of time and energy?

For those of you unfamiliar with the 13,000 +/- islands, or the 128 +/- living languages that make up Indonesia, this thread is about the 19th largest of those islands (coming in at 1,400 square miles) Wetar Island. This is a volcanic Island of the Inner Banda Arc, which has precious metal rich deposits and subsequent mining industry. (for detailed mineral information: http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/20412/) It sits 35 miles north of and across the Wetar Strait from the coast of Timor in the Banda Sea. Wetar Island is 80 miles long east to west and 28 miles wide north to south. Surrounded by coral reefs and deep seas, its interior is composed of wild, rugged mountains covered with tropical rain forests that rise to 4,632 feet. The climate is hot and moist, and heavy anual rainfall occurs (the rainfall is monsoonal with a well defined summer maximum and mostly ranges from 700 to 1500 mm) Sparsely populated ( approximately 1200 people) the principal occupation is subsistence agriculture which produces mainly sago, and of course fishing is a mainstay. Roads connect the towns of Masapun and Ilwaki on the southern coast, Arwala on the eastern coast, and Lioppa, Laliki, and Wesiri on the northern coast.
Specifically this thread is about a specific snake found only on this island. The Dunn's Python, (Liasis macklotti dunni) Stull, 1932.
There has been captive reproduction of this snake in captivity, and at least one female that was originally imported was gravid and laid eggs which hatched. There are reports of successful captive reproduction in the UK, and personal communication with Dr. Carmicheal confirms reproductive success with this snake in the US.
Information is SCARCE, and documentation is almost non-existant. If you know anyone who has or has had a Dunn's Python PLEASE contact me through PM, posting, or e-mail.
Pictures will be coming soon as well as more information, as it is obtained....

Old 09-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
mfarley
Just by googling "Liasis macklotti dunni" I found a lot of other owners.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
RCampbell
It is easy to find animals posted in adds...but finding actual physical specimens is proving VERY difficult..and I want you to notice how many of the ones that pop up on the google engine are in europe. Hard to find here in the US. If you are able to actually find any physical specimens please feel free to contact me directly!!!

Thank you for your time!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!