What did I inherit?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #1
jessiemcmickle30
What did I inherit??

My dad recently passed away and had a salamander on a coffee can. My daughter wanted it, so we brought it home. It looks like a Spotted Salamander (my dad lived in central Kansas) but everything I have been reading says they are burrowers and need land as well as water. This salamander, if that is what it is, does not go onto the land portion of the aquarium. He, or she, stays underwater all time. It seems ok. Swims around, eats well. I am just not sure what it is based on behavior. Could someone give me some advice?
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
Brokbakman
Looks like a tiger salamander to me. Great first time salamander to have.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
snowgyre
Yep, tiger salamander for sure. They're very easy to keep and they make interesting pets.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
JColt
Sorry to hear about your father. You should make 3/4 of that land and cover hide with some peat moss. Tiger salamanders require a moist substrate — 4 to 5 inches of organic potting soil — and a bowl of water. And the bedding needs to be changed regularly. In wild they spend most of time under logs, leafs and dirt. Normally they don't spend a lot of time in water except during breeding season. Good luck, Adult Tiger salamanders live about 12 to 15 years.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #5
Herpin Man
I would also remove the light. Tigers can easily overheat.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
jessiemcmickle30
I have removed the light and made a semi aquatic setup, but he doesn't ever come out of the water. He spends all his/her time there.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #7
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiemcmickle30 View Post
I have removed the light and made a semi aquatic setup, but he doesn't ever come out of the water. He spends all his/her time there.
It may be too warm. In the winter, 55-65 is ideal, summers under 72F are best.

My wife has had one for about 20 years now -- neat little beast.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
indentify, salamander