Scott at Scottserpents; At least use a credit card if you deal with him... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:33 AM   #1
spinone98
Scott at Scottserpents; At least use a credit card if you deal with him...

Now that the dispute on my credit card is closed, I will write up my experience with Scott, Terry Scott, or Terry Sanchez, whatever his name is. On December 29th after a couple of phone calls, I purchased a .1 DH Hypo BCI for $280 (he wanted $270, but charged me $10 dollars more because I wanted to pay with a credit card) . Scott said he was going out of town, but would be back January 1st and would ship the snake January 2nd for a January 3rd arrival. I took the day off to make sure I was there when it arrived. It was a no show. I emailed and left a message on Scott’s cell phone, neither of which were returned. I waited on January 4th, no snake. I looked at the Board of Inquiry at that point and saw the negative postings. I continued to call and leave messages and emails, trying to work things out. On January 5th, no snake. I sent my 1st email that suggested he was trying to rip me off.

The night of January 5th, I sent Scott an email from another email address, inquiring about another snake he had for sale. SURPRISE, he responded right away.
The next morning, I emailed Scott from both email addresses that he was busted. I told him to ship the snake Monday, January 8th for a Tuesday January 9th arrival. If not, I would dispute the charge on my credit card. He responded and said he had a family emergency and the boa would ship as I had requested.

On January 9th, no snake. I had some stuff come up before work and didn’t have time to go to the bank to dispute the charge. I emailed Scott and gave him one more chance. He emailed me back and said he would have a tracking number within a few hours. Later that night, he sent it to me. I had no clue who he sent the shipment with as it wasn’t a Fedex, UPS, or DHL tracking number. It didn’t show as a USPS tracking number and it shouldn’t. It is a violation of the Lacey Act and illegal to ship snakes via USPS. Anyway, guess what, the next day, January 10th, no snake. This is laughable. Knowing I was not getting the boa, I went to the bank and disputed the charge.

The following day, I went out of town for the weekend. When I got home Monday, I checked the tracking number again, out of curiosity, on various carriers. Well, what do you know, good ole Scott shipped the snake USPS, with an attempted delivery on January 11th. I called the bank and talked to a lady there about what had happened. Through our discussion, it was decided to refuse shipment. If I took delivery, I knew the snake was dead or sick and would have no chance at recovering any money, even though my bank said I had nothing to worry about. I called my dad, a lawyer, and he concurred with the bank.

I felt guilty as I drove to the Post office. Maybe it was overnighted and the Post Office screwed up. It all ended when I got to the Post Office. In his further attempt to play games, Scott shipped the snake 2-3 day Priority. I refused the shipment.

On January 24th, Scott was apparently informed about the banks dispute as I got an email calling me a piece of sh*t and I was trying to scam him. If I was trying to scam him, wouldn’t I have the snake and the $$$? He also said I violated his terms and conditions, which I replied that he played games with me all along and violated his own terms as well as the Lacey Act. I also told him that his choices blew the deal.

On February 8th, I received another package from Scott. This one was just left at my door. Not expecting anything, I didn’t open the box. I questioned Scott’s sanity and decision making. I took the package to work and x-rayed it. I really couldn’t make anything out, maybe a faint image of a boa’s head. I took the package back to the Post Office and refused it once again. The next day, I called the Postal Inspector and filed a complaint.

Last week, I received a letter saying the case was closed and VISA agreed with me. I wish Scott had not played games with me. If he actually had that snake, I wanted it. I am starting a breeding group and that hypo would have been a nice part of it. In almost every email and phone call, I said I wanted to work things out. Scott apparently had other ideas. Too bad he conducts business the way he does. I am just glad I paid with a credit card. If anybody who reads this and ignores what happened to me and too many others tries to deal with Scott, be sure you pay with a credit card.

If anybody, including you Scott, want to challenge what I have put here, go ahead. I have copies of everything. Scott, if you want to threaten me like you have others, bring it on. You will lose….again.

I’m surprised Scott is allowed to do business here anymore. He has given the online reptile community too many black eyes already.

Mark W aka spinone98

Old 03-20-2007, 01:48 AM   #2
Cat_72
I don't think there is anyone that will dispute that Scott/Terry/Whatever his name is this week is a a scammer and scumbag. Have you seen all of the other threads here about him?

I'm sorry you had to find out about him the hard way, and that obviously the poor snake had to suffer as well. If anyone had any doubts about the fact that he doesn't give a flying about the animals he's peddling, the fact that he shipped it like that should remove any doubt.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:02 AM   #3
spinone98
I felt horrible for the animal, especially when I refused it. However, I wanted my money back and for all I knew the snake was dead.

I did get my money back in the end. I just know the importance of having the backing of a credit card, even if I have to pay a few bucks more. I do a lot of business on EBay and learned my lessons of avoiding being ripped off long ago.

Originally, I wasn't really in the mood to write about my incident. I got my money back, bought another hypo and moved on. However, after seeing Scott rip off yet another person, caused me to post this.

In other news, my .1 spotted python is sitting on a clutch, my .1 Argentine Rainbow Boa is gravid, as well as my .1 Mexican Rosy Boa. My Ebay feedback is 100% positive (276) and I will bring that integrity to the online reptile community.

MW

Old 03-20-2007, 02:05 AM   #4
Cat_72
You telling of your experience is appreciated, it's just one more nail in Terry/Scott/???'s coffin, so to speak.

And while using a CC is important, IMO it's much more important to research the person you are buying from BEFORE using that credit card....it can and does save you a lot of heartache and hassle in the end. If this post saves just one person from getting ripped off by him.....it's been helpful.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Dennis Hultman
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=98954
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=95585
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=82824

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!