Jerk Turkey - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 12-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
Lucille
Jerk Turkey

In my area frozen turkeys are extremely cheap right now so I bought several extra smaller ones at Thanksgiving. This morning I cooked one (cut it in pieces and baked in a 15 inch square bake pan) coated with a thick layer of McCormick's Caribbean Jerk Seasoning and it just came out of the oven and it is delicious.
I plan to slice and freeze it, son is coming over Saturday so I will make black beans and rice and the turkey. My son is not one of those who believes kids should only eat bland food, so the grand baby gets served the same things everyone else gets and likes spicy food.

I do love the whole turkey/dressing/mashed potatoes/cranberry sauce deal but there is only so many times I want to eat that combination in a year. I think people are missing out if they don't at least try turkey fixed in other ways since it is so plentiful, inexpensive and delicious.

I don't know if it is posted here but I also make turkey chili in a slow cooker that is very good.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
citabria
sounds delicious

Old 12-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #3
Insomniac101
The turkey chili sounds good!

Most of the traditional Thanksgiving turkeys I've had through the years are dry, and not very flavorful. Maybe overcooked, but it's been the same at different people's houses, and a couple that I've cooked.

The chili sounds good, because of the more liquid base that gives the meat moisture and flavor. Although the black beans and rice sounds tasty too!

Kathy

Old 12-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
Lucille
A hint for moist and flavorful fowl: Don't be shy with the spices, put a thick layer on. Then, cover with parchment before putting on the foil. Cook at higher temps for shorter periods(unlike briskets, ribs, etc. which should be cooked low and slow). Realize that especially if you are cooking a whole bird, it continues to cook for a while after you take it out of the oven before it cools down, so factor in that time.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
Insomniac101
Thanks Lucille. I tend to be a little conservative with spices. I've had a lot of over-spiced foods, and to me, that ruins the meal. But turkey is really bland, so I need to do some research on spices that are flavorful, but won't scorch my uvula!

Kathy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!