ISO Alpine Newts! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Amphibians

Notices

Old 01-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
Aquaticjade
ISO Alpine Newts!

Hello everyone! This is my first post on the forum, so I'm pretty excited! I'm a member on some aquarium forums, and I've been in the aquarium hobby for a few years. I've recently been looking into getting in the paludarium game, and what better inhabitant for a paludarium than newts?! I'm specifically looking for alpine newts, so if anyone has any or knows some breeders on here that do, that would be great! Also any basic care/info you can share on alpine newts I would love that as well! I've done a good bit of research thus far, but nothing beats good ol experience!
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #2
hobbyman
I have a pair of italian alpine newts, they are fully aquatic, the adults I have and the paladariums are the new cool things as fish tanks are slowly fading. Its either acrylic tanks now days with aqua scaping and vivarium and paladarium builds that seem to be the new cool thing. We got a local breeder here for newts. But its hard to find the odd and rare species , theres also a store called twin cities reptiles here in st paul MN, they have alpines here and there. Its really hit or miss with them and I do beleive they would ship aswell. Also, I bought a acrylic door to glue onto my 40 gallon breeder tank. If you want to buy conversion kits from '' I heart geckos'' they sell them at a reasonable price if you want to transform your tanks into paladariums. And if you check out serpa design on youtube he shows some DIY videos on making paladariums and conversion kits done cheaply.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
Aquaticjade
Thank you for the suggestion!! What size would you reccomend for a single pair?
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
hobbyman
As in size, you could do a 10gallon minimum, but atleast a 20 gallon long and the newtys love you long time. Im sure you know petco has the 1dollar a gallon sale yr round now days. There was a rule of thumb alot will say 5gallons per 1 single newt. But hey, if you can find a 30gallon long that would be awesome. You could set up like a 40% land ratio and a 60% water or other way around etc....I think that would be awesome, that way when they decide to make some babies you could let them grow into the enviroment. Imagine in the land dwelling part having substrate(coco fiber mixed with dirt or something) and live organisms in the mix like isopods(small versions) and spring tails. Long boys arent that easy to find, though Im waiting to buy a 30 gallon long for myself as my crested danubes are slowly making babies. Sorry sometimes I ramble on to much!!

Old 01-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #5
Aquaticjade
I actually have a rimless 12 gallon long aquamaxx aquarium that I keep tropical fish in! It's a gorgeous tank, 3 feet long but only about 10 inches high and 8 inches deep. I'm thinking of a pair in a rimless 10 gallon, but getting a 20 long from Petco is an extremely tempting idea! I was thinking a 3d background, 3/4 aquatic 1/4 terrestrial with a waterfall feature and some ferns and mini orchids.
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
hobbyman
You have alot of creativity!! reminds me of serpa designs channel, that would be completely awesome. My italian alpine newts are adults now, and they dont seem to require land anymore. But I wanna move them over to a bigger tank , hoping they are getting closer to maturity to make more. Dont forget pothos, super easy semi aquatic vine, even grows good underwater too. I collect lots of aquatic and pond plants. If you ever get a chance, check out daphnia cultures on ebay, easy to raise and all my newts love eating them. Today im getting a culture of grindal worms, another easy live food to raise.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
alpine newts, newt, newts