I need help please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
crotalis40741
I need help please

A few weeks ago i purchased some 2010 hatchlings, and about a week or so one died, it was odd five days before she died she ate and was fine then just looked dehydrated and starved and just died she never regurged then this week another one died the same way but this one did regurge. I live in rural ky and the vets told me they dont deal with reptiles. I do have a vet supposed to call me in the morning but i dont know. later this evening one of the males regurged for the first time but is acting ok and one of the other males regurged yesterday but isnt showing the symptoms the females did yet. I dont know what this is, but it kills them quick. they all have seperate housing, they all drink the same water as the rest of my collection, i raise my own feeders so all my snakes eat the same mice pool, the temps are good, i have them all in a separate room from the rest of the collection but i did put them in there after they had been here for 3 weeks but none of my other snakes are showing any signs of ill health, and i have other 2010 hatchlings in the reptile room. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
TheFragginDragon
What type of snakes are these?

Old 04-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
crotalis40741
They are corn snakes. 2010 hatchlings

Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
TheFragginDragon
Specifically what type of housing do you have them in, and what are your temps.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
crotalis40741
They are in locking sterlite tubs at 81 deg on the warm side, or were, the breeder told me to take them off the heat. thought they were dehydrated. each has its own container at 6 quarts a container. No problems with water, i raise the mice which i have been doing for 2 years with all my snakes. They are isolated in a different room from my adults but from what some have told me it sounds viral and may be too late for all of my collection.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
TheFragginDragon
The temps certainly seem fine (if the reading was accurate on your thermometer/thermostat). Unfortunately nothing leaps out at me as being the cause of the symptoms. Maybe someone else can chime in with suggestions.

For the time being, I'd just make sure you religiously practice good hygiene when cleaning after, or handling, every hatchling.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
FosterHerpetological
Yea to me it sounds like something that came with the snakes from the person you got them.
Generally speaking, corn snakes are the most hardy I have seen. The only thing I can think of that would make them die so fast is a virus from the breeder.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
hhmoore
Just out of curiosity, are they on the small side for their age?
What temps were you using before you were told to turn off the heat?

Take a fecal sample to a local vet, or take a snake in for a fecal smear - they don't have to "see reptiles" to analyze it. Probably the worst case scenario, with regurging colubrids, is cryptosporidia.

**Edit - just reread your post - what are the temps now, since you turned off the heat.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
crotalis40741
I am really not sure if they are small for thier age, to me all the snakes i have ordered seemed small when they came in. They are about 17 inches long. From everything i can find out about crypto it can take a long time to kill a snake. I am not an expert on it though. I have contacted an out of state vet to see about getting some tests run, the ones here have all told me they dont deal with reptiles. They have been kept at ranging from 75 to 82 since i have had them. I do have other 2010s from other sources that have been kept the same way and are fine. If i have done something wrong with them I would really like to figure it out, but at the moment i cant think of anything that would have caused this.
any ideas and info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
hhmoore
What size prey did you feed them?
Personally, I would probably put the heat back on, with the warm side in the mid 80s (if you can do that and still provide a decent temp gradient with your current setup), and offer only a single nestling (ideally, hairless) rodent at least 2 weeks after the last regurgitation.

With some species (I can't address corns directly), regurgitation easily becomes a cycle if not broken quickly. A little probiotic is beneficial in restoring normal flora and getting things back under control....but that's just a band-aid if there is something nasty going on inside.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!