Respitory Infection - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
LRata
Respitory Infection

What is the best thing for a mild respiratory infection? I am very worried and stressed that my snake is distressed because of something I probably caused. Unfortunately, we do not have a experienced exotic vet in my area so I would rather try to help him without using antibiotics since I've heard antibiotics can due damage to a snakes immune system. This is my first time dealing with this issue and I think it is due to a drafty room which I plan to fix the fluctuating temps due to the drafts with a higher quality rheostat in the near future but I do know that this is more then likely my fault and I want it cured and him comfortable ASAP. Please TRY and be easy on me since I am a beginner. Vet ASAP? Or would trying and helping him with temp and humidity changes be better then resorting to a inexperienced vet?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
TheFragginDragon
It depends on the severity of the symptoms. Sometimes, if it's caught in time, a change in it's environment can do the trick. What are the specifics of your set up (type, heat used, thermostat being used (if any), temps at both cool and warm end, substrate)?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
hhmoore
If it is an infection, you won't be able to do much for it with temp and humidity changes.
However, in many cases, the so called respiratory infection is a combination of symptoms caused by husbandry issues. If left unresolved, the snake may develop an infection...but if it hasn't gotten there, yet, you may have some success with raising and regulating the temps & adjusting the humidity.
Unfortunately, we won't be able to differentiate the two conditions over the internet until it has progressed to a point where it is obvious...and at that point, even a relative newcomer should have the common sense to realize it needs medical attention.

As far as temps and humidity, without knowing the current conditions and the type of snake, we can't guide you. (Well, more accurately, I won't guide you - I'm not big on giving cookie cutter advice.) The temperature recommendations are not wholly generic, and the decision to raise or lower humidity will depend on species, current humidity, current symptoms & their severity.

An vet that has little to no reptile experience may simply opt not to see a sick snake... some will; and may, or may not, be willing to take suggestions from the client (but, in that situation, it helps if the client has a decent understanding of the situation and a knowledge of options).

Best of luck with your snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!