Paypal Alternatives. Help please. Seller woes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
CatchemallSC
Paypal Alternatives. Help please. Seller woes

Hello.
Recently have sold some animals to fund a couple projects. I am a hobbyist and by no means a reptiles business. Have a personal paypal account as I am not a business nor do sale volume like that to warrant a business account. Recently sold some surplus to fund the purchase of a pair of snakes I've always wanted. So. Make sales. Accept paypal payments. I've taken price cuts to qualified homes,sent extra quantity for buyers birthday,eaten overages in estimated shipping,because I understand the struggle and AM the little guy myself. Lol
Anytime now a buyer pays for "goods" Paypal is holding my funds for TWENTY ONE DAYS. Mind you I am shipping overnight,with tracking provided through paypal site and directly to buyer. Some items have been recieved. Call paypal customer service which is another chore of its own but they fumbled and seemed to make up reasons as the conversation progressed. They asked me if it was an eBay transaction. Obviously no. She then told me twenty one days allotted for shipment,receipt and buyer to leave feedback. Ok. I repeat this is not an eBay transaction. I have now shipped animals,had buyer recieve. Provided tracking to paypal site and had immediately upon shipment. Why are my funds held? Am I not checking the magic button. I don't want buyers to be unprotected. I don't care about eating the fees. If I can sell my own stock and fund my future project without it eating my paycheck that's my intention. 21 days....how is that fair or realistic to a seller. Let me explain to my seller I can't pay you for 21 days. My animals are in others hands,my money is at the mercy of paypal. Where is my protection. I've asked buyers to pay friends and family and suddenly I'm a jerk? I really just want to be able to utilize funds from animals I wouldn't typically even be selling. What am I missing or doing wrong with paypal? What happy safe alternatives do you recommend for buyer and seller? I guarantee live arrival and satisfaction. Has anyone experienced this,and what did you do? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
bcr229
The 21 days is part of PayPal's TOS and you agree to it when you create an account with them. Most hobbyists use it because low-volume sellers without a business license find it difficult to get set up to accept credit cards.

You could ask for payment by USPS MO but sellers would have to trust you. Since I refuse to use PayPal that's how I pay - but I also research the heck out of sellers before even sending an inquiry about the critter up for sale so I don't get ripped off. Checks are another option but you would have to wait 10-14 business days for them to clear before shipping.

Alternatively there are services such as Chase QuickPay for sending money but there is no buyer protection so again, people would have to trust you.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
CatchemallSC
Why do you refuse to use their service if I may ask. Nonetheless 21 days... its a ridiculous policy to expect someone to be out their product and money. As a buyer I'm all for buyer protection but that is imo excessive

Old 04-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchemallSC View Post
Why do you refuse to use their service if I may ask.
I'm a gun dealer/manufacturer. Since they discriminate against my business I will not give them my money.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
CatchemallSC
Inderstood

Old 09-29-2017, 08:31 PM   #6
CricketChitin
I've never used it, but i've heard that *Square* is a good alternative to paypal.
https://squareup.com/

Old 10-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #7
blueboost68
I got ripped of for a 600 dollars do to good old PayPal and eBay.NEVER AGAIN,.,.,,.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:24 AM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchemallSC View Post
I've asked buyers to pay friends and family and suddenly I'm a jerk? I really just want to be able to utilize funds from animals I wouldn't typically even be selling. What am I missing or doing wrong with paypal?
Well, for one thing, you are depriving them of their livelihood and your buyers of their Paypal protection by a request to pay friends/family for a commercial transaction. I have a feeling that we are not seeing the whole picture. Is your account verified by them and backed by a credit/debit card? Most sellers do not have to wait to receive funds, when I have sold items the funds are immediately in my Paypal account and if I choose to send them on to my bank they are in my bank generally by the next day.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
GeckoPods
Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketChitin;2[LIST
[/list]032528]I've never used it, but i've heard that *Square* is a good alternative to paypal.
https://squareup.com/
I've used square, it's a good alternative but because it has less of a name in the trade, and the person would have to dispute with their credit card company, it has a bit less traction going for it.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:07 AM   #10
E.Shell
Raised from the dead...Payment suggestions.

I know this is an old thread, but I am looking for payment options and this thread comes close to hitting on what I wanted to know.

I plan to sell some baby ackies and I understand that paypal does not allow payment for live animals anymore. They are already personna non grata here for some of their other policies, but now they are completely out of the question.

I see references to using Zelle and other services.

I don't mind waiting for payment, such as waiting for a check to clear, but I don't want to ask buyers to wait, nor ask them to extend their trust to an unknown entity by sending checks/MOs without some sort of assurance/protection.

What is everyone using for electronic payment and how is it working?

Thank you,
Ed

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!