Skin is weird on baby ball (not a shedding problem) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-18-2004, 07:15 PM   #1
Ballpythonboi
Skin is weird on baby ball (not a shedding problem)

Hey,
one of my baby ball pythons skin is really wrinkly and pale looking. Its like his skin is too big for his body. He also seems to be a little weak, but not really weak. If I wiggle him a little, his head sways around. I also noticed that his body is kind of bumpy, like his muscles arent growing right, but with all this he still eats great. My other babies are in perfect condition and dont have any of the problems he has. Does anyone know what this could be? Please tell me, Steve.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
Winter
It is hard to say what *might* be wrong with your baby without having seen it, but dehydration is the first thing that comes to mind with the pale wrinkled skin. Do you know if this animal has been drinking on a regular basis? Severe dehydration can also cause neurological symptoms from what I have seen in rescue cases and because the body is weakened, secondary infections may slide in as well.

With that said, I don't believe that anyone on the internet can diagnose your python and I would recommend that you take your baby to a qualified reptile vet to A) figure out what is wrong and 2) get something into this kid to stabilize it. The symptoms you describe don't sound like something to be ignored.

Good luck!

Lauren Rost

Old 02-19-2004, 12:47 PM   #3
lds2
I agree with Lauren. It sounds like dehydration but we are not vets. You should get your baby ball into a vet and have checked out.

Old 02-19-2004, 03:28 PM   #4
Ballpythonboi
His water bowl holds about 1 gallon (He is paired up with 2 other babies so i wanted to have a big enough bowl for them all to lay in at one time), and I see him in there from time to time. I soak him for about 45 minutes every other week in luke warm water, so I dont think dehydration is the reason, I was going through one of my REPTILE magazines when I think I found the problem. Zonata disease. In the magazine the guys Sinaloan milk snake had it, and cured it with Neosporin. I put a coat of it on him yesterday and he is already looking better. Thanks for your suggestions.
Steve

Old 02-19-2004, 09:06 PM   #5
NEWReptiles
Quote:
(He is paired up with 2 other babies so i wanted to have a big enough bowl for them all to lay in at one time),
So you house 3 Regius together and one of them is obviously ill.
You dont see anything wrong with this picture?

Old 02-19-2004, 09:22 PM   #6
Ballpythonboi
Yes Know what you mean but...

I took him to the vet and it was the Zonata disease, but it isnt spreadable, the snake can only get it from something in his environment. I just moved them together and was using 2 kinds of bedding. the other 2 had carefresh, and this guy had a wood bark. This is what the doctor told me, he should know what he is talking about. He told me neosporin was fine (I didnt want to pay 50 bucks for some medical oitment that does the same thing)
Steve

Old 02-19-2004, 09:28 PM   #7
NEWReptiles
Quote:
Yes Know what you mean but...
But nothing, Regius should not be housed together at all, let alone a sick one with two others.

Quote:
This is what the doctor told me, he should know what he is talking about
Yes, he SHOULD. Alot of vets may try to treat herps even though they are unfamiliar with them. I have seen it many times in my area, and now I do not use ANY of them. I got sick of explaining to them how things were supposed to be done.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:31 PM   #8
NEWReptiles
Quote:
but it isnt spreadable, the snake can only get it from something in his environment.
UMMMMM, HUH?

Old 02-19-2004, 09:36 PM   #9
Ballpythonboi
I agree

I keep none of my other ball pythons or boas together, But i had some new boas coming in and needed the space. So I put these babies in a cage togther (only temporary), but I dont not feed them together, I put them in tupperware containers and let them do their thing. I just seperated him and put him in a 18x5X6 plastic container in my rack. Hes doing better already.
Steve

Old 02-19-2004, 09:38 PM   #10
Ballpythonboi
Its what the vet said, but I think it is bull. Never going there again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!